rewiring a 1/4" headset, & where to find DECENT 1/4" extension cable?

GunsMadeAmericaFree

Golden Member
Jan 23, 2007
My oldest son's room is right outside where we have our TV. If anyone wants to watch something late or very early, we need to wear headphones.

I have an old 'thrift store' set of Califone headphones. I also bought a ~ 25' long 1/4" audio extender cable to run between our little amplifier (which also has volume control knob on it) over around the sofa
and back to our couch.

Trouble is, there is a problem in the coil of the headphones. I'm wondering if it is worth trying to rewire them, or can any of you recommend a good, comfortable pair of 1/4" wired headphones? The headphones seem to go a bit
loosly into the 1/4" cable, so I'm wondering if it might be cheap, too. I could use a reference to a really well made 1/4" audio extension cable.

Thanks!

P.S. - Fudge! After having troubles for weeks, I finally got around to looking up the serial number of the headphones - they are mono, plugged into stereo! Could this be what causes the headphones to fit loose into the 1/4" stereo cable jack? Is there any way to adapt for this?

Last edited:

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
P.S. - Fudge! After having troubles for weeks, I finally got around to looking up the serial number of the headphones - they are mono, plugged into stereo! Could this be what causes the headphones to fit loose into the 1/4" stereo cable jack? Is there any way to adapt for this?
If Radio Shack B&M were still around... they practically had a whole dept., or at least store section, that carried audio adapters like this.

Checked B&H? They carry higher-end A/V gear too.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
Just replace the headphones. What is your budget? Why can't you plug the headphone into his computer?
I think those Califone have a switch for mono stereo, it's for school use.
Never mind headphone for you. Go BT if you have bt transmitters sitting around or get them. Monoprice has a whole range of decent headphones that are not too expensive.

example

Last edited:

bigboxes

Lifer
Apr 6, 2002
My oldest son's room is right outside where we have our TV. If anyone wants to watch something late or very early, we need to wear headphones.

I have an old 'thrift store' set of Califone headphones. I also bought a ~ 25' long 1/4" audio extender cable to run between our little amplifier (which also has volume control knob on it) over around the sofa
and back to our couch.

Trouble is, there is a problem in the coil of the headphones. I'm wondering if it is worth trying to rewire them, or can any of you recommend a good, comfortable pair of 1/4" wired headphones? The headphones seem to go a bit
loosly into the 1/4" cable, so I'm wondering if it might be cheap, too. I could use a reference to a really well made 1/4" audio extension cable.

Thanks!

1/4" is 1/4" sized plug, stereo or mono. I have no idea that they'd be loose at all. On the other hand, a 3/8" plug would most certainly be loose in a 1/4" jack. I know that my old headphones had a 3/8" plug with a 1/4" adapter. Maybe you are missing the adapter. Mono headphones will always be mono headphones. If that's the case, just buy a new pair.

GunsMadeAmericaFree

Golden Member
Jan 23, 2007
I totally forgot that I had a pair of Honeywell outdoor working earmuffs with interior speaker and detachable audio cable from a deal last year. I just did away with the old headphones, used an adapter, and now everything sounds fine.

Reactions: bigboxes