Retard of the month

Nitemare

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
http://www.ktvu.com/news/15310750/detail.html

HAYWARD, Calif. -- Authorities have arrested an alleged 911 cell phone caller who was believed to have made more than 27,000 emergency calls, overwhelming California Highway Patrol and Hayward 911 systems.

The 911 calls started flooding in last May. The caller responded to emergency operators with bodily noises, muttering and pressing beep tones.

"He completely overwhelmed our system," said Desi Calzada, manager of the Hayward Communications Center, which operates 911. "He delayed the answering of other 911 calls because we were answering his."

John Triplette has been arrested night for investigation of abusing the 911 emergency line, a misdemeanor.

The CHP communication center in Vallejo started getting bogus 911 calls last May, then the Hayward center began getting the calls in January.

But before he was arrested, Triplette allegedly managed to call in another 10,000 calls to the police, as well as 4,000 to the Solano County Sheriff's Department, according to Lt. Chris Orrey, a spokeswoman for the Hayward Police Department.

When the investigators finally tracked Triplette down at his home in the 24000 block of Amador Street, he told arresting officers he was sorry.

When asked why he made the calks, he replied: "Because it's free."

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
Did they post his number? I'd be up for making some calls to this idiot even it wasn't free.

KT

MotF Bane

No Lifer
Dec 22, 2006
That's a misdemeanor? Definitely should be a felony. Who knows how many other people were harmed by his idiocy.

ConstipatedVigilante

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2006
He should spend a couple years in prison for that. Many people could've been killed due to a lack of emergency support. Seriously, "I'm sorry" after 27k calls?

GasX

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
I can see the arraignment now.

Judge we are charching the de-fen-DANT with 27000 counts of misdemeanor 911 abuse. We are seeking the maximum sentence for each count with any jail terms to be served consecutively.

sadly, no jail time for misdemeanors...

ConstipatedVigilante

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2006
Originally posted by: Mwilding
I can see the arraignment now.

Judge we are charching the de-fen-DANT with 27000 counts of misdemeanor 911 abuse. We are seeking the maximum sentence for each count with any jail terms to be served consecutively.

sadly, no jail time for misdemeanors...

Hopefully he'll pay out the ass in fines.

Gooberlx2

Lifer
May 4, 2001
When asked why he made the calks, he replied: "Because it's free."

Really? I remember playing with an old rotary phone's...uhh...hang-up-thingy... when I was a kid and accidentally called 911. We were billed like $4 for a non-emergency call. That was just one call in Wisconsin. No investigation, no repeats necessary for them to catch on. It automatically showed up on that month's bill.

27,000 calls x $4 per prank = $108,000 he would have been billed over the year in Wisconsin. My guess is he would have stopped after the first month.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
27,000 calls in less than a year? Like how? This guy is beyond dedicated.

Why would it take that long to figure out the who-done-it? The 911 system where I live knows the number you're calling from and, if you call from a cell phone, can lock it in emergency mode so the only way to hangup is to remove the battery.

frostedflakes

Diamond Member
Mar 1, 2005
27,000? WTF, does the guy have no life? Also you'd think it would get kind of old after about the 50th time.