Question Resources on how to replace old power supply with RM650x,

Mr_Ghost

Apr 27, 2018
I recently got a good deal on an `RM650x for $80, bit the bullet and got one despite not intending to upgrade my computer fully for a few years to come.

I'm going to replace an old XFX bronze that came with my prebuilt PC from five years ago (i.e. a shop built for me, not as in one from HP or Dell or the like). I'd like to replace it in the coming weeks, but there aren't very many videos on replacing power supplies on YouTube, so I'm not sure if it's literally as simple as plugging all the old cables out and plugging all the new ones in and it works, or if there is anything else I should be wary of.

Any ideas, or links to resources to replacing power supplies?

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
It's pretty simple.

You just have to pay attention to plug the cables into where they are supposed to go into the PSU (I believe the RMx is a unit where you can't accidentally plug the wrong ones in), and the other side of the cable only will plug into your components one way.

It's pretty simple, so maybe that's why there isn't many "how to" videos on it?

Here's a video of someone installing a different Corsair unit, but it should be very similar to your unit:

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
I guess one thing I forgot to mention is never reuse cables from a different PSU. There is no standard on the PSU side, and it can damage your components. So remove all of your existing cables, and make sure to only use the ones that came with your new PSU.

Reactions: amenx

Harry_Wild

Dec 14, 2012
How I did it was to have the new PSU out and just take the current connect out one by one and put it in the new PSU! That way you do not get lost in the connections. Take several pictures before you begin too. They screw out the current one and replace with the new one!

Mr_Ghost

Apr 27, 2018
How I did it was to have the new PSU out and just take the current connect out one by one and put it in the new PSU! That way you do not get lost in the connections. Take several pictures before you begin too. They screw out the current one and replace with the new one!

I wasn't aware you could install it from the outside, as most PC build videos install the CPU in the case and then proceed to do all the cabling. Though if you could start off with doing all the cables and then put it inside the case, that seems like the best way to do it.

Thanks for the tip, I'm sure will be super helpful ^^

amenx

Diamond Member
Dec 17, 2004
I guess one thing I forgot to mention is never reuse cables from a different PSU. There is no standard on the PSU side, and it can damage your components. So remove all of your existing cables, and make sure to only use the ones that came with your new PSU.
Very good point. Some PSU makers have capcitors in the cables, like the Corsair RMx. So must always stick with its cables.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Very good point. Some PSU makers have capcitors in the cables, like the Corsair RMx. So must always stick with its cables.
It's not just that. It's a wiring / pin-out issue too.

I was actually just thinking about that earlier this morning, why haven't PSU makers (and the SFF committee, which is responsible for mechanical specs on the PC platform), gotten together and made an "ATX Modular Specification", with pin-outs and specs for modular PSUs and their cabling and connections? I think that would go a long way, for newbie PC builders that might not know that you CANNOT re-use modular cables between PSUs (not just brands either, sometimes not even between different models / ratings of the same brand!)..