Question Rewiring a condo

branimal

Aug 8, 2018
I’m gut renovating my condo so I have all the walls open.

I ran coax and Ethernet cable to each room from a closet that will have my router and cable modem.

Does it make sense to run an Ethernet cable to my Living room where my main television will be?

I feel like sometimes there are lags when using WiFi.

Thanks

This forum does not allow a Tapatalk sig.
Signature has been deleted.
Moderator Aigo

Last edited by a moderator:

mv2devnull

Golden Member
Apr 13, 2010
Yes. TV, console, bluray-player, etc are good wired clients. Like you said: to each room.

I hope you run two Ethernet to each destination. Cost difference is small and then you have spares.

Furthermore, look where on ceiling there would be optimal spots for wireless access points and run Ethernet there too. APs can be powered with that same cable (PoE).

branimal

Aug 8, 2018
Yes. TV, console, bluray-player, etc are good wired clients. Like you said: to each room.

I hope you run two Ethernet to each destination. Cost difference is small and then you have spares.

Furthermore, look where on ceiling there would be optimal spots for wireless access points and run Ethernet there too. APs can be powered with that same cable (PoE).

Why two Ethernet cables to each room? Can’t I split them at the destination if needed?

This forum does not allow a Tapatalk sig.
Signature has been deleted.
Moderator Aigo

Last edited by a moderator:

mv2devnull

Golden Member
Apr 13, 2010
How would you "split" a cable?

* Cat 5,5e,6,7 cable has four pairs of wires. 8 wires. A passive "splitter" can divide them into two groups of 4 wires. You can have up to 100Mbps with 4 wires, but a 1Gbps link requires all 8 wires.

* You can add a switch between the run and the devices in the room, but a switch is additional active device that requires power.

If something happens to the cable, then you can take the other run into use rather than wait the repair of the one and only run.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Yea, run two, you don't need to terminate both right away, but nice to have a spare

You can use a switch in the TV area to connect multiple devices with a single drop.

Eric Fazekas

Jun 27, 2017
I didn't run two wires, but when I built my ranch house (mostly one story) I used "Smurf tube" from the wall box to the attic space (to stick out of the insulation). My hope is this would allow me to make repairs or future upgrades (in theroy).'

That said, in some rooms I'm not using the drop at all, in other rooms I wish I had run an additional drop (or more). Behind the TV is a must. Even Amazon's Fire Stick has a hard-wire dongle available. So behind my living room TV I have a wire going to the TV and one going to the Fire Stick. If you have a TV for a gamer then one to the TV and one to the X-Box.

As for splitting it...as a previous post said, you would need a switch. If you're looking for a clean look, you need the jacks and the power wall plugs at TV height.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
i would also run a conduit like eric states to run my cables.
This makes it a lot easier to do a pull / replace should a wire fail.
Have them avoid 90 degree's if possible.

Sure the conduit will increase prices, but if your going to keep the place for a while, it will pay for itself if you have a wire fail and need replacing.

Also make sure PLEASE do not use CCA cables, and go with solid core copper.
Ive seen so many times people try to save the couple dollars and go with CCA (copper clad alu) cables and it makes me cringe.

Reactions: Eric Fazekas

SamirD

Golden Member
Jun 12, 2019
www.huntsvillecarscene.com
We ran ethernet wire in 1995 in my parents house. 2 runs of cat5 (5e didn't exist), 1 coax, 1 phone to each and every room. Some rooms only 1 cat5 run worked, some rooms missed both, but having 2 runs is great for centralized management (not having switches everywhere) and for convenience as it's a pain to add a switch just for one more jack.

QuietDad

Dec 18, 2005
As a cable installer, another reason to run two wires is inevitably you or someone will want to move the ISP's router from where you have it now or where your going to put it. Having two wires from the initial thinking hub to every access point makes it very easy to move a modem anywhere and use one cable to get the modem back to the patch panel and the other back from the patch panel for equipment in the room.

Reactions: SamirD

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Having two ports vs one is, you are installing a box. A second cable is cheap and offers flexibility in the future. If you have a second wired device in the room, you dont need to use a switch in the room to get it access.

I also agree 110% if you have open walls. Plan for POE security cameras.