Revised P&N rule

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
Should be stickied. It's moving down the page pretty quickly.
I'd also like to add a thank you for the change, it was long overdue.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Man, the community pretty resoundingly voted against this change the last time. They even tried giving everyone two options with the discussion club. The insult free version was an unmitigated failure. I hope you guys know what you are doing and I hope this doesn't drive activity way down.

The major problem is that people are free to just lie about whatever they want with no repercussions. We asked for a system to infract people deliberately posting misinformation but the mods agreed that it was too subjective and difficult to enforce. At least we were able to call liars "liars."

Reactions: Fanatical Meat

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
I believe you are still free to call out lies. But focus on the message and not the poster.

I think we can also agree the "community" lost quite a few members who had voted back then. Furthermore, a minimum level of decorum is likely not up for debate. And P&N had been slipping rather far lately. Especially with modern trends in US politics. Being a place to discuss rather than smear may be for the best. Plus, maybe this brings us into compliance with some European rules on speech.

Reactions: Zorba

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
Man, the community pretty resoundingly voted against this change the last time. They even tried giving everyone two options with the discussion club. The insult free version was an unmitigated failure. I hope you guys know what you are doing and I hope this doesn't drive activity way down.

The major problem is that people are free to just lie about whatever they want with no repercussions. We asked for a system to infract people deliberately posting misinformation but the mods agreed that it was too subjective and difficult to enforce. At least we were able to call liars "liars."
if we can`t have that system perhaps we can at least agree that there should be some penalty for posting an inaccurate thread title?? Or leaving out an important word in the thread title? We have several members who do this just to push everyone`s e buttons!

Then we can get into define -- actually define an insult? Because it is insulting to some of us that we have to deal with so much misinformation and garbage posted by just a certain few!! Just to bew clear -- I am still going to call somebody on something that I perceive not to be true!
Then another issue is, you really cannot discuss with somebody who is hell bent on the fact that just because something is posted on the internet it has to be true!!
Okay -- I am finished!!
Peace!!

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Should be stickied. It's moving down the page pretty quickly.
I'd also like to add a thank you for the change, it was long overdue.

The thread that has been unstickied has been replaced with a new one containing the updated rules.
PAPERS! VE VANT TO SEE YOUR PAPERS!
(I jest...it seems like it's past time for this rule. Things have gotten a bit out of hand)

Reactions: corkyg

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
So now racism, violence, threats and disinformation can flow unimpeded? Way to attack the end result instead of taking on the real problem.

Reactions: JEDIYoda

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
I will agree with you— Disinformation will be the order of the day!! I totally agree!!

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
Are you fellows really saying that politics can't be discussed without personal attacks and name calling? I would submit that if that's the case, you have nothing to add to the discussion anyway.

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
Are you fellows really saying that politics can't be discussed without personal attacks and name calling? I would submit that if that's the case, you have nothing to add to the discussion anyway.
Is adding lies and redirecting and enuedos and half truths or misrepresentation from the truth going to be permissible!

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
Is adding lies and redirecting and enuedos and half truths or misrepresentation from the truth going to be permissible!
The rules don't say you can't challenge what someone else has to say, they simply say you can't be an ass about it. What this means in P&N is that we'll have to address the issue raised, not the person who raised it. I'm sure you'll be able to communicate your disagreement without personal attacks.
Personally, I think this will bring more traffic into P&N, and also allow me to clear my ignore list. I'm looking forward to complete implementation.

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
I'm saying ignorance, hate and lies should be met with equal resistance. The reason name calling has gotten so bad is because normal discussions are not possible with the 2 to 5 members who are only here to divide.

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
I'm saying ignorance, hate and lies should be met with equal resistance. The reason name calling has gotten so bad is because normal discussions are not possible with the 2 to 5 members who are only here to divide.
Well, now you'll have the opportunity to sharpen your rhetoric and use your obviously superior political acumen to enlighten those few deplorables that you'll no longer be able to swear at. For the record, those fellows will have to follow the same rules, so the playing field should be pretty level.

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
Well, now you'll have the opportunity to sharpen your rhetoric and use your obviously superior political acumen to enlighten those few deplorables that you'll no longer be able to swear at. For the record, those fellows will have to follow the same rules, so the playing field should be pretty level.
I don't know that I ever swore at anyone here unless they got personal first. I just enjoy seeing the dogs get their nose rubbed in their crap when they take a dump on the forum. Some things (that I've already mentioned) shouldn't be tolerated IMHO.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
First, I want to saw I have no problem with the new forum rules. I think the personal attack and the zero value added attack post (like "stfu chud") have gotten out of hand.

But I was wondering what regulation is going into effect? It would also be helpful if you directly linked the DH0 and DH1's to a reference.

While we are at it, can we get a ban on known fake news links?

Reactions: GoodRevrnd

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
As if deplorables are interested in honest discourse.

• Haha

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
I say well done on the forum leadership.

I have to say a huge number of the regular posters in P&N will probably have to stop posting at all, as 99% of their posts are personal attacks.

• Haha

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
I don't think the parameters for insult/personal attack are very well defined, I had a post warned for it, and I've seen other posts edited that were not insults/personal attacks.

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
I don't think the parameters for insult/personal attack are very well defined, I had a post warned for it, and I've seen other posts edited that were not insults/personal attacks.
You must remember that you have to make sure that any posts that you consider not to be personal insults have to also look and appear not to be personal insults to other people reading thew post! Just because YOU don`t think they were does not necessarily make that tue!!
The key is to use words that everybody knows but that don`t directly point at the person you are ranting against!
In other words you cannot say -- Your position is onje of stupidity! But you can say I believe these arguments are stupid!

DrDoug

Diamond Member
Jan 16, 2014
I figure that it's really a tech forum, not a politics and news forum, so I can understand why they want to change the tone here. That said, I've moved on from P&N and while I still do read some of the threads there periodically (now mostly to see it fall apart), I have decided to abstan from commenting in that area from now on. I'm sticking to my favorite politics site for that since they have always allowed anyone to speak their mind, no matter how crazy. The wingnuts here wouldn't last for long there as none of the ones who have made the mistake of wandering in there have yet...lol. We're just a bunch of jackals who like to shred liars. ;) If a site decides that I can't call someone who is clearly lying a liar, then there's no point wasting my time there any more. Enough said and good night, P&N.

It was nice knowing you.