Riddle

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

apac

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2003
Originally posted by: Goosemaster
Originally posted by: apac
Maybe something to do with the Pythagorean theorem? A right triangle with sides of length 1, 2 and 3.

345....this is not 345

Oops, nevermind. It's been a while since basic algebra :eek:.

yankeesfan

Diamond Member
Aug 6, 2004
Originally posted by: RedArmy
Read the OP again, my friend just informed me it was one "yes or no" question...F'ing a.

"Could you tell me your number, but use Yes for 1, No for 2, and keep silent for 3, please?"

This assumes that they must answer.

dighn

Lifer
Aug 12, 2001
this is a bit contrived but... "I'm thinking of a number betwen 1.5 or 2, is your number > than mine?"
yes - 3
no - 1
maybe - 2

RedArmy

Platinum Member
Mar 1, 2005
Originally posted by: dighn
this is a bit contrived but... "I'm thinking of a number betwen 1.5 or 2, is your number > than mine?"
yes - 3
no - 1
maybe - 2

I can see what you're getting at, but it's a strict yes or no question, so the option of "maybe" isn't there.

Leros

Lifer
Jul 11, 2004
How can a yes or not question answer this? yes/no describes two options but there are three numbers to choose from.

dighn

Lifer
Aug 12, 2001
Originally posted by: Leros
How can a yes or not question answer this? yes/no describes two options but there are three numbers to choose from.

ditto. I'm not sure if a strictly yes/no answer is possible considering that you have three options. if you simply stick to two, you'll end up with ambiguity regardless.

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001
Which word has the same number of letters as the number you're thinking of, yes or no?

If it's yes, it's 3
If it's no, it's 2
If they don't answer or say neither, it's 1

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
I think that coming up with a math equation for which the answer is very simple to find for two of the values, and difficult to find for the 3rd value might be the way to go.

i.e. if he answers yes, the answer is 1.
if he answers no, the answer is 2
if he cannot answer the question because the problem is unsolvable in a realistic amount of time, then the answer is 3

see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Complexity_classes_P_and_NP

Goosemaster

Lifer
Apr 10, 2001
Some examples of differentiating attributes are that:

1 is not a prime number and is odd
2 is a prime number and even
3 is a prime number and odd

10 is evenly divisible by 1 which results in 10, which is even
10 is evenly divisible by 2 and equal to a value less and is odd
10 is not evenly divisible by 3

silverpig

Lifer
Jul 29, 2001
Originally posted by: DrPizza
I think that coming up with a math equation for which the answer is very simple to find for two of the values, and difficult to find for the 3rd value might be the way to go.

if he cannot answer the question because the problem is unsolvable in a realistic amount of time, then the answer is 3

Give him some instructions like:

Assign the value of your number to the variable x. Compute (x-1)^(51200329123/443). Does the number which results from this computation have a 0 in the "ones" (first to the left of the decimal) place?

If x = 1, then the number is 0, and he'll answer yes.
If x = 2, then the number is 1, and he'll answer no.
If x = 3, then he'll have to do a lot of crunching and you'll know it's 3.

yankeesfan

Diamond Member
Aug 6, 2004
Originally posted by: silverpig

Assign the value of your number to the variable x. Compute (x-1)^(51200329123/443). Does the number which results from this computation have a 0 in the "ones" (first to the left of the decimal) place?

I think that this is the best way to go. Good job Dr. Pizza and Silver Pig.

Goosemaster

Lifer
Apr 10, 2001

That assumes that time is also a factor.

yankeesfan

Diamond Member
Aug 6, 2004
Originally posted by: Goosemaster

That assumes that time is also a factor.

True. Mental competence also would have to be a factor. Some people may solve all of them on a calculator. It would take the same amount of time for each....

RedArmy

Platinum Member
Mar 1, 2005
Well, I'm off to bed. Answers so far look promising. I'll try and find out the answer from my T.A. later today if possible.

Thanks for the contributions thus far.