Reuse Arctic Accelero Extreme IV?

dode74

Mar 3, 2015
Hey all

I'm just about to build a new PC and was thinking of the best/cheapest way to get a decent GPU. Notwithstanding the known issues with nVidia's sales tactics I was looking at getting a GTX970 alongside an i7-4790k on an Asus Maximus VII Hero. There are obviously a lot of options for the GPU here, ranging from those with reference fans to those with slightly upgraded cooling.

My current system has a GTX560ti and the fans died on it last year (after 4 years, which is decent I think), so I replaced them with the Arctic Accelero Extreme IV. Would I be able to reuse that heat sink on a reference fan 970, saving me about £15-30 over something with a better fan, and if so is there any advice to ensure it works properly? Alternatively, does anyone have any advice on which GTX970 to go for?

Thanks.

Valantar

Golden Member
Aug 26, 2014
There is no such thing as a reference GTX 970. Nvidia never made one. All cards out there use "custom" coolers. But of course, some use more expensive cooling systems than others, and some are more well designed than others. The two do not necessarily overlap. Read some reviews of the models that you're interested in.

Other than that, your Accelero Extreme IV should fit: http://www.arctic.ac/eu_en/accelero-xtreme-iv.html#techspecs -> Scroll down to "compatibility."

By the way, what will the new build be used for? If gaming is the main high-performance use case, you'd get as much performance from an i5 as an i7, and save a decent amount of money while you're at it.

Headfoot

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2008
Also consider the R9 290, which performs very similarly while costing $70+ less than a 970 and has a full 4GB of RAM.

Further, since you already have an Accelero Extreme IV, take a look at used reference 290's. I see them go for $180. The only issue to watch out for with reference 290s is that the fan is terrible, but since you're replacing it, that doesn't matter.

dode74

Mar 3, 2015
Thanks for the advice, chaps. This is what I meant by "reference fan": http://www.scan.co.uk/products/4gb-...ddr5-gpu-1076mhz-boost-1216mhz-cores-1664-3xd
My mistake to quote the blurb, perhaps.

A bit more digging shows my i7-2600k is actually still pretty decent for gaming (the main intended use) so I'm going to forego the CPU upgrade and water cool and overclock it instead. I'll probably go for the upgrade next year.

Thanks for the advice on the ATI, too. I shall take a look.

Flapdrol1337

Golden Member
May 21, 2014
Further, since you already have an Accelero Extreme IV, take a look at used reference 290's. I see them go for $180. The only issue to watch out for with reference 290s is that the fan is terrible, but since you're replacing it, that doesn't matter.

Agreed. There's a lot of cheap ex mining 290's out there, reference ones are noisy and aftermarket versions often have worn out fans. No prob for you as you have the accelero.

Face2Face

Diamond Member
Jun 6, 2001
There is no such thing as a reference GTX 970. Nvidia never made one. All cards out there use "custom" coolers. .

Not true.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/nvidia-g...=1219441201895

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...g&gclsrc=aw.ds

To the OP. I wouldn't waste your time trying to get the Accelero trying to fit a GTX 970. I would spend a little extra, and get a card with a decent cooler, as it's not worth the hassle unless you plan on loading a custom BIOS and shooting for the moon. Additionally, you would have to attached heatsinks to the VRAM and mosfets.

Valantar

Golden Member
Aug 26, 2014

Hm, that's odd.

AnandTech said:
Furthermore, as we mentioned in our GTX 980 review, GTX 970 has been a pure virtual (no reference card) launch. (link.)

I've seen a bunch of pictures of "reference" 970s in the silver/black Nvidia shroud, but due to every review I read of it stating this, I've always assumed those to be just press shots.

Face2Face

Diamond Member
Jun 6, 2001
Hm, that's odd.

I've seen a bunch of pictures of "reference" 970s in the silver/black Nvidia shroud, but due to every review I read of it stating this, I've always assumed those to be just press shots.

I believe NVIDIA gave Bestbuy exclusivity to the reference GTX 970 for awhile. It looks like Newegg now carries them as well. Kinda odd... Like you said, I don't believe any reviewers received a reference cards, as most if not all were custom cooled.

Valantar

Golden Member
Aug 26, 2014
I believe NVIDIA gave Bestbuy exclusivity to the reference GTX 970 for awhile. It looks like Newegg now carries them as well. Kinda odd... Like you said, I don't believe any reviewers received a reference cards, as most if not all were custom cooled.

Strange. Maybe it's a US exclusive as well? I can't find a single listing for that card in any Norwegian etailers, only the custom versions.