Right to Die decision gets stay

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
linky

what a horrible thing to have to deal with.

What's your opinion on this case?

:(

Cattlegod

Diamond Member
May 22, 2001
kill her, i know i would want to be killed at that point. hell, if i lose a limb i'd probably want to be killed.

NakaNaka

Diamond Member
Aug 29, 2000
Originally posted by: ElFenix
remind me to make a living will

Amen to that. I am definitely going to have a DNR and all that jazz that states that if I'm not going to make it, pull the plug, so my body/soul/family can get on with it. What is happening to this woman is so sad and it makes me sick that politicians get involved in this.

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Just pull the plug already. If it were me, and I couldn't do anything but stare and had to be fed through a tube and piss in a bag, I'd call the grim reaper myself

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
These people have an odd view about what "life" is. But then again, the Pope thinks that being kept alive by modern medical machines is somehow "God's Will" and that removing those machines is "suicide"... :roll:

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: anxi80
Doctors have ruled she is in a persistent vegetative state with no hope for recovery.
just let her go.
Her parents refuse to believe that. They think she will just miracleously wake up completely normal, like nothing ever happened.

She won't and I know about this from personal experience.

RaDragon

Diamond Member
May 23, 2000
Originally posted by: Vic
These people have an odd view about what "life" is. But then again, the Pope thinks that being kept alive by modern medical machines is somehow "God's Will" and that removing those machines is "suicide"... :roll:

Really, or is that just your understanding of it?

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
Loving your child good. Keeping her alive as a vegetable against her wishes for 14 years is cruelty not love. If they're right and some tiny part of her brain is still functioning it probably is just screaming "let me die" over and over.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Originally posted by: Iron Woode
Originally posted by: anxi80
Doctors have ruled she is in a persistent vegetative state with no hope for recovery.
just let her go.
Her parents refuse to believe that. They think she will just miracleously wake up completely normal, like nothing ever happened.

She won't and I know about this from personal experience.
They are locked in denial and just don't get it. She's dead. Just a machine maintains the semblence of life now, but that isn't life and never will be. They need to free her soul and let her rest in peace.

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
They think she will just miracleously wake up completely normal, like nothing ever happened.

I can just see it now. She turns her head and looks into her mother's eyes...she opens her mouth and says

"I wuz juz fvckin' wit ya!"

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: RaDragon

The lawyer for the parents also said he is preparing a motion to ask the U.S. Supreme Court (news - web sites) to consider the family's claim that Terri Schiavo should be spared based on statements by Pope John Paul (news - web sites) II that people in vegetative states have a right to nutrition and hydration. They say Terri, as a practicing Roman Catholic, would have obeyed the pope and would not choose to have her tube removed.

This paragraph says it all. The Pope is being ridiculous. He is just pushing life at all costs, including commonsense.

The family is really grasping at straws in their belief she will wake up fine.

Boze

Dec 20, 2004
Call me the world's greatest optimist, but I don't believe in the words 'no hope'. As long as at least one human being gives a damn about something, there's a glimmer of hope, no matter what it is that person cares about.
I can't speak for this woman, her parents, or her husband, and I defintely don't give a damn about how the church feels, but I would want to be kept alive as long as medicine would allow, in the hope that one day, medical science would have progressed far enough to repair the damage done to me.

RaDragon

Diamond Member
May 23, 2000

The lawyer for the parents also said he is preparing a motion to ask the U.S. Supreme Court (news - web sites) to consider the family's claim that Terri Schiavo should be spared based on statements by Pope John Paul (news - web sites) II that people in vegetative states have a right to nutrition and hydration. They say Terri, as a practicing Roman Catholic, would have obeyed the pope and would not choose to have her tube removed.

This paragraph says it all. The Pope is being ridiculous. He is just pushing life at all costs, including commonsense.

Thanks, IW.

Originally posted by: Boze
Call me the world's greatest optimist, but I don't believe in the words 'no hope'. As long as at least one human being gives a damn about something, there's a glimmer of hope, no matter what it is that person cares about.
I can't speak for this woman, her parents, or her husband, and I defintely don't give a damn about how the church feels, but I would want to be kept alive as long as medicine would allow, in the hope that one day, medical science would have progressed far enough to repair the damage done to me.

Well said!

I'm still going to sign a DNR or wear a yellow band :)

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999

Since when does the Pope have any say-so in the US judicial system?

Siva

Diamond Member
Mar 8, 2001
They should just give her an overdose of morphine so she doesn't have to stay alive for a few days without food and water.

RaDragon

Diamond Member
May 23, 2000
Originally posted by: NFS4

Since when does the Pope have any say-so in the US judicial system?

Religious freedom?

Martin

Lifer
Jan 15, 2000
Originally posted by: ElFenix
remind me to make a living will
I thought this was a good idea until I realized I have nothing in my name except lots of unpaid student loans :frown:

As for the topid, I'd agree....its cruel to let a person "live" like this, expecially if she's expressed wishes to be disconnected (as the article mentions).

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
I feel sad that the parents don't realize their daughter is already dead. I feel worse for the husband who has to deal with all of it. That $1mil deal throws an interesting wrench in it though.

digitalsm

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2003

There are documented cases of spontanious recovery. Is it likely? No.

Im a bit torn on this case. Considering the "husband" has a fiance, and multiple kids. I dont think he should have had guardian ship all these years nor do I believe the courts should have allowed him to exhaust the medical trust fund to pay for his lawyers in an effort to terminate her life.

Stark

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2000
i can sort of see why Clint made the Catholic Church/pope look stupid in million dollar baby when he makes comments like that.

digitalsm

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2003
Originally posted by: rh71
I feel sad that the parents don't realize their daughter is already dead. I feel worse for the husband who has to deal with all of it. That $1mil deal throws an interesting wrench in it though.

Considering he has a fiance and multiple kids with her, I dont know why you feel "worse" for him.

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
Originally posted by: digitalsm
Im a bit torn on this case. Considering the "husband" has a fiance, and multiple kids. I dont think he should have had guardian ship all these years nor do I believe the courts should have allowed him to exhaust the medical trust fund to pay for his lawyers in an effort to terminate her life.
His wife has been a vegetable since 1990, do you think it's wrong for him to have a fiance in 2005? He is trying to carry out his wife's wishes, the parents are keeping her shell alive.

"The court has consistently upheld lower court rulings that Terri Schiavo had expressed wishes not to be kept alive artificially, although she left no written directive."

Why not honor her wishes?

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: digitalsm
Originally posted by: rh71

Considering he has a fiance and multiple kids with her, I dont know why you feel "worse" for him.

He can't get married if his wife is still alive.