Reverse first-world problems: What *good* thing happened to you today?

Page 89 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
And I am getting my induction range. Plus induction pots and pans of course.

Oh and no replacing real wood cabinets for vinyl wrap crap. Whole reason to replace cabinets is to get in wall oven. I don't think the wife has turned on the oven even once in her life :colbert:

Last edited:

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
And I am getting my induction range. Plus induction pots and pans of course.

Oh and no replacing real wood cabinets for vinyl wrap crap. Whole reason to replace cabinets is to get in wall oven. I don't think the wife has turned on the oven even once in her life :colbert:
induction is bae.

i am starting on a guest bedroom renovation. i want to make it a small photography studio that can convert into a bedroom when needed by having space-saving furniture.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
You know that joke about if you need to find your woman in public all you have to do is talk to a pretty girl and they magically appear? 100% accurate.

Humble brag - It's been since the pandemic started that a woman flirted with me out and about. In Sam's last night doing a big resupply. Super crowded for zombie jebus weekend. Reach down in the huge box of sweet onions to grab a bag and mutter to myself "Onions" in my Best Justin Wilson impression. I hear a feminine voice say it with an even better accent "onions". I look up and this mid 30s to early 40s (I can't tell anymore they all look so young compared to my old ass) attractive blonde girl is giving me the smile. I say "I guarantee." with the accent. She giggles with the eyes twinkling face glowing thing. My wife appears like she was the Predator standing there in camo mode.

Jul 27, 2020
I look up and this mid 30s to early 40s (I can't tell anymore they all look so young compared to my old ass) attractive blonde girl is giving me the smile.
She only doing what her genes telling her to do. They want your genes to meld with hers for stronger, prettier progeny :p

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
Had lunch with my daughter and friend. Nap. Biked. Fixed the pressure washer but it's on it's last leg. Rescue got the 4 kittens and Mama. Steaks on the grill. IPA. Nice.

Reactions: lxskllr

snoopy7548

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2005
My tires are down to the wear bars and I'm getting new ones installed on Monday. Unfortunately, it decided to snow/sleet/rain and I had an appointment this morning. Swapped my all-season tires for my snow tires in 25 minutes. :cool:

• Wow
Reactions: DAPUNISHER

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
My company's corporate communications is using my photography for a news post on our internal website.

I know it might not sound like much,m, but photography is a big hobby/passion of mine and I'm starting a side business (engineer by day). So this feels like some validation and potential to do more photography for work instead 😁

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Worked from home. Snuck out a bit early for the first bike ride of the year in the city. Absolutely gorgeous spring day. Everyone is out and about. Realized I'm getting Old, at a park and looking at the young kids what they're wearing these days almost judgmentally, then remembered I was one of those kids, so I am not going to get old in that way.

Also found another great ramen spot, new to me but opened 3 years ago. Obviously this is not like Tokyo but there are numerous amazing options for ramen here. It's a fantastic problem to have. And actually only 16.50 for the base bowl. Now that's definitely a first world score.

1000008088.jpg

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
and then I saw this. Now this is a fucking beautiful first world' thing. Although I'm not too trustworthy of pedestrians either. I'd have to see how this works in America first, but it sure is purty.

436361275_440888005066509_2666780251988883613_n.jpg

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
I have a stupid expensive miner's headlamp for work. The battery packs are also stupid expensive and one failed a few months ago, leaving me with only one. That is no bueno for going underground. The company that made the headlamp and batteries is no more. Out of the blue, one of the managers was cleaning out a drawer of old GPS units and cords. She put the cords up for grabs and in the pile of cords was a battery and charging unit for my headlamp. Another employee retired a couple months ago and had used the same model of lamp. Score!

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
I have a stupid expensive miner's headlamp for work. The battery packs are also stupid expensive and one failed a few months ago, leaving me with only one. That is no bueno for going underground. The company that made the headlamp and batteries is no more. Out of the blue, one of the managers was cleaning out a drawer of old GPS units and cords. She put the cords up for grabs and in the pile of cords was a battery and charging unit for my headlamp. Another employee retired a couple months ago and had used the same model of lamp. Score!
what's the difference between a good miner's lamp and a very good headlamp for out camping or in the backcountry?

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
what's the difference between a good miner's lamp and a very good headlamp for out camping or in the backcountry?
The lamps are MSHA-approved as intrinsically safe for working in explosive atmospheres. The electrical contacts are designed so that the lamp won't ignite methane or coal dust.

Reactions: igor_kavinski

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
My uncle was having issues with his laptop, said it kept bugging him to upgrade windows and he eventually just gave in and did it, and then it was sitting at a blank screen and was stuck. I figured this would require a format and reinstall but it eventually worked. That upgrade process is completely dumb. It just sits at a blank screen, but it's actually upgrading in the background while it's stuck there. The only reason I even caught on is because we were chit chatting after he turned it on to show me what it does and it eventually started to do stuff and then went to a screen showing it's updating. But that was after it sat for a good 10 minutes doing nothing. Freaking Microsoft. How hard would it be to show a screen that says it's actually upgrading instead of letting the user hang and think their machine is borked.

He's in the middle of selling his house and dealing with other stuff so needed his email, so I'm glad I didn't have to reconfigure all that.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
after fourteen months working with my buyer, a cute lil ole lady, 82, who is a firecracker but also turned out to be a bit nuts, also involving her daughter, who had to involve herself in the purchase when reality meant her budget had to go up. We are finally putting in an offer on a house that checks all the boxes. Of course it's a multiple offer bidding war. But you know, baby steps.

I have had to manage this woman, and her daughter's, expectations and bring them to reality over time. It's a journey and a balancing act. Sometimes tough love.

There is also some strife between the daughter and mother, which has been exacerbated by this home search, and I am in the middle. My 82 year old client has said to me at least twice to not give up on her. I've seen her cry three times on showings. The daughter has jokingly called me her therapist.

I pray I am not posting tomorrow in the first world problems thread, that we lost the bidding war.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
So a while back I redid my rack power feeds and added 2 feeds that are solar, so this gives me the option to run partially or fully on solar by transferring 1 or 2 rectifiers over. Goal is to eventually automate this with relays but I've been doing it manually just to get an idea of the dent it will make on hydro usage, and it's definitely noticeable. Did it at 3pm to 4pm yesterday. Will want to automate it so it can do it based on actual solar power input without having to manually check voltage but it's cool to see how it makes a dent and knowing that power was free. The high usage before that was me doing laundry and is a bit abnormal for a typical day. Though this made me realize just how much power the dryer uses, and it would be nice to setup some kind of heat exchanger to capture the heat and keep it indoors.

Currently my 400w solar array doesn't keep up though, the solar battery voltage was going down, but I do plan to add about 1kw of extra solar as I have the panels and charge controller already and did the footings last year. Just need better weather to actually do the install of the poles and support structure.

Screenshot from 2024-04-25 09-34-42.png