Ridiculous expectations for interns

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

secretanchitman

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2001
Originally posted by: TuxDave
We grind our interns at Intel. Several interns have been designing blocks (simplier ones of course) that will go into the next processor.

core 3 trio? haha...

i hope the Q6600 for $266 later this year is true.

her209

No Lifer
Oct 11, 2000
Originally posted by: daniel1113
When I worked as an intern last summer, the other employees worked us as much as possible. I worked ~12 hours almost every day, and was always there before and after the regular staff arrived. They didn't do it to be jerks or to abuse us (although they really did), but to weed out the individuals that could work under pressure, manage their time, and get the job done.
That's exactly what they want you to think. In reality, they're playing air hockey in the rec room while the interns slave away on their work and on top of it, they get to take credit for it. (after checking it of course) ;)

EDIT: ^^^ That's the real reason why they let the bad interns go.

SoLiDus88

Mar 18, 2002
i finished my summer project in a week but of course i stretched it out and made sure to be thorough as hell. but for the most part i was sitting on my ass(got paid very well too).

but as an intern, its not about the work you do but to network with the right people to secure yourself a full-time position (if you like the company).

kedlav

Aug 2, 2006
Originally posted by: SarcasticDwarf
Is it some kind of requirement that inters be expected to do a job normally expected of someone with years of experience in the field getting paid 6-10x as much? Argh.

*bangs head on desk*

In my case half the day I am sitting there TRYING to think of something to do (everyone i work with can see my screen, so it is difficult). The other half is being given work like preparing a report analyzing a specific industry in a specific region and its impact on the local economy.

Yes. In fact, I do more work than most regular employees around here. Granted, I don't have their qualifications (I'm working on a Master's in math, this is a IT firm), but I do the same job with less errors and more productivity. Get used to it

KillerCharlie

Diamond Member
Aug 21, 2005
For my internship I got to work on aircraft technology development. They gave me difficult work, but didn't expect it to all be finished (they wanted to challenge me but not bury me in work). They also paid for my last year of college ($16k) so I can't complain...