Reverse first-world problems: What *good* thing happened to you today?

Page 52 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

snoopy7548

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2005
Finally finished putting together my server/NAS, though I still need an SSD (probably just go with a WD Blue 1TB as a cache drive) and 14TB drives to go on sale again; I will eventually move the drives (2x14TB and 1x8TB) from my HTPC into this guy, and they are backed up, but I'd rather not risk it considering unRAID needs to format the drives.

I haven't booted it up yet. The CPU (Xeon E3-1231 v3), motherboard (Supermicro X10SL7-F), and RAM (4x8GB Hynix Unbuffered ECC) were all bought used off eBay, but the case (Supermicro CSE-743T-500B) is new. Maybe someboday I'll upgrade to a modular PSU...

1585512620435.png

EDIT: Booted up! Now I think I just need to get the IPMI configured and flash the LSI controller to IT mode, and I should be pretty much all set.

1585514693606.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Kaido and lxskllr

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Still healthy, still have a job.

Same here. These days that's a pretty good win. Sad to see so many people losing their jobs. I'm still healthy and have a job that's essential, and not going away at least I don't think so... company could start doing cut backs because of the stock price but I don't think that will happen. The fact that they gave us lot of trouble working from home and still want someone in the office 24/7 shows that I guess we are important lol. So that's a good sign.

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
Not really for me but my customers. My office software has a "disaster status" option so if they get laid off and can't pay, I change the status and it doesn't affect their credit. The reporting agencies set up these specialized designations and handle it so any lender that doesn't want to eff their customers during these times can do it.

The more you know....

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Not really for me but my customers. My office software has a "disaster status" option so if they get laid off and can't pay, I change the status and it doesn't affect their credit. The reporting agencies set up these specialized designations and handle it so any lender that doesn't want to eff their customers during these times can do it.

The more you know....

but if their credit score goes down...can't you charge MUCH higher interest rates? Look at all the money you're losing by pretending to be a nice guy...

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Shaved tonight for the first time since August...I look like I dropped 20 lbs and 20 years...

Boomer waits for all smart-ass comments about his age.)

Reactions: highland145

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
Look, a Sphinx moth showed up.
On the subject of hoverers... I saw a sparrowhawk Friday. I haven't seen one in years. I used to see them all the time, but that died off. I looked it up awhile ago to see if something was happening to them, but their population appears to be healthy. Maybe I'm not paying close enough attention.

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
Got a hair cut yesterday! I mentioned I was gonna do it myself to my buddy and he said he's been cutting his own for a couple years, and his wife does the trimming around back and sides.

So I ended up going to their place, helped him move a few heavy things to their storage pod (they're buying a new house and moving), had lunch, got hair cut, and visited for a few hours. Hadn't seen them in a couple years actually so it was nice.

I was laughing while sitting in the chair getting my hair cut; I was like the last time you cut my hair we were drinking from a bottle of Jack and you gave me a Mohawk lol. College ftw.

snoopy7548

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2005
Got a hair cut yesterday! I mentioned I was gonna do it myself to my buddy and he said he's been cutting his own for a couple years, and his wife does the trimming around back and sides.

So I ended up going to their place, helped him move a few heavy things to their storage pod (they're buying a new house and moving), had lunch, got hair cut, and visited for a few hours. Hadn't seen them in a couple years actually so it was nice.

I was laughing while sitting in the chair getting my hair cut; I was like the last time you cut my hair we were drinking from a bottle of Jack and you gave me a Mohawk lol. College ftw.

You just got one hair cut? :confused_old:

• Haha
Reactions: highland145

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
You just got one hair cut? :confused_old:
Rofl. I figured my phone wouldn't have haircut in its dictionary and was feeling too lazy to enter it manually. Turns out it does. It has lacked some you'd think would be in there though.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006

so much for "stay at home" or social distancing...

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
Went to walmart today at 1:30pm, and it wasn't awful. I needed stuff to change the truck oil. I also scored 2 cans of hot & spicy spam! That's probably my favorite variety. They had 3 cans left, and no other flavors. I only took 2 to not be a dickhead. Didn't see any toiletpaper, but maybe I wasn't looking in the right place. A lot of shelves cleared out, but there was a fair amount of stuff. One of the employees was stocking shelves and coughing. I avoided him :^D