Reveal Musicstar midi keyboard $15.99 and half shippin

petey117

Jul 24, 2003
Does anyone know about these reveal MIDI keyboards...details here: link-it-up
I want to buy it for $15 (plus i have a half off shipping cuopon - pm if you want it)
but it says that reveal is out of business...anyone have any thoughts on this thing? I'm no motzart, so I don't want to spend a fortune, but i am a little aback about buying one with the manufacturer out of business.

petey117

Jul 24, 2003
point well taken.
I am going to stop procrastinating, and cough up the $20. What's the worst that could happen? even a cardboard cut-out of a keyboard should be worth something ;)

Hi8

Aug 18, 2001
I bought that for $50 with $30 rebate that never came. The keyboard is really tiny. Good for kids or adults with small fingers. The keyboard is true midi keyboard that will work with any other midi applications. The software that came along is OK but crashed few times on my computer Win 98SE. The power cord of the wallwart failed within six months. I cut the wire and soldered a new connector. It works now.

Bottom Line: Good TOY for $15 musically inclined kids.

petey117

Jul 24, 2003
Right....kids....that's why i REALLY wanted it ;)
Maybe i will give it to my daughter. She would proabably love it.

petey117

Jul 24, 2003
Just wanted to share my experiences with this place so far:
I ordered the keyboard and 2 other items from them on saturday, and the process was pretty smooth. I received email confirms through every step, including shipping, and i even got my packages today, which was pretty cool. All the items were new and packed well, and all work fine!
Keep in mind, they shipped this from the state right next to mine, so for delivery time YMMV.
I see the posted some other stuff on their site too. I will wait till i see some other experiences from people before i place my next order, but looks pretty good so far!

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
I got the exact same keyboard in 1994 from ComputerCity, for $9.99 after rebates...

I wonder if its still sitting in the closet...(never opened?)

sat4fun

May 29, 2002
Originally posted by: uncJIGGA
I got the exact same keyboard in 1994 from ComputerCity, for $9.99 after rebates... I wonder if its still sitting in the closet...(never opened?)

I bought four of these. Was my first rebate fiasco. It is a decent kids keyboard.

RDMustang1

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2001
I bought one of these for $89.99 with a $90 rebate back around 1998.. unfortunately Reveal went under the same month I bought it so the rebate never came... very expensive toy for me but I did use it from time to time.

petey117

Jul 24, 2003
I am not a pro player, and the keys are not so bad. My daughter has a ball with it. She is 7, hopefully the next mozart ;)

Jzero

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: petey117
I am not a pro player, and the keys are not so bad. My daughter has a ball with it. She is 7, hopefully the next mozart ;)

It's probably good enough to learn the basics, but after that, not having full-sized keys can be a hindrance to learning good spanning techniques. It's great for your daughter though. The price is definitely right!

KAMAZON

Golden Member
Apr 4, 2001
www.alirazeghi.com
I have the musicstar keyboard, it's sooooo small, that I had to buy a full size keyboard for $100 from frys. However, it did motivate me to get some bare basics down adn the software that it comes with might as well be worth the price. However, if you are going ot learn, you are better off learning some of Bachs earlier works, which he wrote for his sons to train them in the keyboard.

mikeford

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2001
When Reveal went belly up a couple guys here in SoCal bought the contents of the warehouse, and have been selling the speakers and keyboards at swapmeets ever since. Right up until a few months ago when they decided to stop selling at swapmeets the MusicStar keyboards sold for $30, but they seem pretty motivated to sell of the rest and retire.

I've bought two of the keyboards, one years ago at ComputerTown ($49 with a never arrived $40 rebate) which had a bad key and I returned for one that was OK, and about 6 months ago at the swapmeet for $14 which worked just fine.

Keyboard is the size of a computer keyboard, and the keys are small, but usable even by adult hands, but perfect for kids.

Software is a bit clunky, but my only real trouble is that my Iwill KK266 motherboard while it has the hardware apparently lacks drivers and support for a midi port.

petey117

Jul 24, 2003
NICE!
compgeeks knows how to jab the competition!
anyone have a lead on what the shipping of the 2 items together is?

petey117

Jul 24, 2003
Funny, Vertex has that keyboard for 35
I see a pattern forming here....competition is always good for us deal seekers :)

geecee

Platinum Member
Jan 14, 2003
anyone have a lead on what the shipping of the 2 items together is?

It was $8.00 for the slowest ground to the northeast.

Looks like it might be fun for a beginner/kid to play with and learn a little rudimentary music theory. The keyboard might be cool if you like to sit in the dark a lot with your monitor brightness turned way down and you can't touch type. :)