RIP tommy lasorda, dodgers manager

foghorn67

Lifer
Jan 3, 2006
I thought he was nuts, but as a kid he was the only one I observed consistently since his tenure lasted longer than my entire childhood. So the whole manager yelling at the umpire on the mound was with his imagery.

When I moved out he frequented the grocery store I went to during my post high school years, he seemed really nice and down to earth. It reminded me of working at a sandwich shop in Anaheim, we got a few Angels players that would pick up a sandwich as part of their routine. They just seemed like regular guys, just more confident and more athletic than most. Even their cars weren't too flashy. A stark contrast to today. A few years ago I saw this show where this car "expert" would offer three selections to a buyer based on some customer criteria. One of them was a rookie Angels pitcher that had a perfectly fine car but had to buy something obscene to fit in.

Reactions: brianmanahan

manly

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
RIP. Never liked his teams or him, but he was a good manager.
He was an awesome skipper. Remember the time he took American college players minor leaguers to the Olympic Games and beat the world's professional teams.

Last edited:

Grey_Beard

Golden Member
Sep 23, 2014
He was an awesome skipper. Remember the time he took American college players to the Olympic Games and beat the world's professional teams.

Yes I do. That was magical. Just like Bellichek, I respect is ability to coach but do not like him one iota.

Spacehead

Lifer
Jun 2, 2002
RIP Tommy
rose.gif

I was never a big baseball fan buy i remember my granddad had a few pictures taken with him. He'd see him during spring training in Florida.
Don't know enough about him to dislike him or not... just seemed like he was the Dodgers manager almost forever.