Richard Stallman looking for a place to stay for a bit

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
RMS is great, and I'd put him up for a weekend or something, but I don't think I could deal with him for 2-6 months.

ultimatebob

Lifer
Jul 1, 2001
Something tells me that he would be really annoying to hang around with, and that his personal hygiene probably sucks. Hard pass, thanks.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Haha funny I was thinking the same about hygiene for some reason he crosses me as someone that has a strong "old man perfume" smell mixed with BO. :p

I kinda feel bad for him though, now that he stepped down from GNU / FSF I think that will be a huge emotional hit for him. That's basically what his life was about. Yeah he said stupid shit recently but words should not be enough for people to completely ruin your life.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
Yea, he's unfiltered, and most of(but not 100%) of the things he says are well reasoned and logical, but unpopular. You're expected to not point out the elephant in the corner in polite company, but RMS shines a spotlight on it.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
Invented open source software as a concept. Soon to only be remembered as "that guy who thinks sex with children isn't sexual assault because reasons."
He'd have your head on a pike for the bolded. He doesn't support, or advocate for "open source". That's also a condition of giving interviews. You must always discuss "free software" in that term. He won't talk about open source.

The second part depends on what you're talking about. He's revised his position on some of what he's said in the past, and everything he writes needs to be precisely parsed. He writes exactly what he means, and if you interpolate and/or extrapolate, you're probably gonna get it wrong. Most people are used to squishy discussion, and get offended by things he never even said.

Reactions: JEDIYoda