Question RIP Internet Explorer

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Going from controlling 90%+ of the market to single digits by its end was only something Steve Ballmer could have screwed up so badly. :eek:

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
on Win11 create an IE11.vbs file on your desktop with code
Code:
CreateObject("InternetExplorer.Application").Visible=true

double click it and you will get full feature IE 11 if you really need it. (ex. very old modem/router or very old security cameras from China)

Reactions: VirtualLarry

Chiefcrowe

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2008
Definitely won't miss it. It's unfortunately they stopped innovating so market share too a huge dive! oh well, maybe they learned their lesson - at least Edge is pretty good.

Unfortunately I've found a bug or issue that I don't believe is resolved yet - When I try to remove IE from Windows 10 pcs, it removes the ability to click on a link to open it in Outlook. Apparently some functionality is tied in from IE to Outlook... I guess that is fixed in Win11 now but probably won't be in 10 now.

Chiefcrowe

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2008
Also it is unfortunate that some LTSC versions of Windows Server will still have IE and continue to support it for a few years...

I was happy to see that Server 2022 had Edge installed by default. I'm pretty sure it doesn't have IE at all :D