Restaurant refused to serve trump supporter

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Painman

Diamond Member
Feb 27, 2000
You're giving him too much credit for intelligence, you gotta hit him over the head with a brick for him to get it. He probably doesn't even remember how much he screamed about it when Ari Fleischer said the exact same damn thing and he thought it was Un-American. Oh the cows the left had when he said "all Americans that they need to watch what they say, watch what they do."

I remember that quote, and I was actually looking for that quote, but all I could quickly find was links to the entire 27 minute shpeel. Lost my patience, and posted what I posted.

Knowing

Golden Member
Mar 18, 2014
Wait this thread is about Hillary?

No but she is a candidate and buyer beware cuts both ways.

Hillary is slightly more warhawkish than Obama and drammatically less warhawkish than any GOP candidate excluding maybe Rand Paul. So if your goal is to keep the country off the war path as much as possible, you should be voting for Hillary in November.

There is also no conclusive evidence that Hillary is a corporatist bankster sellout, but even if there was, the GOP panders to that sector harder anyway, so if your goal is to limit corporate and bankster influence on government, you should be voting for Hillary in November.

I think Hillary is considerably more hawkish than Obama. My concern with her is that her former lackeys are already paving the way for a shooting war with Russia after screwing up more countries in the Middle East and supporting a coup in Central America. At least with a conservative there will be popular opposition to any hawkishness. With Hillary I'm predicting that anyone who opposes her ambitions of American imperialism will be called a sexist because the intervention is "necessary" or the "bad guys" crossed a "line in the sand." Judging from how much money Hillary has received from wall street and co. (See also, insurance company donations to Obama) I'm not inclined to believe that either of the major parties isn't a wholly owned subsidiary of bad actors in Manhattan. I wish more than anything that I could throw my vote away this year like every election before it but this time I'm probably going to get roped in to picking a side.

Q: Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton are stranded together on a deserted island, who lives?
A:
The American people.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
First of all, I'm not a Trump supporter

Second of all, you're a mindless authoritarian jackhat for believing in the power of peer pressure.

I didn't say you were. The "you" in that post was clearly referring to the person who has a Trump sign on their lawn.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
No but she is a candidate and buyer beware cuts both ways.

I think Hillary is considerably more hawkish than Obama. My concern with her is that her former lackeys are already paving the way for a shooting war with Russia after screwing up more countries in the Middle East and supporting a coup in Central America. At least with a conservative there will be popular opposition to any hawkishness. With Hillary I'm predicting that anyone who opposes her ambitions of American imperialism will be called a sexist because the intervention is "necessary" or the "bad guys" crossed a "line in the sand." Judging from how much money Hillary has received from wall street and co. (See also, insurance company donations to Obama) I'm not inclined to believe that either of the major parties isn't a wholly owned subsidiary of bad actors in Manhattan. I wish more than anything that I could throw my vote away this year like every election before it but this time I'm probably going to get roped in to picking a side.

Q: Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton are stranded together on a deserted island, who lives?
A:
The American people.
I can't roll my eyes hard enough at the bolded.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

It must be tough for him to live his life as an eternal victim of liberal bullying.

I'm happy to see conservatives are already trying to inoculate themselves against the very real sexism that exists in America by attempting to preemptively delegitimize that sort of criticism. You saw it with Obama and race.

cbrunny

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 2007

Hulk smash … ISIS.

A musclebound behemoth known as the “Iranian Hulk” is set to be unleashed on Islamic State terrorists.

The 24-year-old weightlifter, whose real name is Sajad Gharibi, plans to bust out his weapons of mass destruction — in the case, bulging delts, biceps and triceps — on the jihadi occupiers in Syria.

I want so badly for this to be a movie.

Knowing

Golden Member
Mar 18, 2014

Why? In the beginning of the Obama presidency when it was decided that drone strikes were constitutional and he would preserve extraordinary rendition and I pointed out that those were two very bad Bush policies that he was critical of I was called a racist, it continued with GITMO the targetted killing program, etc, on and on, ad nauseum. I'm merely extrapolating the identity politics in play now.

