Right-Wing Conservatives Slam Pixar's WALL-E

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

her209

No Lifer
Oct 11, 2000
Originally posted by: ScottyB
I have never understood why conservatives hate environmentalism so much. What could possibly be so bad about making the place we live cleaner? Are these people insane?
$$$

TerryMathews

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
FWIW I did think the movie was a little heavy-handed in its political agenda for a children's movie. It was entertaining as hell and A Great Movie, but I don't know something just rubbed me a little wrong about the way they protrayed Buy-n-Large and the post-evac world.

Of course, having Joe Isuzu as the president of BnL probably didn't help.

BeauJangles

Lifer
Aug 26, 2001
Originally posted by: her209
I have never understood why conservatives hate environmentalism so much. What could possibly be so bad about making the place we live cleaner? Are these people insane?
$$$

What makes it stranger, though, is that the stereotypical conservative lives in a smaller town and spends more time outdoors than your stereotypical liberal, who's an idiotic urbanite.

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
Originally posted by: her209
$$$
Money AND power among other things.

Read this from Patrick Moore one of the founders of Greenpeace
"Two profound events triggered the split between those advocating a pragmatic or "liberal" approach to ecology and the new "zero-tolerance" attitude of the extremists. The first event, mentioned previously, was the widespread adoption of the environmental agenda by the mainstream of business and government. This left environmentalists with the choice of either being drawn into collaboration with their former "enemies" or of taking ever more extreme positions. Many environmentalists chose the latter route. They rejected the concept of "sustainable development" and took a strong "anti-development" stance.

"Surprisingly enough the second event that caused the environmental movement to veer to the left was the fall of the Berlin Wall. Suddenly the international peace movement had a lot less to do. Pro-Soviet groups in the West were discredited. Many of their members moved into the environmental movement bringing with them their eco-Marxism and pro-Sandinista sentiments.

"These factors have contributed to a new variant of the environmental movement that is so extreme that many people, including myself, believe its agenda is a greater threat to the global environment than that posed by mainstream society. "
The environmentalists don't just want to make the place cleaner, they want to tell you how to live your life too.

First

Lifer
Jun 3, 2002
Originally posted by: ScottMac
Originally posted by: thraashman
I'm always happy when the radical right proves just how unbelievably retarded they are. I mean can their heads get farther up their asses?

It's not even worth trying, the Dems hold the record and are showing considerable promise at keeping it. Recto-cranial inversion has no party boundaries.

Post of the month. :laugh: