Returning to PC Games - need some recommendations/comparisons

paulmapp8306

Aug 25, 2019
Hi all,

Background. Im 52 and havent played on a PC for 15 years. I have played on consoles (switched for the kids) and on PC (of sorts) since about 81.

Games I have enjoyed on any platform:

Elite (BBC) and Dangerous (PS4)
Settlers (Amiga)
Sim City (Amiga)
Oblivion/Skyrim (PC - not great spec)
Civilization 1 & 4
Resident Evil 1 (PS1) and 7 (PS4)
Witcher 3 (PS4)
Horizon Zero Dawn (PS4)
Diablo (not sure)
Rome Total War (PC)
roller Coaster Tycoon (PC)
Last of Us 2 (PS4)

Games Ive played and not got on with:

ANY Assasins Creed game (though havent tried Origins or Odessey)
Red Dead 2 (just didnt gel)
Fallout 4 (ditto above)
City Skylines (probably more to do with console limitation)
Shadow of Mordor (PS4). Im a huge Tolkein fan - but this was far too stealth based for me.
God of War (PS4). Well it was OK but I lost interest about half way through.

I do not want to revisit any of these (those I enjoyed or those I didnt) - I still have PS4 versions and although graphically they would be better, there are too many PC only games to go at Id rather not repeat games.

What I want.

1 x RPG
1 x Action/Open World RPG
1 x Resource management/building game
1 x 4x or grand strategy (maybe 2)
1 x Spacey combat/exploration/trading type thing (but not Elite as I still have it on PS4)

Currently looking at the following. Id appreciate any reasons NOT to get any - which to choose (if there is a choice) and anything else better (subjective I know) to look at.

1. PRG. Divinity Original Sin 2
2. Open world/action RPG - will wait for Cyberpunk and/or Outer Worlds
3. Resource - probably Anno 1800?
4. 4x/stratagy. This gets confusing. Like the idea of UE4, but Im, more sifi than history. Solaris is possible, as is Endless Space 2. At present Im swaying to ES2. Advice/tips/suggestions ect in this category MORE than welcome.
5. Spacey thing - x4 Foundations? Combat wont be as good as Elite, but everything else looks better. Any crossover here with ES2/Solaris?

There isnt a RTS game on that list, and Im open to those (one thing for Total War 3 kingdoms/Warhammer 2 is it has the TRS - but the stratagy aspects arnt up to EU4/ES2 etc). Just not sure which way to turn there either. Also - Id look at Eve Online BUT Im not planning on getting into sub bases offerings. I still have work/wife/kids/hobbies (other than gaming) to take my time. Sub based will just take over my life......

So - Hit me, and many thanks in advance.

Zeze

Lifer
Mar 4, 2011
Drop everything and go download Factorio right now... it'll tickle your entire Sim City itch.

rivethead

Platinum Member
Jan 16, 2005
Yeah, I was going to recommend Rebel Galaxy Outlaw for the space sim niche fix.

For RPG you might take a look at The Bards Tale IV (Directors Cut was just released today). That was the best game I played in 2018 and I'm looking forward to seeing what they fixed/added this year. Combat is turn-based, strategic, makes you think, and fun as hell.

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
If you're a fan of the Witcher series, I'd put that in your Open World/Action slot instead of waiting for Cyberpunk. The entire game is a masterpiece.

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
If you like cRPG's, check out Pillars of Eternity II. You can play the first one, but the second is much more polished, and can be played on its own.

Oh, and for SimCity itches, there is also Frostpunk and Banished.

Last edited:

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
For a city building game, the defacto is pretty much City Skylines. With mods it can get UNBELIEVABLY in-depth and UNBELIEVABLY gorgeous

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Yeah, City Skylines is great (on PC). It's what Sim City should have been since SC 4.

For space exploration and/or 4x:

Try Sins of a Solar Empire if you've never played it. It's sort of 4x/RTS. It has a much quicker pace than 4x games, but after a few attempts it's pretty easy to gel with and get the early game stuff situated so that you can go have fun.

For the exploration and trading part...the X series is usually quite good. You can spend hundreds of hours just setting up system-wide trade networks for space hookers, burgers, energy cells, and piracy if you want. Never even have to follow the story. ...I am most familiar with X3, but the later ones are either slightly more polished, or have even more bugs/issues. I think the latest, maybe release a year ago? was released in a sub-par state.

By the way, I'm currently playing through the new Star Control game (Origins), that was released a year ago by Stardock (the Sins people). ...it's actually quite awesome if you have any nostalgia for the original Star Control games. It is pretty much the exact same format with the same charm and humor. Amazing how old the mechanics are (the dated, annoying resource-gathering stuff) and I still find myself losing hours to it. (it was one of the 3 free games when I purchased my Vega 64 last year)

...I wouldn't pay more than 20 bucks for it, though. Maybe wait for a sale.

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
A newer style of game you might not have played that you might like is the newer survival style of game. There is several games in this genre that is worth looking at, starting with what is probably the best game in the last few years: Subnautica

I would also check out Empyrion: Galactic Survival and 7 Days to Die.

Both of the two are still in early access and are unfinished. They are both open world FPS style with some 3rd person optional (driving and flying is much easier in 3rd person) with light RPG elements. They focus on exploration, building bases, looting materials, and crafting better gear to stay alive. Both have the same basic problem that there is no end game. They both have great early games and then eventually you get to the point where there is no challenge and either start over or quit.

Subnautica is a complete game, and is story driven. Which does mean it has limited replayability, but that first playthrough is well worth it. The game is all about exploring a very alien world and solving a mystery which will be key to your survival. I would recommend you not look up too much information about the game lest you spoil it.

Reactions: OCNewbie

facetman

Aug 30, 2014
How about "Mass effect" series. It was super in its day - but the ending of the third one is terrible ( accordign to many) and the most recent one is "so so" - but I still enjoyed it. The games have something to do with space, decent combat, RPG with a great story and some what of an "open world"- not city building necessarily, but ship and weapons building , resources are limited, trading, etc. . I am surprized you did not like Fallout 4 with the settlement building and decent story.

Stuka87

Diamond Member
Dec 10, 2010
How about "Mass effect" series. It was super in its day - but the ending of the third one is terrible ( accordign to many) and the most recent one is "so so" - but I still enjoyed it. The games have something to do with space, decent combat, RPG with a great story and some what of an "open world"- not city building necessarily, but ship and weapons building , resources are limited, trading, etc. . I am surprized you did not like Fallout 4 with the settlement building and decent story.

I was fine with the original ending. But it has since had its whole ending completely changed, and the DLC's for it were extremely good.

I actually enjoyed Andromeda a lot. It wasn't perfect, but I put 80 hours into the game. And I bought it on day one. In its current state with all the fixes, it runs and plays great. It was just released 6 months too early. Which is unfortunate.

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
It was just released 6 months too early. Which is unfortunate.
Every game is now released 6 months too early. When was the last time you played a game that didn't need extensive patching to work properly? It has gotten to the point that I think it is actually foolish to buy a game the first year it is released.

Reactions: GodisanAtheist

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
For action/open world I see you're waiting for Cyberpunk (yeah it looks incredible). I'd say maybe pick up Metro Exodus too (especially if it's on sale).I never played the previous Metro games but I'm really liking this one and taking my time through it.

OCNewbie

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2000
Another vote for Subnautica for an awesome exploration experience, some cool base building, cool progression, etc. Such a unique/cool game.

PattenTank

Sep 6, 2019
I like to watch "welyn" on YouTube play Rust. Entertaining and funny.

Yes, I got into rust by watching rustacademy (I realised how fake the videos were aftter playing it), the guy throws around satchels like they're beancan grenades.

I still enjoy welyn videos, it's much more entertaining than playing. You gotto realise that's abotu 12-24 hours of playtime, condensed down to 20 min video.

There's so much farming involved. I quit playing rust because it was eating up all my time.

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
Yes, I got into rust by watching rustacademy (I realised how fake the videos were aftter playing it), the guy throws around satchels like they're beancan grenades.

I still enjoy welyn videos, it's much more entertaining than playing. You gotto realise that's abotu 12-24 hours of playtime, condensed down to 20 min video.

There's so much farming involved. I quit playing rust because it was eating up all my time.
I have the game but only played it a tiny bit when I first bought it, last year or maybe even the one before. Yeah I just don't wanna invest the time in it, but it does seem like a good game if you have the time.

Socio

Golden Member
May 19, 2002
I have just started playing a game called Metro Exodus it is like a good book that you don't want to put it down or in this case stop playing and would fit in your open world category.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
I forgot Outer Worlds is out now, from Obsidian. I remember the preview from many months ago looked pretty sweet....sort of like a space-cowboy open-world type game, I'm assuming very similar in design to the best of the current Fallout games (New Vegas!).

....haven't heard much in terms of reviews though, but it just released today? I'm going to keep my eye on it over the next month or so and see how it's turning out for people that play it.

mnewsham

Lifer
Oct 2, 2010
I've been playing The Outer worlds since last night. Played from 7pm to 2am. It's a fun RPG, good humor, good setting, and allows a fair bit of freedom and has some interesting game mechanics.

I particularly have enjoyed the flaws system.

2019-10-24 20_57_05.png
2019-10-25 01_04_18.png

It's available via Xbox game pass for PC, which is $1 for the first month and $4.99/month after. So if you just want to try the game out for a few weeks, $1 is all you need (or $4.99 if you've already used your $1 month).

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
Wait, Outer Worlds is a subscription-based game?

It's available on Steam in 2020, so I'm a little confused here.

mnewsham

Lifer
Oct 2, 2010
Wait, Outer Worlds is a subscription-based game?

It's available on Steam in 2020, so I'm a little confused here.
It's available on Epic games store for $60, or the Microsoft app store for $60.

However, it's ALSO available on Microsoft game pass, which works for PC or Xbox. The first month is $1, each month after is $4.99.

If you want to fully purchase the game, it's still $60.

And yea, it's an Epic game store "exclusive" so it wont be on steam until next year.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
I forgot Outer Worlds is out now, from Obsidian. I remember the preview from many months ago looked pretty sweet....sort of like a space-cowboy open-world type game, I'm assuming very similar in design to the best of the current Fallout games (New Vegas!).

....haven't heard much in terms of reviews though, but it just released today? I'm going to keep my eye on it over the next month or so and see how it's turning out for people that play it.

It's available as part of Microsoft's Xbox Game Pass Ultimate if you'd like to try it out. I don't know if they still have the deal going on, but they had a deal where you could convert your entire Xbox Live Gold subscription to the Xbox Game Pass Ultimate for $1. I ended up with a little over two years of said service!

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
This game feels to be a prime candidate to be in a Humble Bundle, perhaps before it even gets on the Steam Store. I bet it's first Steam sell it will be ~$10. I'll pick it up then.