Retired my 10 year old pump and...

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
found this to be a little bizarre.

This is the original Swiftech Apogee drive, as part of the much older H20-120 kit that I purchased back in 2007 or 2008. Below is what it looked like new.

QBnXi+

and this is what it looks like upon removing the tubing!

_VWOb+

the inlet and outlet are all eroded and smooth... am I missing something? I can actually kind of "squish" the tips now that they magically got softer. what caused this?

here's another with the shape crudely outlined:

rmajz+

there's no way they got hot enough to melt themselves into that shape so could it be that the coolant was actually eating away at the plastic? i have no idea how this thing NEVER LEAKED other than perhaps the tubing soft fusing to the inlets...

the pump is still usable but that housing is toast.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
gen1 apogee direct drives had one major flaw in that was those inlet and outlet ports.

People would also accidentally snap them off when doing cpu swaps, hence why Gabe @ swiftech discontinued them fast, and would not bring them back until we beg'd and beg'd him to on the gen2 direct drive.

the tubing fusing to the plastic, i would need to know what premix / antimicrob u used in the system.
It could be the result of C2SO4... aka petra pt nuke original, making our coolant slightly acidic.

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
interesting... I mean I've only ever used the Swiftech-supplied coolant + distilled water but I suppose close to a decade is a pretty decent run if they were flawed to begin with.

as for the corrosion on the NB block... I think it's copper on top of aluminum that's painted/treated to look like copper. it's an older board so I wasn't too surprised to see a bit of discoloration. that was pretty early for integrated NB blocks IIRC