RIP Gamers, not even the 1080 Ti will save you now.

Page 20 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

kondziowy

Feb 19, 2016
"Getting Vega Everywhere..."
https://www.anandtech.com/show/1231...n-exclusive-interview-with-dr-lisa-su-amd-ceo

Everywhere... except in stock! Still though, looks like AMD is executing their plan, like many of those on this forum said that they were trying to do.

Every time I see a comment like that I think they're trolling us...

Go at it..... it's all out war at this point... go make yourself some money if you see the opportunity!
They were in stock in the last week and are still today. Newegg and overclockers.co.uk has Red Devil V64 all the time, and casekings has Gigabyte V56 all the time. And looks like casekings will have Sapphire V56 Nitro soon. Prices are ridiculous of course.

The only way to stop this is imminent flood of second hand gpu's.

Madpacket

Platinum Member
Nov 15, 2005
You guys should give this a read. Has a nice breakdown of the different types of staking and why none of them are really replacements for Ethereum hereto as they all lack in at least one of the three major pillars.

https://medium.com/loom-network/sca...thereum-killer-hasnt-arrived-yet-8f60a88e46c0

This is why it's taking time for scaling solutions to be implemented on the Ethereum Blockchain.

Lots of game theory, economics, and math involved but if they get it right it's going to be bye bye to proof of work which will make gamers and arm-chair environmentalists happy.

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
That's a whole lot of IF's lol
It took me all of one afternoon to figure out the following:
Power capacity of my rental structure, including which amperage circuits went where.
Verification of wire gauge size for specific circuit was up to code for circuit amperage.
What wattage envelope I needed to stay under to keep from tripping breakers.
Speccing out hardware which provided what I was looking for (density over 20A circuit).

The if's are pretty limited here, we're not building a hydro dam after all. Only one you can't really account for is the coin price, but that's par for this course.

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
I just snagged one EVGA 1080TI FTW3 6696 for $820, and $20 shipping from EVGA !!!! I tried for number 2, but they said my limit was reached, so at least its good they are checking.

Reactions: ZGR

pcslookout

Lifer
Mar 18, 2007
I just snagged one EVGA 1080TI FTW3 6696 for $820, and $20 shipping from EVGA !!!! I tried for number 2, but they said my limit was reached, so at least its good they are checking.

Good deal at least not for the shipping.

I hate EVGA Shipping prices.

Markfw

May 16, 2002
Good deal at least not for the shipping.

I hate EVGA Shipping prices.
And I just snagged a EVGA 1080TI SC2 card for $30 less, but I was so excited, I accidentally clicked the next day air for $30 more. Oh well, I will switch out my FTW3 in the computer I am typing on, so my new threadripper system will have a matched pair.

Last edited:

Markfw

May 16, 2002
I just found out. Right now they are only selling to EVGA Elite members, thats how I snagged one

Reactions: Headfoot

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
I just found out. Right now they are only selling to EVGA Elite members, thats how I snagged one
Yeah, they had a 1070 in stock as well, but during the time it took me to login with my elite status it sold out. :(

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
EVGA makes great cards. I wanted the ftw 1080ti when they first came out but they released much later than the rest of the AIB manufacturers. Would definitely buy them again too.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000

That's actually not a bad policy. Cypto ICOs use a "know your customer" (KYC) process sometimes for people looking to make large token purchases during the ICO, to prevent people from buying up the entire token allocation. It's appropriate that EVGA would be effectively doing the same thing to make sure that individuals don't win up with too many retail cards.

bsp2020

Dec 29, 2015
Did you guys notice? Titan Xp Galactic Editions are sold out as well.
It looks like the only way you can afford a gaming gpu is by buying NVidia stock or mining Crypto coins and pay the inflated prices...
The last affordable GPU left to buy is Vega FE...

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
And I just snagged a EVGA 1080TI SC2 card for $30 less, but I was so excited, I accidentally clicked the next day air for $30 more. Oh well, I will switch out my FTW3 in the computer I am typing on, so my new threadripper system will have a matched pair.

One thing that may be worth noting is that I don't think the SC2 has any water blocks available for it if you ever wanted to water cool. On the other hand, the SC Black (reference) and FTW3 do have blocks available. Although, if you're paying +$100 over the SC Black just for the FTW3, I'd feel a bit bad paying an extra $150 after that for a water block.

Markfw

May 16, 2002
One thing that may be worth noting is that I don't think the SC2 has any water blocks available for it if you ever wanted to water cool. On the other hand, the SC Black (reference) and FTW3 do have blocks available. Although, if you're paying +$100 over the SC Black just for the FTW3, I'd feel a bit bad paying an extra $150 after that for a water block.
I got the SC2 for $790 and the FTW3 for $820, and the boost mhz is only 100 more on the FTW3, so I am happy. for now.

