Restructuring the Reserves

Status
Not open for further replies.

cwjerome

Diamond Member
Sep 30, 2004
http://www.vp60.com/tmp/persistent/form206429/reserves.html

Excerpts:

"The Pentagon is finalizing a controversial plan to reshape and redefine the reserve components across the entire force -- including the creation of a new “hybrid” service member who will commit to serving far more than traditional reservists but not as much as active-duty troops.

An internal report moving up the chain to the desk of Defense Secretary Robert Gates calls for creating a new type of service agreement for reservists who, for example, may want to commit to drilling 90 days a year and mobilizing for one out of every three years, according to officials familiar with the draft report.

Traditional reservists expect to drill about 38 days a year and mobilize one year out of every six.

The draft plan also recommends ramping up the operational roles of the reserve components by deploying them to Europe and South Korea, making them a more integral part of the military’s global posture.

That could help relieve stress on the active-duty force and potentially save money, said Robert Smiley, the Pentagon’s principal director for readiness, training and mobilization for reserve affairs."

"...But a significant minority may seek a greater commitment. About 25 percent of currently mobilized reservists, roughly 20,000 troops, are volunteers.

“There are people out there who are willing to engage … more often, and we have to leverage that,” Smiley said at a March 22 meeting of the Reserve Forces Policy Board."

"A study commissioned by the Army’s leadership reported last fall that it needed to expand its mobilization authority to allow for reservists to handle routine rotations. The study looked at many ways the Army could institutionalize the reserve component “as part of the Army’s operational force.”"

This makes sense to me because there are those in the reserve who love orders and deployments and those that like contributing but not being away from family so much. Those reservists with jobs that make it possible (or no job) should like this development.

wuliheron

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2011
With perpetual warfare now the norm this just introduces a new way to cut costs by hiring more temps to do the jobs normally done by full time employees.

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
Hard to imagine that there are many civilian careers that would mesh well with this. I assume employers will still be legally required to tolerate this without firing the reservist?

wuliheron

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2011
Hard to imagine that there are many civilian careers that would mesh well with this. I assume employers will still be legally required to tolerate this without firing the reservist?

I think a major selling point of the proposal is that the number of vets coming home to find their jobs taken is increasing. Sure, they could insist their employer hire them back or sue them in court, but that isn't exactly a great addition to your resume. This gives both employee and employer a better grasp on what is expected of them and more opportunities to opt out.

manimal

Lifer
Mar 30, 2007
Why don't we just privatize the Army and let Blackwater police the world...

jk

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
I think a major selling point of the proposal is that the number of vets coming home to find their jobs taken is increasing. Sure, they could insist their employer hire them back or sue them in court, but that isn't exactly a great addition to your resume. This gives both employee and employer a better grasp on what is expected of them and more opportunities to opt out.

I don't think that's it at all. If your job isn't held for you while you're deployed\mobilized with the National Guard or Reserves, you don't have to sue your employer. There's an entire government office that handles these complaints and will hammer your employer for you.

It just seems strange to me to create a midway point between active and reserve. "Somewhat less active."

wuliheron

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2011
I don't think that's it at all. If your job isn't held for you while you're deployed\mobilized with the National Guard or Reserves, you don't have to sue your employer. There's an entire government office that handles these complaints and will hammer your employer for you.

It just seems strange to me to create a midway point between active and reserve. "Somewhat less active."

Whether its the courts or some fed employers don't like being told what to do anymore then the rest of us and it doesn't make for a great relationship. If the government can alleviate that problem somewhat then why not. Like I said, its similar to hiring a temp and there is no single one-size-fits-all contract for temps. Some a day labor, some are computer experts, and their contracts reflect those differences.

cwjerome

Diamond Member
Sep 30, 2004

About 25% of reservists who are mobilized are volunteers, many of whom volunteer a lot. We call them tour babies. They tend to be single and have jobs that make it possible, or no steady job at all. With the Optempo declining, they are looking at ways to tap into this demographic while maintaining operational relevance for the reserves as a whole. The reserve will not go back to being an unused, strategic backup like in the 1950s-80s.

Chances are they will simply keep the current set-up and continue providing opportunities for those reservists who want to be more active.

piasabird

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Mandatory service for everyone upon graduation for High School or on their 18th birthday if they drop out.

Better yet:

No one can be deployed unless Congress declares war. Recall all troops from foreign countries like korea, japan, Europe, South America. World War II ended a long time ago so bring all the troops home. Why does the USA have to fight all these wars to free Muslims?

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001

You have proof of that happening?

Didn't think so.

Brovane

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2001
About 25% of reservists who are mobilized are volunteers, many of whom volunteer a lot. We call them tour babies. They tend to be single and have jobs that make it possible, or no steady job at all. With the Optempo declining, they are looking at ways to tap into this demographic while maintaining operational relevance for the reserves as a whole. The reserve will not go back to being an unused, strategic backup like in the 1950s-80s.

Chances are they will simply keep the current set-up and continue providing opportunities for those reservists who want to be more active.

We have a couple of those where I work. Where I work they cover the difference between your military pay and your civilian job so they don't even suffer a drop in income.

Status
Not open for further replies.