Retailers that ask for Drivers License when credit card is used

spikespiegal

Golden Member
Oct 10, 2005
Anybody else find this annoying? With large purchases I can understand asking for secondary ID, or if the back of your credit card isn't signed.

.....But, it gets a bit out of hand when I stop in to pick up a $10 carry-out Pizza and the fat little clerk behind the counter insists on seeing my drivers license.

So, I pull up Visa's policy on this with my smart phone and show it to Frodo, who says 'oh...I didn't know that was the case, but I still need to see your ID because we're, uh, trying to fight identity fraud'.

Yeah....right. Reason I'm being a douche on this is because, Identity fraud for a custumer is more likely to occur from fuking staff at high turnover fast food joints than somebody stealing a credit card from my wallet and getting a $10 pizza.

Situations like these make me regret no getting another Ron Jeremy fan club card to whip out instead of my drivers license.

seepy83

Platinum Member
Nov 12, 2003
Here's another "wtf?!" moment that is along the same lines -
A friend of mine lost his wallet (drivers license, credit cards, etc). He took his passport with him as ID when he was going to Walmart to write a personal check (for about $80 worth of goods). Walmart's software that they have on their terminals will not accept ANYTHING other than a Driver License# when you are trying to pay with a personal check. So my buddy says "look, this is my passport...it has my picture on it, all of my information, and I needed to have my drivers license and at least 1 other form of ID so that I could be issued this passport. I know my drivers license number, it is *************. just put those numbers in your computer and let me check out". They wouldn't do it...they said there is no way for them to accept a personal check without a drivers license. So ridiculous...just another reason that I hate Walmart.

Kelemvor

Lifer
May 23, 2002
I know it's against the policy of the Credit Cared issuers but is it really that big of a deal? You open your wallet to get out the CC so just leave it open and flash them the DL too. My wife doesn't sign her CC. She writes "See ID" on it. This way it forces the people to ask for the DL so they can see the picture and be sure it's her.

Unfortunately this is also against the CC policy as if the card isn't signed, they say it's not valid. The USPS won't accept her CC because it isn't signed even though it's for her benefit.

If you want to make a big stink about it, go right ahead. But it's faster to just say Here and show it to them. And you'd be surpriseed how many stolen CCs get used for huge ticket purchases vs lots of small purchases. No one is checking the small ones so that's what a lot of thieves do. They get food, gas, groceries, etc and by the time someone notices, they're onto the next card.

FoBoT

No Lifer
Apr 30, 2001
fobot.com
no , it doesn't annoy me
we all pay for fraud through higher CC interest rates

if it bugs you, you should use CASH only or get a CC with your picture on it

my Costco AMEX has my photo, so when i use it, they don't ask for my DL

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Anybody else find this annoying? With large purchases I can understand asking for secondary ID, or if the back of your credit card isn't signed.

.....But, it gets a bit out of hand when I stop in to pick up a $10 carry-out Pizza and the fat little clerk behind the counter insists on seeing my drivers license.

So, I pull up Visa's policy on this with my smart phone and show it to Frodo, who says 'oh...I didn't know that was the case, but I still need to see your ID because we're, uh, trying to fight identity fraud'.

Yeah....right. Reason I'm being a douche on this is because, Identity fraud for a custumer is more likely to occur from fuking staff at high turnover fast food joints than somebody stealing a credit card from my wallet and getting a $10 pizza.

Situations like these make me regret no getting another Ron Jeremy fan club card to whip out instead of my drivers license.

Use cash if it bugs you so much. There is a lot of fraud and stolen identity use on those situations for exactly the reason you state. It is a small transaction that most people dont care about. I suspect that merchant has been hit enough times with fraudulent use of CC's that he is making sure who is using the card.

My sister had her purse stolen a decade ago that had her checkbook and CC's. She still gets delinquent notices on returned checks from, you guess it, mostly pizza places. Then she has to send them the court papers that show she is not responsible for the check.

Edit: btw I write on th eback of my CC's "See ID". So I actually want them to check and it annoys me when they dont.

Last edited:

nick1985

Lifer
Dec 29, 2002
I had a similar incident at a pizza shop. I bought a pizza with my CC, and the fat kid at the counter gave me a reciept to sign. I signed it "NICK" in all caps, not cursive. He then asked for my license, and when I showed him he didnt want to sell me the pizza because the signatures didnt match.