Charlie22911

Mar 19, 2005

I have two 1080ti SC2s watercooled with EK-FC FE blocks, the PCB is identical to FE 1080ti minus an extra connector by the PCIe slot, which I dremeled out easily as it’s not within the water path.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
I have two 1080ti SC2s watercooled with EK-FC FE blocks, the PCB is identical to FE 1080ti minus an extra connector by the PCIe slot, which I dremeled out easily as it’s not within the water path.

Ah, so it requires a tiny bit of modding. I figured that the SC2 wasn't really that different than the SC Black, which is a reference card. It just has two fan connectors instead of one, and a few more sensors. I assume that extra fan connector is what you mean, and the sensors are so small that I doubt they'd ever get in the way. When I was looking up what card to get to replace my 1080 Ti FE (I couldn't stand not using DVI), EK stated that they had no plans on ever making a block for the SC2.

Charlie22911

Mar 19, 2005
Ah, so it requires a tiny bit of modding. I figured that the SC2 wasn't really that different than the SC Black, which is a reference card. It just has two fan connectors instead of one, and a few more sensors. I assume that extra fan connector is what you mean, and the sensors are so small that I doubt they'd ever get in the way. When I was looking up what card to get to replace my 1080 Ti FE (I couldn't stand not using DVI), EK stated that they had no plans on ever making a block for the SC2.

I have the SC Black as well, the fans on it both sync. On the SC2 the fans are controlled independently which adds the second connector.
Layout location of the RAM, GPU, and VRMs are identical, with slight differences in the other surface mount components that have little bearing on the fitment of the water block. Mounting holes are also the same.
EVGA could have easily made the SC2 compatable with FE blocks by using a smaller fan connector because clearance is so close to working without modification as it is...

Fx1

Golden Member
Aug 22, 2012
When the UK makes trading crypto illegal i will watch and laugh at the losses people are going to see.

There is zero need for a crypto currency, the energy waste is crazy and criminals and terrorist states like north korea and Iran are using it to get around embargo.

Its screwing the PC gaming market and the only way this insanity ends is when lots of people are left holding worthless imaginary currency.

When the UK bans this it will cause a wave of fear over the rest of the developed world who will follow.

To put this in to perspective i cannot even buy a new car with more than £3000 in cash because of money laundering rules. Banks have already banned house deposits from crypto profits as they cannot verify their origin thus opening themselves to money laundering prosecutions. We are being asked to show where these deposits have come from and prove it.

The end is near...

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Sorry that you live in such an un-free country. I heard that you're not allowed to have guns either.

Edit: I read an article, that Japan and Australia passed laws making Crypto-currencies explicitly legal for commerce transactions. Where will that put the UK then, if they ban it? Below Japan and AU, which ironically used to be a UK prison colony. Shame that the prisoners have more freedoms, huh.

iiiankiii

Apr 4, 2008
When the UK makes trading crypto illegal i will watch and laugh at the losses people are going to see.

There is zero need for a crypto currency, the energy waste is crazy and criminals and terrorist states like north korea and Iran are using it to get around embargo.

Its screwing the PC gaming market and the only way this insanity ends is when lots of people are left holding worthless imaginary currency.

When the UK bans this it will cause a wave of fear over the rest of the developed world who will follow.

To put this in to perspective i cannot even buy a new car with more than £3000 in cash because of money laundering rules. Banks have already banned house deposits from crypto profits as they cannot verify their origin thus opening themselves to money laundering prosecutions. We are being asked to show where these deposits have come from and prove it.

The end is near...

Sure, guy. B/C having paper fiat is SOOO much more energy efficient and resourceful? Must sucks to live in a police state like the UK.

PigSkinYtBoi

Jan 28, 2018
Game studios have NO incentive to go beyond console level graphics for real now. With the XBOX1X it's not that horrible aside from higher framerates.

On the other hand many the most popular PC multiplayer games on PC can practically run on APU graphics anyways so it won't change much there IMHO.
It's not like devs were going much further than console graphics anyway seeing as people always have to zoom in 300% in their comparison videos of a $1500 platform with no games besides low budget shovelware and a platform full of AAA exclusives

Reactions: Madpacket

Charlie22911

Mar 19, 2005
FPS is a huge reason I don’t play much console stuff. After playing games at ~100hz, 60hz just feels so much less fluid. Destiny 2 on Xbox @ 30fps would murder my eyes.

Reactions: Madpacket and ZGR

Madpacket

Platinum Member
Nov 15, 2005

The end is near...

Awesome trolling attempt. A+ for effort!

Reactions: Headfoot