RIP Sheldon Brown...

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
Text

Dear Harris Cyclery friends and customers,
It is with heavy hearts that we convey to you the news that Sheldon Brown has passed away. Our thoughts go out to his family at this time. The cycling community has lost one of it's most passionate members.

Just heard about this on Bikeforums.com. Apparently, he suffered a heart attack yesterday. He was 63 years old.

Pretty much sums it up for me: Cycling has lost a great ambassador and friend.

I've learned a great deal of information about wrenching on bikes from his website over the years.

:(
rose.gif

classy

Lifer
Oct 12, 1999
Man when I seen the name Sheldon Brown I thought it was Sheldon from the Eagles. But my condolescenses.

fatpat268

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2006
Originally posted by: classy
Man when I seen the name Sheldon Brown I thought it was Sheldon from the Eagles. But my condolescenses.

ditto

RIP

Capt Caveman

Lifer
Jan 30, 2005
<a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.boston.com/news/local/massachusetts/articles/2008/02/08/homepsun_wisdom/">Homepsun wisdom
Beloved Newton bike-shop mechanic, cyber-sage Sheldon Brown will be missed</a>

PClark99

Diamond Member
Jan 12, 2000
Originally posted by: BrokenVisage
So it's NOT the Eagles CB Sheldon Brown, right? Whew.. RIP whoever this guy is though.

I was thinking the same thing at first, just what the team needed was another Jerome Brown moment.

Kev

Lifer
Dec 17, 2001
Originally posted by: classy

Yeah me too, I thought things couldn't get worse after hearing they put the franchise tag on LJ Smith.

zebano

Diamond Member
Jun 15, 2005
=(

This is sad news even though I never knew the guy outside of bike forums. Hopefully someone maintains that excellent web site of his.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
Originally posted by: zebano
=(

This is sad news even though I never knew the guy outside of bike forums. Hopefully someone maintains that excellent web site of his.

I knew him from there and his website. I almost bought a fixie from him a while back that he was selling on ebay.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
Originally posted by: arrfep
Whaaat?? :(

His pages on the Harris Cyclery site were like an encyclopedia of esoteric cycle-knowledge. Learned tons about fixies and SS's from there...and about understanding gear inches when I was setting up my touring bike.

Sad.
rose.gif

But I have to disagree with this:
Originally posted by: skyking
Link to one of my favorite "products".
RIP Sheldon.

All Time Best Product.

Almost got one of those instead of a Brooks. ;)

I always liked his method of chain cleaning. If you want your chain clean...there really is no other way. ;)

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
Originally posted by: arrfep
Whaaat?? :(

His pages on the Harris Cyclery site were like an encyclopedia of esoteric cycle-knowledge. Learned tons about fixies and SS's from there...and about understanding gear inches when I was setting up my touring bike.

Sad.
rose.gif

But I have to disagree with this:
Originally posted by: skyking
Link to one of my favorite "products".
RIP Sheldon.

All Time Best Product.

Almost got one of those instead of a Brooks. ;)

I agree, the saddle is classic. I like the torque-grip because it crosses over into general mechaniking, another passion of mine:)