I walked out. Fuck them

brblx

Diamond Member
Mar 23, 2009
OP, crawl out from under rock, please.

this is worse than the 'goddamn police make me buckle my seat belt' thread.

edit- and asking for ID has nothing to do with the signatures matching. if someone tells you your signature doesn't match your license/credit card, punch them in the face.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
Here's another "wtf?!" moment that is along the same lines -
A friend of mine lost his wallet (drivers license, credit cards, etc). He took his passport with him as ID when he was going to Walmart to write a personal check (for about $80 worth of goods). Walmart's software that they have on their terminals will not accept ANYTHING other than a Driver License# when you are trying to pay with a personal check. So my buddy says "look, this is my passport...it has my picture on it, all of my information, and I needed to have my drivers license and at least 1 other form of ID so that I could be issued this passport. I know my drivers license number, it is *************. just put those numbers in your computer and let me check out". They wouldn't do it...they said there is no way for them to accept a personal check without a drivers license. So ridiculous...just another reason that I hate Walmart.

sad part is its not just walmart. The target in town has the same policy.

i asked why they do that. the manager said its because they use something called "check system" (or whatever its called). They go by drivers license number to keep track of bad check writers.

That way people can't write bad checks and then just open a new checking account.

Adrenaline

Diamond Member
Jun 12, 2005
My Bank of America card has my picture on it. I had someone ask me for my DL also and I showed it to them. I thought it was stupid, but arguing over something that could be solved in 3 seconds to prolong it to 30 seconds is even more stupid.

Best Buy ALWAYS asks for my ID and I don't care. It is all for your benefit.

Kelemvor

Lifer
May 23, 2002
I had a similar incident at a pizza shop. I bought a pizza with my CC, and the fat kid at the counter gave me a reciept to sign. I signed it "NICK" in all caps, not cursive. He then asked for my license, and when I showed him he didnt want to sell me the pizza because the signatures didnt match.

I walked out. Fuck them

Good. They did exactly what they are supposed to do. Not matching signatures means it's invalid and he shouldn't have sold it to you. If you were to contest the charge, they would compare the signature on the receipt to the signature on the card or DL. if it doesn't match, then it won't stand up.

I think it's Fuck you instead of Fuck them. Jackass.

rudder

Lifer
Nov 9, 2000
If I used a credit card it would not bother me. Mostly I will use a debit card so I am never asked.

I know a lot of people bitch about getting checked with small purchases... but the first thing someone with a stolen card will do is make a small purchase to see if the card is valid. Then they move on to the LCD TV's.

nick1985

Lifer
Dec 29, 2002
Good. They did exactly what they are supposed to do. Not matching signatures means it's invalid and he shouldn't have sold it to you. If you were to contest the charge, they would compare the signature on the receipt to the signature on the card or DL. if it doesn't match, then it won't stand up.

butthole

MotF Bane

No Lifer
Dec 22, 2006

I walked out. Fuck them

Definitely not a "fuck them" case, your signatures didn't match, the end.

rasczak

Lifer
Jan 29, 2005
you should be happy that retailers ask you for ID. If you continue with that attitude, I wouldn't be surprised if you get hit by identity fraud.

Skitzer

Diamond Member
Mar 20, 2000
I for one have absolutely no problem showing ID during a purchase with my Debit card, (I don't have any credit cards).

brblx

Diamond Member
Mar 23, 2009

because the kid at pizza hut is a handwriting analysist. :rolleyes:

newsflash: it does not matter what the fuck your signature looks like. if i want to sign the credit card receipt 'MARTY MCFLY' in block letters, that's my business and you can eat a turd sandwich.

nick1985

Lifer
Dec 29, 2002
because the kid at pizza hut is a handwriting analysist. :rolleyes:

newsflash: it does not matter what the fuck your signature looks like. if i want to sign the credit card receipt 'MARTY MCFLY' in block letters, that's my business and you can eat a turd sandwich.

Seriously. The picture on my license was obviously me.

IGBT

Lifer
Jul 16, 2001
In the signature bar on all my cards I write," Photo ID Required".

mb

Lifer
Jun 27, 2004

Wow, what an asshole. :thumbsdown:

Gooberlx2

Lifer
May 4, 2001
Doesn't bother me one bit. I have "please ask for ID" written on the back of my cards, in addition to my signature (since, as another poster mentioned, some retailers will give you shit about it).

xanis

Lifer
Sep 11, 2005
I have "See ID" on the back of my debit card. It's really not that much effort to pull out my DL when I whip out the card anyhow, and I'd rather have my identity confirmed.

mb

Lifer
Jun 27, 2004
Heh, kind of reminds me of back when I was in high school and worked at Panera Bread. There was this one lady that came in every Sunday to buy coffee, a bagel and cream cheese. She had "see id" on the back of her card and she would get so pissed if we didn't ask to see her ID each time, even though most of us recognized her.

MovingTarget

Diamond Member
Jun 22, 2003
I have "See ID" on the back of my debit card. It's really not that much effort to pull out my DL when I whip out the card anyhow, and I'd rather have my identity confirmed.

This. If you want to transact something anonymously, bring cash. I'd rather retailers check ID for CC purchases than not in order to prevent fraud. The signature on the back isn't sufficient imho because it is too easy to fake a signature to the untrained eye. Photo ID is much better.