Results in from World of Goo pay-what-you-want experiment. Conclusion: people suck

Oct 27, 2007
[link]

As most of you know 2D Boy recently ran a birthday promotion where they offered World of Goo to customers for a price to be determined by the buyer - pay whatever you want for the game.

Results:
Donation by platform
dailyavg1.png

Donation by country
bycountry.png

Total copies sold: 83,250

Personally I'm disappointed in what people paid for the game, I think it is an excellent example of how much gamers in general just fucking suck. I didn't purchase this game through the promo because I already bought 2 copies at full price.

brblx

Diamond Member
Mar 23, 2009
i bought it for five bucks on steam.

worth ten or fifteen, imo. though i wasn't willing to pay that amount until i played through and quite liked it.

AnonymouseUser

Diamond Member
May 14, 2003
Total copies sold: 83,250

Personally I'm disappointed in what people paid for the game, I think it is an excellent example of how much gamers in general just fucking suck. I didn't purchase this game through the promo because I already bought 2 copies at full price.

I was disappointed as well, but even I only paid $3 for the game (because money is tight). Still, I felt like helping them out, so I did what little I could. Those that only paid a penny are true assholes (and there were a lot of them).

dguy6789

Diamond Member
Dec 9, 2002
People are greedy, people suck, etc... Nothing surprising here. I bought the game for $15 for the Wii.

EarthwormJim

Diamond Member
Oct 15, 2003
I wonder if they made more or less money during this promotional time period versus the same length of time at full price.

PhatoseAlpha

Platinum Member
Apr 10, 2005
No, it's the windows user's everyone assumes are pirates. If everyone assumes anything of linux users, it's that they are zealots.

It's interesting, for sure, but not as cut and dried as made out to be. They mention in their blog that sales of the game on steam jumped markedly during the sale. Hardly unrelated, and definitely worth noting - steam is a windows only platform, and World of Goo is $20 still.

I'm curious as to when exactly someone decided their price - anybody know?

Zensal

Jan 18, 2005
I paid $6 for it.

My payment was based on my ability to pay and the amount of convenient money available, and not so much what the game was worth to me, sadly. I already had $6 in my PayPal account and when your getting by without a steady, full-time job, money can be tight.

I probably would have paid $10 for it, had the money been available, though I'll probably buy it on Steam later anyway.

Mike Gayner

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2007
I read this article a few days ago and wanted to punch a wall. People are such assholes. I paid US$10 in this promo, and I honestly thought that's around what the average would be.

DangerAardvark

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2004
There was a coffee shop in Washington that did something similar to this a few years back. You basically ordered then paid whatever you thought it was worth.

They're back to regular pricing now.

mmnno

Jan 24, 2008
Played the demo and got bored in 5 minutes. I didn't hear about this promo but I would have passed it up at $5. $2.50 sounds about right for a game I have zero interest in beyond "hey, almost free game."

Piuc2020

Golden Member
Nov 4, 2005
2D Boy allowed you to pay any price for the game.

Don't bitch that people actually took up on their offer o_O

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
Greedy? Suck? The company offered for it what you would pay, just like the company offers their employees pay based on what they think a position is worth. How is that any different? Oh, that's right, all of our salaries are too low, as well.

Here's a question, if the company offered it for free through their website, yet it cost money otherwise on other delivery platforms (D2D, Steam, etc), would you still buy it? I know I didn't when Crazy Machines was a free download (posted on our very own Hot Deals) a couple months ago, yet still cost money on Steam.

What you see as greedy, I see as wise personal fiscal policy.

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
There was a coffee shop in Washington that did something similar to this a few years back. You basically ordered then paid whatever you thought it was worth.

I remember reading an article about them a couple years ago. they claimed to be making a profit. I guess the newspaper should have waited a couple years to see if that held true.

minmaster

Platinum Member
Oct 22, 2006
well the avg donation amount by country statistic is useless unless we know how many total sales are from each country. in smaller countries where very few copies were purchased, it's too hard to make the conclusion of their "generosity" based on such small sample size. for all we know one guy in turkey could've bought it for 18 cents.

Maximilian

Lifer
Feb 8, 2004
Greedy? Suck? The company offered for it what you would pay, just like the company offers their employees pay based on what they think a position is worth. How is that any different? Oh, that's right, all of our salaries are too low, as well.

Here's a question, if the company offered it for free through their website, yet it cost money otherwise on other delivery platforms (D2D, Steam, etc), would you still buy it? I know I didn't when Crazy Machines was a free download (posted on our very own Hot Deals) a couple months ago, yet still cost money on Steam.

What you see as greedy, I see as wise personal fiscal policy.

*Thumbsup*

lupi

Lifer
Apr 8, 2001
guess what, if a car dealer offered cars tomorrow for what you wanted to pay for and you think you're going to see any offers over 3 digits, you're an idiot.

Soundmanred

Lifer
Oct 26, 2006
I read this article a few days ago and wanted to punch a wall. People are such assholes. I paid US$10 in this promo, and I honestly thought that's around what the average would be.

Calm down there Gaynerd. You really got that mad over this?
They have pills for that.

As for the OP, it really isn't that surprising. If you went to the store to buy a game and they asked if you wanted to pay for it or you could just have it for free, you can honestly say you'd still offer to pay for it?

ZzZGuy

Golden Member
Nov 15, 2006
What's objectionable about these numbers? This sale targets those that don't really like the idea of this game and would never buy it. With unlimited supply this sale milks money out of those that do actually value this game at $2, though even if I had known of this sale this game doesn't appear to be worth the effort of making a $2 payment online, but that's just me.

The only problem would be if this type of sale was to be expected at some point, most people would just wait so they can pay less then what they are willing to pay. Not much different then waiting for a store to have a sale on, but this is a little more drastic.

Last edited:

Malak

Lifer
Dec 4, 2004

I live across the street from a coffee shop that serves free coffee. Imagine if the whole world was like that, money would be obsolete.

misle

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2000
I paid $5 for it because I've seen it sell on Steam for that price. But, to be honest, I've played more interesting flash games for free on the web. Definitely wasn't worth $5 to me.