Resume question

steppinthrax

Diamond Member
Jul 17, 2006
Originally posted by: Mears
See poll

Depends on the position and if one or the other is weak in your case. Most Resums list education first. But you can design resumes to concentrate mainly on experience v.s. education. Also if the job requires more experience v.s. education that would be a good idea. If your education is strong but experience weak then I would list education first and vice versa.

oDii

Jan 26, 2006
From my experience with employers (at least here in New Zealand) just having a piece of paper with your name on it isn't going to do much - they want to know how you apply those skills in the workplace, not that you've sat in a seat for how ever many years.

Capt Caveman

Lifer
Jan 30, 2005
Experience first, education last. If you're newly out of school or only been working for a few years, education being first is probably alright.

Imdmn04

Platinum Member
Jan 28, 2002
It depends.

If you don't have a lot of experiences but have a good education from a reputable school, then put education first.

If you have lots of experience but no formal education other than University of Phoenix, then list education after experiences.

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Originally posted by: Imdmn04
It depends.

If you don't have a lot of experiences but have a good education from a reputable school, then put education first.

If you have lots of experience but no formal education other than University of Phoenix, then list education after experiences.

After a few years, nobody cares where you went to school or what you majored in.

The only resume where you list education first is if you are applying for a position in education.

Imdmn04

Platinum Member
Jan 28, 2002
Originally posted by: spidey07
It depends.

After a few years, nobody cares where you went to school or what you majored in.

The only resume where you list education first is if you are applying for a position in education.

You will be surprised how much school reputation matters in fields other than IT.

For IT, which is more practical than theoretical, school does not really matter that much.

But for industries like finance and law, the difference in pay between top ranked school and average school is enormous. Even more so, many "elite" firms won't even look at your resume if you don't have an ivy-league education.

TipsyMcStagger

Sep 19, 2003
Depends on the position you are applying for

for example I work at an accounting firm and for staff level resumes, its education first, but for senior or manager level resumes, its experience first.

PhoenixOrion

Diamond Member
May 4, 2004
Experience first.

<---------Interviews and hires people. First and foremost, I'd like to know what you're currently doing work-wise.

imported_Imp

Diamond Member
Dec 20, 2005
I'd say whichever is more appealing. I'd still go for experience though. You can go to all the schools you want, get yours masters, Phd, etc., but if you've never held a job, who cares? Then again, if your best job is McDonalds or janitor for 5 years, I'd list education first. I'm about 1 year from finishing my program, and only use a few lines to list my education while half the page if experience. However, I'm getting tired of using the same format for my resume I came up with in grade 10, so going to do a complete overhaul soon. Still plan on putting experience before education.

Zolty

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2005
Whichever is more relevant to the job. Example: You apply for a job as an electrician, might be best to leave that english degree on the bottom.

SacrosanctFiend

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2004
Easy answer: List your selling point first. If you are fresh out of school with little work experience, list education first. If you have been out of school for 15 years, list experience first. If you have a graduate degree, list education first. If you are applying for a job in another country, most prefer you have education listed first.

Injury

Lifer
Jul 19, 2004
Put your best foot forward.

If you only have a High School Diploma but you've done some impressive work, are you going to brag about your education first?

NuroMancer

Golden Member
Nov 8, 2004
I'd say that you taylor it to the job posting.

If they are looking for a recent graduate from a program, then they want to see the educations first.

If they are looking for a senior person to fill a role with 10+ years of experience, well then they want to see your experience so put it first.

LegendKiller

Lifer
Mar 5, 2001
Originally posted by: spidey07
It depends.

You will be surprised how much school reputation matters in fields other than IT.

For IT, which is more practical than theoretical, school does not really matter that much.

But for industries like finance and law, the difference in pay between top ranked school and average school is enormous. Even more so, many "elite" firms won't even look at your resume if you don't have an ivy-league education.

I work at an i-bank. Nobody gives a rats ass what school I went to. I have a BA in psychology from a Big10 and an MBA from a lower tier school.

That being said, if you have a very small amount of experience, such as an internship or working at Wal Mart during summer break, and you have just finished college, education first. After your first job, experience first.

DougK62

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2001
No hard rule for this. You put first whatever is the most impressive. If you're a newb grad it'll probably be education. If you've been working for a while it'll probably (hopefully) be experience.