Ripping / converting DVDs of different regions?

jaydee

Diamond Member
May 6, 2000
Has anyone here successfully ripped/reburned a DVD from a different region? We have some region 2 DVDs that we would like to burn as a region 1, or at the very least, just rip to a plain mp4. I use handbrake for other purposes, but it doesn't appear that it will do this, any thoughts?

Thanks!

poofyhairguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2005
I think Handbrake goes by the region of the DVD drive. Some drives are locked to a region and some are region free. Either change the drive region or use something like dvd decrypter to get around it.

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
That is not controlled by handbrake. You need to change the region of the DVD drive you want to rip them from, and then change it back when you want to burn it (although it is probably best just to burn region free). It is a setting in windows.

jaydee

Diamond Member
May 6, 2000
Thanks guys, I will look into the Windows setting to change the region of the DVD drive and try that.

AnitaPeterson

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2001
My usual recommendation is videohelp.com.

It has not only software solutions, but also a large community and helpful tutorials.

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
Dvd shrink, rip and remove region, done.

With anydvd in the background.

Nov 20, 2009
Thanks guys, I will look into the Windows setting to change the region of the DVD drive and try that.
IIRC, most DVD drive manufacturers limit the number of times you can change the drive's region. You might want to consider adding an inexpensive drive and permanently setting it to the most frequent non-natuive region you plan on playing in.

smitbret

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2006
Dvd shrink, rip and remove region, done.

With anydvd in the background.

Another vote for this. If your project is big or you anticipate doing a lot of ripping in the future, the investment in AnyDVD is solid.

jaydee

Diamond Member
May 6, 2000
So if I buy AnyDVD, I don't have to mess with the regions on the DVD drive or any firmware. I can rip to mp4, and I can create a new DVD with any region I want, is this all correct?

rchunter

Feb 26, 2015
So if I buy AnyDVD, I don't have to mess with the regions on the DVD drive or any firmware. I can rip to mp4, and I can create a new DVD with any region I want, is this all correct?

Correct. You won't have to worry about flashing your drive to rpc-1 firmware. Download it and check it out. They have a free 21 day trial. AnydvdHD will totally disable all region info & CP and let you rip dvd/bluray discs to either to ISO or dvd/bluray structure. I'm not sure if it will let you rip directly to mp4 or not. I don't think so.
Alternately you can use MakeMKV to rip dvd's/blurays directly to mkv format. Also makemkv is totally free. It also disables all region info & CP.

jaydee

Diamond Member
May 6, 2000
Correct. You won't have to worry about flashing your drive to rpc-1 firmware. Download it and check it out. They have a free 21 day trial. AnydvdHD will totally disable all region info & CP and let you rip dvd/bluray discs to either to ISO or dvd/bluray structure. I'm not sure if it will let you rip directly to mp4 or not. I don't think so.
Alternately you can use MakeMKV to rip dvd's/blurays directly to mkv format. Also makemkv is totally free. It also disables all region info & CP.

Thanks!

Can I use AnyDVD with Handbrake to rip to mp4? I already use and am accustomed to HB (encoding OTA TV) and rather not involve more software unless I have to. I want to get all this straight before I start the 21 day trial so I don't waste three weeks trying to figure it out.

smitbret

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2006
Thanks!

Can I use AnyDVD with Handbrake to rip to mp4? I already use and am accustomed to HB (encoding OTA TV) and rather not involve more software unless I have to. I want to get all this straight before I start the 21 day trial so I don't waste three weeks trying to figure it out.

Absolutely. Just run AnyDVD in the background and load the disc into Handbrake.

I have done it a few times but I prefer to just rip to an .iso and mount as a virtual drive (with WinCDemu) before loading into Handbrake. Why? Because I hate listening to the Optical Drive spin up and down and up and down and up and down and up and down for the entire time it is encoding. Those suckers get hot when they do that and it can't be good for the drive. When I started ripping BD, there was no way I was gonna let it spin up and down for several hours like that while it encoded.

I also like to do things in batches so I only have to sit down once to re encode many discs. I rip a few, mount them all and then just queue up the jobs in Handbrake. Sometimes it saves times cuz I can start mounting and loading the jobs in Handbrake while the next one rips.

DesiPower

Lifer
Nov 22, 2008

Wont MakeMKV do that for free?

jaydee

Diamond Member
May 6, 2000
AnyDVD and CloneDVD (both on 21 day trials).

I tried handbrake to *.mp4 (AnyDVD running in the background), but it only ripped it to English language (want Castilian Spanish). I only tried it once though, I'll have to play with that more.

jkauff

Oct 4, 2012
AnyDVD and CloneDVD (both on 21 day trials).

I tried handbrake to *.mp4 (AnyDVD running in the background), but it only ripped it to English language (want Castilian Spanish). I only tried it once though, I'll have to play with that more.
You need to add the audio tracks you want in the Handbrake settings. By default, it will only use the first track which is usually English.