Resume Question

Danman

Lifer
Nov 9, 1999
Throughout my high school career, all I did was built computers for customers throughout town. I did this for about 3 years for friends, family and their friends and family. Can I site this in my resume? Or would this be really stupid?

xuanman

Golden Member
Oct 5, 2002
it's not stupid at all. definitely resume-worthy. besides, having it on your resume is better than not having anything else in its place.

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
It's "cite" BTW, just to save you from confusing the two in an email to your boss :)

It's probably wirth listing in applying for a technical position, just be careful to list it as "part time" so it doesn't look like you're trying to inflate the experience into more than it is.

(ed) if you don't have much or any post-HS work experience. Once you have at least 1-2 years of full-time work experience you should drop it from your resume, unless you're applying for a hardware-oriented position and are light on full-time experience.

Cougar

Golden Member
Feb 26, 2000
Originally posted by: cashman
Throughout my high school career, all I did was built computers for customers throughout town. I did this for about 3 years for friends, family and their friends and family. Can I site this in my resume? Or would this be really stupid?

I did basically the same thing (but through college and not high school) and I stuck it on my resume. I don't know if it helped any but it was a heck of a lot better than having nothing there. However, now that I've got a few contracts under my belt I took that section off. I figure it's always better to list "professional" experience than "personal" experience.