Reviewing Next Year's Budget

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Doodoo

Golden Member
Feb 14, 2000
Everyone's replaceable. And why give some new punk a big raise when they have older employees that have been there a while with more experience?

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
Originally posted by: Stunt
It's budgeted...where is all the money going?
You think the older people are going to get more than 5% on their larger salaries and give me a piddly 1-2%?!

They know I'd walk in a heartbeat.

I said cost of living PLUS 1-2% which is about 5%.

Stunt

Diamond Member
Jul 17, 2002
Originally posted by: Doodoo
Why can't you see the rest of them getting over a 5% raise? And what makes you think you'd get the entire extra 5k? I'm sure some of them think they're the sh!t and deserves that money too. Most companies base it all on percentage. Just because someone makes more doesn't mean they get a lower percentage raise.
45+ ppl hardly get more than 5%...

Think about it. These people have already had their major pay increases. Most are not university or college educated and average salary is $900-$61(me)/11(staff this year minus me) = $76k and that includes the purchasing and secretary. These guys are making ~$80k and will be in the same jobs they have had for years.

$80k+5% is $84k. I think that is a more than generous assumption to make for older salaried staff.

yowolabi

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2001
Sorry, but raises are given as a percentage not a dollar amount, and those other employees will expect just as big a percentage as you are. The company wants to keep everyone happy, not just you.

Also, what makes you think they're going to spend every cent of the budget?

Stunt

Diamond Member
Jul 17, 2002
Originally posted by: yowolabi
Sorry, but raises are given as a percentage not a dollar amount, and those other employees will expect just as big a percentage as you are. The company wants to keep everyone happy, not just you.

Also, what makes you think they're going to spend every cent of the budget?
You think 20-30 year employees will expect a wage increase more than 5%? :laugh:
Personally I don't think the company would mind if some of these guys start making the move towards retirement...great group of management but there's no way they need large pay increases to keep them there.

We always spend 100% of budget, it's already tight as is.

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
Another factor you're leaving out is the cost of benefits for the new employee. Their $50k salary will account for more than $50k in the budget. How much more is hard to say since you live in Canada.

In the US, payroll taxes would add another 7%, plus health insurance, plus retirement plan, etc.

Stunt

Diamond Member
Jul 17, 2002
Originally posted by: mugs
Another factor you're leaving out is the cost of benefits for the new employee. Their $50k salary will account for more than $50k in the budget. How much more is hard to say since you live in Canada.
I already told you fringe was in another account.

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003

Ah yes, you're right. Well be sure to report back when you get your raise. :)

Stunt

Diamond Member
Jul 17, 2002
Ah yes, you're right. Well be sure to report back when you get your raise. :)
I will...:)

With my luck they'll hire another person and give no raise ;)

Stunt

Diamond Member
Jul 17, 2002
Originally posted by: MercenaryForHire
11% raise FTW.

ibkneepads

- M4H
Oh man...if I get 11% or more raise...drinks on me Thursday night.
I'll call in sick on Friday.