Painman

Diamond Member
Feb 27, 2000
Here's one of the results that came up when I googled, "Be careful what you say"

And it's from 2006... when the presidency was still a mere twitching sensation in Hillary's crotch, not the full-on devouring phenomenon that it is now

https://youtu.be/LDodWOCFxeI

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000
The problem here is that you're dancing a fine line between the potential 'political' message of the t-shirt and established racial discrimination laws.

Yep, who do you think will make greater use of fskimospy's "opinion = no service", people righteously refusing service to some Trump supporter, or bigots using it to wholesale deny service to blacks, gays, and any other targeted group? For every baker that you force to make a wedding cake for a same-sex marriage there will be hundreds of blacks being turned away not because of their race but instead for their "opinions." Which opinion doesn't even really matter. Hell, something like "nice weather today isn't it?" is an opinion.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Yep, who do you think will make greater use of fskimospy's "opinion = no service", people righteously refusing service to some Trump supporter, or bigots using it to wholesale deny service to blacks, gays, and any other targeted group? For every baker that you force to make a wedding cake for a same-sex marriage there will be hundreds of blacks being turned away not because of their race but instead for their "opinions." Which opinion doesn't even really matter. Hell, something like "nice weather today isn't it?" is an opinion.

It's not like you're the first person to come up with that idea. People usually try to claim that their denials based on race or whatever are really based in something else. It's usually ineffective. I have no doubt people will keep trying it, but such is life. That's when you bring down the hammer.

We will keep forcing bakers to abide by the law, same as racists.

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000
It's not like you're the first person to come up with that idea. People usually try to claim that their denials based on race or whatever are really based in something else. It's usually ineffective. I have no doubt people will keep trying it, but such is life. That's when you bring down the hammer.

We will keep forcing bakers to abide by the law, same as racists.

Who wins when your overwhelming desire to allow discrimination against those with opinions you dislike (such as supporting Trump) runs up against your hatred of discrimination against oppressed groups?

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Why? In the beginning of the Obama presidency when it was decided that drone strikes were constitutional and he would preserve extraordinary rendition and I pointed out that those were two very bad Bush policies that he was critical of I was called a racist, it continued with GITMO the targetted killing program, etc, on and on, ad nauseum. I'm merely extrapolating the identity politics in play now.
Got a link to that?

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Who wins when your overwhelming desire to allow discrimination against those with opinions you dislike (such as supporting Trump) runs up against your hatred of discrimination against oppressed groups?

I don't have overwhelming desires when it comes to that, it's just the law. If someone thinks they can cloak their racism behind other reasons I encourage them to try because sooner or later they will reap the consequences.

I'm not just comfortable with discrimination based on choices, I'm an affirmative supporter. You should be too.

Painman

Diamond Member
Feb 27, 2000
I don't have overwhelming desires when it comes to that, it's just the law. If someone thinks they can cloak their racism behind other reasons I encourage them to try because sooner or later they will reap the consequences.

I'm not just comfortable with discrimination based on choices, I'm an affirmative supporter. You should be too.

"If someone thinks they can cloak their racism behind other reasons I encourage them to try because sooner or later they will reap the consequences."

Found the racist.

FerrelGeek

Diamond Member
Jan 22, 2009

So (hypothetically) if a black person wearing Hillary regalia walks into a restaurant and said regalia makes people uncomfortable, the owner of said restaurant (who has Gary Johnson signs posted) is entitled to ask the Hillary supporter to leave and should fear no consequences?

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
So (hypothetically) if a black person wearing Hillary regalia walks into a restaurant and said regalia makes people uncomfortable, the owner of said restaurant (who has Gary Johnson signs posted) is entitled to ask the Hillary supporter to leave and should fear no consequences?

Yes of course they are allowed to not serve people based on their political affiliation.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009

Eskimospy: They will reap the consequences.

You: They should fear no consequences?

Why are you acting like he said the opposite of what he actually said?

Sonikku

Lifer
Jun 23, 2005
Somehow liberals will support this. I wonder if the restaurant will be sued and fined for refusing service?

Maybe hang a sign up, no GOP members allowed?

I think it's Republicans that stand up for a business's right to do whatever they want. It ain't the libs.

I think you're confused.