Reverse first-world problems: What *good* thing happened to you today?

Page 19 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
Found that I won $50 in the Super Bowl squares that I had purchased at work. I checked them last night and didn't think I won, but I wasn't very certain cause I wasn't sure I understood it correctly.

WUT WUT

Oh and I still gotta scrape a bunch of instant tickets I got for my birthday recently. Dude I could be frickin rich right now!

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
Got my knife and cell phone battery today! What I like about ordering online is it's kinda like xmas. There's always the surprise factor when it shows up, even with modern tracking, and it just kinda shows up like Santa left it :^D

morakniv-eldris-4.jpg

Seems like a nifty little knife. Not sure where it fits in to my routine yet, but it got me new stuff without spending a lot of money.

The battery's a battery. I got it to get my total up for free shipping, and batteries for lg g3s may get scarce in the future, so I figured I'd get one now. Currently power cycling it per the directions. Hopefully I get better life than my old battery.

May 11, 2008
I ate chicken tandoori tonight and watched Red Dragon (with Anthony Hopkins, Edward Norton and Ralph Fiennes).
Lil Crumb was really happy with her tiny piece of cheese.
Sometimes, slow nights are the best...

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
Got my knife and cell phone battery today! What I like about ordering online is it's kinda like xmas. There's always the surprise factor when it shows up, even with modern tracking, and it just kinda shows up like Santa left it :^D

morakniv-eldris-4.jpg

Seems like a nifty little knife. Not sure where it fits in to my routine yet, but it got me new stuff without spending a lot of money.

The battery's a battery. I got it to get my total up for free shipping, and batteries for lg g3s may get scarce in the future, so I figured I'd get one now. Currently power cycling it per the directions. Hopefully I get better life than my old battery.
What's the purpose of a neck knife? I can't think of many uses that aren't better served using other methods. I was playing around with my new knife, and came up with this...

IMG_20180207_105821.jpg

It has a constrictor knot around the throat, and the ends joined in a fisherman's knot. Right side up can be used as shown, and for upside down carry, the cord can be run through the split ring. Been wearing it around the house to get acquainted with the concept, and I just don't see much use. OTOH, I'm wearing it around the house. Took the day off since it's raining, and I'm sitting by the stove listening to classical music, and spending quality time with the cat. Pretty good day :^)

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
Found out that the main reason for me sleeping hot on my new memory foam mattress was the mattress cover that I put on it when I was putting new sheets on it. I didn't realize it at the time, but the damn thing had like a vinyl/plasticy feel to it (good I guess if you're wetting the bed, lol) which I'm guessing wasn't breathable. In the meantime I had ordered a $110 mattress pad which was supposed to be cooler according to lot of the reviews. Anyway I slept on the mattress last night without the mattress pad (the bed wetter cover has been off) and didn't sweat at all so I can return that mofo and get my money back.

MY BED MYSTERY IS SOLVED YAY

FeuerFrei

Diamond Member
Mar 30, 2005
I found my phone sitting outside on the steps when I arrived at work this morning. It was wet from all the rain last night, but still works, and thankfully wasn't "thefted."

I didn't even know it was missing, so I wasn't stressing.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
I love gem and mineral shows. What did you pick up?
Tenebrescent hackmanite from Afghanistan.

Behaves like this only the response time is longer.

Also a fluorescent ruby in zoisite like this:
ruby-in-zoisite-hero.jpg

I also bought a fluorescent calcite. Don't tell the guys over in the stovetop challenge thread, they think I pick up white hot steel with my bare, manly hands. :D
hotsteel_700.jpg

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
What's the purpose of a neck knife? I can't think of many uses that aren't better served using other methods. I was playing around with my new knife, and came up with this...

IMG_20180207_105821.jpg

It has a constrictor knot around the throat, and the ends joined in a fisherman's knot. Right side up can be used as shown, and for upside down carry, the cord can be run through the split ring. Been wearing it around the house to get acquainted with the concept, and I just don't see much use. OTOH, I'm wearing it around the house. Took the day off since it's raining, and I'm sitting by the stove listening to classical music, and spending quality time with the cat. Pretty good day :^)
1/20 when I win the lottery.

