RG6/RG59 & Cable Modem

Com807877

Jun 26, 2001
Hi all,

I currently have RG59 in my house, and my cable modem randomly loses it's connection to Road Runner. I also have ghosting and static on some channels so I figure it's time to do something about it.

I'm thinking about replacing the line to the cable modem with RG6 and getting rid of the old RG59. Does anyone know how likely it is this would fix the problem?

The cable wire is also spliced with old F-81 connectors. (they should be over 10 years old) The wall plates also use them. If I were to replace them with 3ghz rated F-81 connectors would this help any?

Thanks for any advice.

Shogun

Oct 13, 1999
If you are getting ghosting/static on your TV, it sounds like you are suffering from some over the air bleed. Before you replace all the cable, I suggest you try removing and recrimping on decent Type-F connectors. Here's a link to a page I found with Google. If you look in the section in the left-hand pane there is a section on stripping coax cable.

As for the problems with your cable modem dropping out I can't say why it is doing that. It could be the signal strength, a bad splitter somewhere. I would call the cable company to come out and check it out.

Mar 10, 2005
Why not call the cable company and have them do it? The quality of hardware they should use (RG-6 quad shield cable, compression fittings, 1 GHz splitters, etc.) isn't usually available to most people. Besides, aren't you paying for decent service? Put in a trouble call. Ghosting can have 3 sources. Either broadcast channels are leaking into the cable somewhere (not necessarily in your house), there is a cable network problem, or your TV is all done.