Reverse first-world problems: What *good* thing happened to you today?

Page 18 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001
I was mostly off of work today and the roads were clear enough to be able to take care of some errands.

snoopy7548

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2005
The local ski mountain blew a bunch of snow over the weekend and seems to have repaired the damage from the big melt and rain, so I'm going snowboarding tomorrow night and probably Wednesday night, and probably take PTO on Thursday and head to Mount Snow. Oooooh yeah.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
Another win for xubuntu today. My boss' machine had gotten hosed a year or two ago, and instead of reinstalling winxp, I put xubuntu on it. Aside from the occasional crying because things didn't work exactly as they always did, it went pretty well. Fast forward to today...

I walk in the office(late cause everything was icy this morning, and picking up the draftsman took waaay longer than I'd have liked...), the Boss say "Come here a minute" He clicks an email attachment, and it open in libreoffice, and says it includes macros, and was created with some kind of online msoffice.

Me: I already don't like this....

It has some kind of graphic which looks kind of like an office ad, with a button to click. Clicking it doesn't do anything obvious...

Me: Do you know who this came from?!

Boss: Yea, I talked to him awhile ago...

Me: Why is he sending you stuff? Let me see the email

Boss: Shows me a mail from some guy he hasn't talked to in ages. Subject says Resend: and the recipient list has a hundred people in it...

Me: WTF's wrong with you?! That's some kind of virus. Dumbass...

and that's how xubuntu saved the day. Ubuntu saved my mother from "MS tech support". I should assign a dollar value to these incidents, and get them to send donations to the FSF :^D

Reactions: dave_the_nerd

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
I'm 3/4 lit. Been drinking cheap brandy and scotch. I'm taking tomorrow off. We're supposed to get a little snow. It's not gonna be much, but I want to go hiking in it, and it might be the only winter I get this year. I'll be leaving at day break. Hope it's still snowing then..

Feb 25, 2011
MFW listserv doesn't work after OS update.

aww-crap-monday-found-meagain-29515147.png

MFW I get an email from a list, which means the forwarder/listserv is working even if the webui is broken.
46440-Obama-Not-Bad-Rage-Face-Q9gf.jpeg

MFW I realize it's because a minor apache revision changed default behavior from "include sites-enabled/*" to "include sites-enable/*.conf" so I just change it back.
hqdefault.jpg

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001
Got a Chicken Dinner in PUBG for the first time in a while. Haven't been gaming much lately.

CountZero

Golden Member
Jul 10, 2001
The travel person booked me in exit row seats, and an extra legroom seat for my business trip and it didn't flag any policy issues. At 6'3" its a small victory but a victory none-the-less. Now if only my company supported business class for international travel :(

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
Awhile ago I got some gortex lined combat boots from goodwill. Problem is they were too small. I've been wearing them the last three work days, and between using thinner insoles, and getting them broken in/stretched, they fit... well enough. After a day of pain, they feel ok now, just a little snugger than I like. I paid $40 for them, and they were brand new with tags still on. I'll use these for hiking, and put the ones I retired for civilian duty back in work service.

When hot weather gets here, I have a pair of hot weather combat boots I need to do the same thing with. These were brand new also, but only $10. Trying them with the thin insoles I'm pretty sure they'll work out. I had a good run last year finding boots cheap :^)

BD231

Lifer
Feb 26, 2001
Nuthun. Still no closer to finding sex and passion in my life than I was two and a half years ago.

Sonikku

Lifer
Jun 23, 2005
Couldn't get out of bed a few days ago. Been dealing with depression.

Then my mom revealed she had gotten this for me months ago for the next time I needed a little pick me up! :)

SuiDk2b.jpg

Last edited:

Sonikku

Lifer
Jun 23, 2005
Well... I'm afraid my issues may go a bit deeper than anything a really cute loot box can fix. But certainly though it reminded me I am loved and that I have an incredible mother that cares about me. It perked me up a bit.

Reactions: lxskllr

snoopy7548

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2005
Couldn't get out of bed a few days ago. Been dealing with depression.

Then my mom revealed she had gotten this for me months ago for the next time I needed a little pick me up! :)

SuiDk2b.jpg

What was the mystery vinyl sticker?! Don't leave us hanging!

Reactions: Sonikku
Feb 25, 2011
A coworker has an "active" eating schedule - he'll walk past my teams' cubicles 5-6 times a day getting another water bottle refill, or heating up another tray of whatever. So whatever, it's fine, that's what happens when you work near the cafeteria.

He's got five daughters. (Whatever. My dad was one of four boys. It happens. He's not a quiverfull freak or nuthin'.)

So today he brought some of his kids to work (I guess they had the day off of school or something.) So he's got three of his five daughters following him around and they automatically go in height order and it's so squee I could just scream. Fucking ducklings. :D

(And yes, they're very well-behaved, and nobody minds because I'm one of the only single childless people working here. It's just that kind of crowd.)

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
It was chilly today, and a cloudy start for my first job. Perfect! Some wood smoke in the air made it extra nice. The natives came out to talk to me, and it wasn't so bad. The woman's overly concerned about a retaining wall I know nothing of, but her and her husband were very nice. Made up for the excessive stakes I had to set for the house.

BD231

Lifer
Feb 26, 2001
You in The Bronx? I'll come sex you up. I want to be the woman though.

Sexy? Tight in the vagina region? Willing to relocate?

You probably shouldn't tap that regardless....

True ... herpes and aids so far. I wonder what's next :wink:

Nuthun good though. Still no closer to finding sex and passion in my life than I was two and a half years ago.

snoopy7548

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2005
Trump totally MPGA - Made Paychecks Great Again. I'm getting a whopping extra $76.11 per bi-weekly paycheck. Totally worth it... I guess...

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
Not sure what the difference was in my check. My hours vary cause I leave a lot of money on the table. I guess I could figure it, but then I'd lose the money cause I wasted time determining what it was.