:)

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
Cleared a prepaid debit card today. They start to get stale after awhile, and I have to be more mindful of the remaining balance. I bought a Coastlands album, and donated the rest to various libre android projects I like. Now it's zeroed out, and I can go on to a nice fresh one :^)

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Got MAJOR progress on my case, and the court date was actually moved forward, which almost never happens.

I'll be free and clear by Friday afternoon!!

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
Scored some brand new vintage combat boots from goodwill for $12. The one reference I found online says they're steel toe(which I don't like), but they don't feel like that to me. They have the old school stitched on sole, with a chevron tread pattern. Not the most practical for work, but they'll be ok for road walking, and easy to medium terrain. They also have an odd collar extension. It's velcroed down at the top, but you can flip it up and get an extra inch of height. Never seen anything like it before.

Pretty comfortable. I'm stoked. They'll be summer boots. I'm starting to get a fairly wide collection that are customized to work I'm expecting on a particular day. Not ideal, but not terrible. I just have to put some thought into my boot choices, and it'll make the whole mess last longer.

edit:
A pic I found online...

image.jpg

You can see the weird fold up collar there. Also the crappy Dring lace holes. The modern speed loops are faaaar better. Dunno why you don't see them on civilian boots Probably too good, like the solid braid laces the military stuff uses :^S

Last edited:
May 11, 2008
I bought a cheap 230V E27 rgb led lamp with remote and mounted it as wall lamp behind my monitor to give a bit of indirect lightning.
Now when i play a game in the dark with lights off, i turn the rgb led lamp on and make it red, dim it a bit and it is ideal for gaming. I can now just see the keys on my keyboard when needed and it is still dark.
My current keyboard is still working perfectly and is not worn out at all, so i did not see any reason to invest in a rgb led keyboard.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Was this about the “Hooters incident” from last winter?

December 31st, 2015.

A new D.A. came in and recharged me after 11 and a half months. Then a year later he looked over things and agreed I hadnt done anything wrong given I was trying to defend my life.

Fun Fact: The guy who threatened to kill me that night had a manslaughter conviction back in 2002. After he got out he had a string of assault charges. Assaulting an officer, spousal and domestic abuse, child abuse, many resisting arrest and tons of failure to appears.

The state of Georgia let him out immediately after Virginia bussed him down there. A month later he got arrested again. They let him out immediately. He got arrested about a year later.

For someone with a violent felony on his sheet he sure as fuck gets a lot of second chances.

Last edited:
Reactions: lxskllr
May 11, 2008
I ordered a 3d lamp with remote a few days back and received it today. I am very happy with it.
It has rgb leds and with the remote it has a fade option that fades into different colors.
Really good ambiance.
HUI YUAN also has many more 3d lamps, a lot from star wars as well and star trek.
Bought through aliexpress.

Death-Star-3D-Lamp-New-BB-8-Star-Wars-Lamp-Remote-Control-LED-Novelty-Night-Lights.jpg

Death-Star-3D-Lamp-New-BB-8-Star-Wars-Lamp-Remote-Control-LED-Novelty-Night-Lights.jpg

Star-Trek-3D-Lamp-Enterprise-Spaceship-LED-Night-Light-USB-Novelty-Home-Decoration-Table-Lamp-Creative.jpg

Don't scratch the acrylic glass panel. Because the scratches will change the diffraction of light.
Also dust will have some effect.

Last edited:

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
Scored some more brand new combat boots today. A little spendy for the thrift shop($24), but still a fantastic deal. These are modern, and suitable for aircraft and vehicle crew use(says so inside). Not sure what the design criteria is for that. They have regular eyelets for the first few courses as opposed to speedlaces the whole way. The heel also has a rearward bevel. I have another pair of gortex lined boots for vehicle crews that are similar. It would be interesting to read how the gear is designed, and why things are as they are, but I don't know where to find that info.

edit:
deleted doubled words. Been doing that a lot lately. Probably early onset senility :^(

edit2:
BTW, I think I found the purpose of the last boots I got. I believe they're made for deck crews on carriers and such. The tread pattern is to prevent trapping debris that can get sucked into an aircraft engine. They're very similar to jump boots, but don't have the toe cap.

Last edited: