Retiring TX GOP state senator testifies Repubs blatantly violated Voting Rights Act when redistricting

Cerpin Taxt

Lifer
Feb 23, 2005
A retiring Texas GOP state senator testified that the Republicans blatantly violated the Voting Rights Act during redistricting to lessen the voting power of black and Hispanic citizens.

Racists are as racists do, the GOP is as racist as they come.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
I'm shocked I tell you. Republicans were caught doing this in court in North Carolina.

This was the alleged reason behind the 2013 Shelby decision that eviscerated the Voting Rights Act.. We don't need preclearance because all those racist states are no longer racist.

Reactions: hal2kilo

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
I'm shocked I tell you. Republicans were caught doing this in court in North Carolina.

This was the alleged reason behind the 2013 Shelby decision that eviscerated the Voting Rights Act.. We don't need preclearance because all those racist states are no longer racist.

I still don't understand why Congress didn't immediately expand the rules covering Southern states to encompass all 50 states after Holder. Oh wait..yes I do!

A) Republicans were in charge of Congress
B) Even establishment Dems would've pooh poohed any suggestion that New York, Maryland, Illinois and California would have to lose their gerrymandered districts.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
A.

To get all states covered the Dems would have gone along with B.

Republicans have been working forever to disenfranchise the vote of POC.

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
A retiring Texas GOP state senator testified that the Republicans blatantly violated the Voting Rights Act during redistricting to lessen the voting power of black and Hispanic citizens.

From the article: Seliger told The Texas Tribune that his statement about the illegality of SD-10 was “more of a concern than it was an assertion” of whether there was a violation.
He doesn't sound all that convinced.

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
From the article: Seliger told The Texas Tribune that his statement about the illegality of SD-10 was “more of a concern than it was an assertion” of whether there was a violation.
He doesn't sound all that convinced.
What do you think?

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
Arizona: Hold our beers, Texas!

Welp, they've done it. Republicans in Arizona have completely transformed into a white supremacist fascist party hell-bent on undoing our democratic institutions. This proposed legislation finally says the quiet part out loud, legally.
--
The measure would require the state legislature to convene after primary and general elections to review the ballot counting process and “shall accept or reject the election results”.

The proposal does not require lawmakers to find evidence of fraud or lay out any factors they would have to consider in order to overturn an election. If the lawmakers were to reject the results, any voter in Arizona would be allowed to petition a local judge to hold a new election.

The same measure would also require Arizona voters to give an excuse if they want to vote by mail, even though mail-in voting has long been used by the vast majority of voters in the state. It also would restrict voting to election day and prevent the use of vote centers, essentially mega voting precincts where anyone in a county can vote, regardless of where they live.

One of the co-sponsors of the bill is Mark Finchem, a state representative who believes the 2020 election was stolen, has ties to the Oath Keepers, and was at the Capitol on 6 January. Finchem is running to be Arizona’s chief election official and Donald Trump has endorsed him.

“We need to get back to 1958-style voting,” John Fillmore, another Republican state representative who introduced the bill said on Wednesday, according to the Arizona Republic. Arizona had a racist literacy test in place in 1958, the Republic noted. The Voting Rights Act, which wiped out many blatant efforts to keep Black people from the polls, passed in 1965.

Xcobra

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2004
Arizona: Hold our beers, Texas!

Welp, they've done it. Republicans in Arizona have completely transformed into a white supremacist fascist party hell-bent on undoing our democratic institutions. This proposed legislation finally says the quiet part out loud, legally.
--
The measure would require the state legislature to convene after primary and general elections to review the ballot counting process and “shall accept or reject the election results”.

The proposal does not require lawmakers to find evidence of fraud or lay out any factors they would have to consider in order to overturn an election. If the lawmakers were to reject the results, any voter in Arizona would be allowed to petition a local judge to hold a new election.

The same measure would also require Arizona voters to give an excuse if they want to vote by mail, even though mail-in voting has long been used by the vast majority of voters in the state. It also would restrict voting to election day and prevent the use of vote centers, essentially mega voting precincts where anyone in a county can vote, regardless of where they live.

One of the co-sponsors of the bill is Mark Finchem, a state representative who believes the 2020 election was stolen, has ties to the Oath Keepers, and was at the Capitol on 6 January. Finchem is running to be Arizona’s chief election official and Donald Trump has endorsed him.

“We need to get back to 1958-style voting,” John Fillmore, another Republican state representative who introduced the bill said on Wednesday, according to the Arizona Republic. Arizona had a racist literacy test in place in 1958, the Republic noted. The Voting Rights Act, which wiped out many blatant efforts to keep Black people from the polls, passed in 1965.
How is any of this shit constitutional/legal is beyond me. The US is becoming a shit, backwards place as the years go by. I'm glad I'm out. Good luck, y'all!

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
The rules we all vote by used to be to the advantage of those that now realize it has turned against them and they're going to force those rules to change to be to their advantage again no matter what it takes to make it happen. The Constitution and the Rule of Law are now working against them and they will find ways to violate both while pretending to be the defenders thereof.

I mean, what else can they do now that they believe Trump had his election stolen from him despite the overwhelming proof to the contrary? The Repubs have made up their minds to refuse to peacefully transfer the power they held in DC over to the Biden administration and are now in the process of taking it back by, as it has been mentioned, perpetrating a slo-mo coup.

They're rigging every possible way to cheat their way to electoral victories and are absolutely fine with it as their total silence on the matter proves beyond doubt.

edit - If the Repubs pull this off it will absolutely mean that we are now looking at the demise of democracy and the rise of an authoritarian state led by a Republican dictatorship. First to go is free speech exactly like how China is silencing it in Hong Kong and exactly like how the conservatives here at home are banning books that make them look bad. And that's just for starters.

Last edited:

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999

I'm mot convinced that's the real issue. In the South, if you want to get elected it can be very helpful where white Southern Majorities prevail to sound like a racist even if you aren't. So while I wouldn't want to say definitely that every Republican is a out and out racists, those who run on racist ideas to win, while they may not actually be racists themselves are definitely and genuinely moral scum. I would prefer to use that more general and all encompassing term in that it can't fail to be accurate.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
I'm mot convinced that's the real issue. In the South, if you want to get elected it can be very helpful where white Southern Majorities prevail to sound like a racist even if you aren't. So while I wouldn't want to say definitely that every Republican is a out and out racists, those who run on racist ideas to win, while they may not actually be racists themselves are definitely and genuinely moral scum. I would prefer to use that more general and all encompassing term in that it can't fail to be accurate.
If the Republican party has 50 racists out of 250 and the rest are silent about it, you have 250 racists.

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005

Texass denied voting rights to a large number of citizens and the aclu is suing

"Texas can't shirk its obligations under federal law to release information about its new voter purge program," said Ashley Harris, attorney at the ACLU of Texas. "The public deserves to know why Texas continues to falsely flag U.S. citizens for removal from the voter rolls."

“The Secretary of State’s voter purge program once again surgically targets naturalized U.S. citizens for investigation and removal from the voter rolls,” stated Nina Perales, MALDEF Vice President of Litigation. “Naturalized U.S. citizens have the same right to vote as all other citizens, and this new lawsuit seeks to ensure that Texas treats its voters fairly.”

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009

Texass denied voting rights to a large number of citizens and the aclu is suing

"Texas can't shirk its obligations under federal law to release information about its new voter purge program," said Ashley Harris, attorney at the ACLU of Texas. "The public deserves to know why Texas continues to falsely flag U.S. citizens for removal from the voter rolls."

“The Secretary of State’s voter purge program once again surgically targets naturalized U.S. citizens for investigation and removal from the voter rolls,” stated Nina Perales, MALDEF Vice President of Litigation. “Naturalized U.S. citizens have the same right to vote as all other citizens, and this new lawsuit seeks to ensure that Texas treats its voters fairly.”
It's called caging. It a way of life for Republicans. I'm sure it's just because they like things all neat and tidy.

Reactions: KMFJD