Reverse first-world problems: What *good* thing happened to you today?

Page 83 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
That's pretty crazy, can't be good for long term life to run at such high temps I imagine. Part of the issue is they are trying to make laptops so thin at any expense now. IO suffers, and so does cooling, and probably also battery capacity.

thestrangebrew1

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2011
I just accepted a new position as Director of Community Development for my local jurisdiction. No more 40 minute commute each way. My commute will now be about a 5 min. bike ride from home! As a bonus, I'll be the only staff so I don't have deal with a bunch of drama lol. I've been a manager dealing with staff BS for 7 years. I'm feeling liberated already!

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
There was a listing on FB marketplace for some free firewood so went to check it out as it was near my off grid land so figured I'd drop it off there. There is more where that came from too. Will go back in a week or so to get the rest. I was going to swing by on the way home from going to my off grid property but it was kind of late so didn't want to bother the people that live there at that time.

I forgot my axe at home so didn't split it, but I suspect it's way too wet to split at this point. Will probably want to use the wood splitter for that.

Motostu

Oct 5, 2020
I'd posted in the first world problem thread about my gaming monitor dying, and sending it in for RMA. Received the replacement this week, and instead of getting a refurb unit like I expected, they sent me a brand new monitor! Well worth the wait, and totally unexpected based on having bought the original almost 3 years ago. Only cost me shipping to send my old one to the RMA facility.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Went to get the rest of that wood pile with my nephew's help. First pic is the stack at my off grid property after we were done and 2nd pic is from a second trip to get the rest of the free wood and drove straight home with it. Stacked it in the back after. Glad that's done lol. I typically won't be using logs this big for firewood as it's just hard on the body to move, but hey, when it's free I'll take it! Lots of smaller stuff in the bush to get too so will usually focus on that. 3rd pic is the pile at location before I touched it.

Nov 17, 2019
This could go in either thread.

I have a Redbud tree in the front yard that I planted not long after buying this place 25 years ago. It's been OK, but in the last few years, it has started losing limbs and getting sort of scraggly. I've been debating whether or not to take it down this fall and clear the area around it. Hadn't decided yet for sure.

Until this morning when I went out and found the the overnight wind storm had leaned it over and broke the roots.

snoopy7548

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2005
Put the 4th coat of sealer (Waterlox) on my desk tops. It looks pretty dang good and I think all the areas have evened out, but I might do a 5th coat before I start staining. I'll probably do 2 coats of stain (satin, so it will knock the gloss down a bit).

PXL_20230730_180705219.jpg

PXL_20230730_180733170.jpg

PXL_20230730_180808565.jpg

snoopy7548

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2005
Did you make those tops?

Yep, all reclaimed wood. The sides are spruce, and the middle is cherry and maple. Here's a picture after gluing up the longer piece.

PXL_20210821_184515982.jpg

I can't wait to start my dining table. I'm using reclaimed wood for that too - maple with a board of spalted hickory (I think... I bought the wood years ago) in the middle, and cherry breadboard ends. I used this desk as a "practice" project so I could make mistakes (and learn how to deal with them or what not to do) so I could do a good job on the dining table.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Nice. I can't wait to get my sawmill setup and do stuff like that. I was originally going to get it this year but realized I should probably build a shop/shelter for it first. For now I will buy my lumber from a local mill. I should probably put that order in soon, I have a week off coming so hopefully it doesn't rain.

snoopy7548

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2005
Nice. I can't wait to get my sawmill setup and do stuff like that. I was originally going to get it this year but realized I should probably build a shop/shelter for it first. For now I will buy my lumber from a local mill. I should probably put that order in soon, I have a week off coming so hopefully it doesn't rain.

All you need is a garage! I have a 1-car garage that I do all my stuff in. Although it is insulated, I tend to only work in the spring/summer/fall.

I paid around $400 for the wood you see from a Boston-area reclaimed wood dealer.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
All you need is a garage! I have a 1-car garage that I do all my stuff in. Although it is insulated, I tend to only work in the spring/summer/fall.

I paid around $400 for the wood you see from a Boston-area reclaimed wood dealer.

That's another project I've been wanting to finish is my garage. I still need to finish adding the rafters then I can start insulating. Need to bring in more power too and heat. Once I have a shed on my off grid acreage I can also bring my ATV there and free up space in the garage. I have tons of other side projects I want to build so once I have the garage setup, and all my tools in one place it will be great. Right now it's a shit show, half my tools are in the garage and other half are in the basement, as I don't have room in garage for all of them. i still need to figure out what to do for mitre saw and table saw, since ideally you want 8 feet on both sides and I just don't have room for that. I might have to just set them up on a rolling cart and I can take them out as needed and put them in a spot that works for what I'm cutting.

On my off grid land I will eventually want to build a big shop. I hate not having enough room to work in and it's always been the case for me at home. That's why I bought 40 acres, and made sure it's in an area that does not require permits. I can build as big as I want.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
This was my first world problem today

Riding in the city on this absolutely gorgeous day and there are too many beautiful women. Too many. All different styles and expressiveness with fashion too. It's sensory overload.

May have a coffee date though, so hopefully that makes me feel better

Well I had the coffee date. With this English professor. Started at 6:30, she thought she'd be home at 7:30, and we ended at 9:30 only because the coffee shop closed 🤷

So bright, engaging, multi faceted, adventurous, well read, and beautiful too. Finally a second date worth looking forward to.

Was not expecting that

Reactions: Fenixgoon

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Ever since I switched to Linux, doesn't matter which distro I use, I was never able to drag attachments from Thunderbird to my desktop, and it always annoyed me that such simple functionality did not work. On some distros it would prompt for a password, on others it just did nothing. Well I guess there was an update and now it finally works!

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
I've never not been able to save attachments, but I never do it by drag/drop. I always use the [Save as] dialog, and put them in a folder.

Jul 27, 2020
I've never not been able to save attachments, but I never do it by drag/drop. I always use the [Save as] dialog, and put them in a folder.
This is why I think we are still stuck in the stone age of computing. Why even need to save the attachment? Why organize the files manually by creating folders? Why even have a darn filesystem??? Let it all go to one place. Let the OS show it to you, grouped/sorted by date, extension type, size, content etc. Have labels in the file metadata. And the metadata should be part of the file. Not two separate files where the main file is visible and its metadata is in a hidden file. We have so much computing power at our finger tips and we are still dealing with file managers and folder explorers and picture viewers etc. Everything should just work. Without needing to know what to do or how to do, other than a few clicks and some keystrokes. /rant

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
Dunno. I like folders, and "magic" filesystems that put things where they want to, and don't tell me about it irritate me. I like keeping everything segregated. Not everything is of equal importance. I want to be able to view, manipulate, and backup the things that matter to me by priority, and it's easier for me to wrap my head around a distinct location rather than relying on metadata that may corrupt, or be non existent.

Jul 27, 2020
One day, someone will do it right.

Feel free to fund me so I may give it a try, Elon :p (yes, I know you lurk around here, you baboon!)