Resounding Bush Success in Afghanistan . . .

BaliBabyDoc

Lifer
Jan 20, 2001
boosting poppy production
WASHINGTON (Reuters) -- Poppy cultivation in Afghanistan doubled between 2002 and 2003 to a level 36 times higher than in the last year of rule by the Taliban, according to White House figures released Friday.
Every country needs a growth industry . . .

The White House statement said, "A challenging security situation ... has complicated significantly the task of implementing counternarcotics assistance programs and will continue to do so for the immediate future."
I thought WE secured Afghanistan . . . must be those pansy European coalition members.

"Poppy cultivation in Afghanistan is a major and growing problem. Drug cultivation and trafficking are undermining the rule of law and putting money in the pocket of terrorists," it added, quoting office director John Walters.
I know what we need . . . a good ad campaign to get US druggies to stop funding terrorists.
rolleye.gif

Genesys

Golden Member
Nov 10, 2003
hmmm, perhaps its not really drugs...maybe they really like poppyseed muffins!! mmmmm good!

Miramonti

Lifer
Aug 26, 2000
The tv taught me "buying drugs supports terrorists."

Looks like we just make afghanistan 36x the terrorist haven that it once was.

Who needs alqueda.

Skyclad1uhm1

Lifer
Aug 10, 2001
'Secured Afghanistan'? The US troups in Afghanistan are too busy combing out the mountains in which no enemies are, while the enemies capture one Afghani city after another again.

Fortunately for Bush the US 'liberal' television stations won't report news which might make him look less perfect. Unfortunately for him (and for Blair) the BBC does.

BaliBabyDoc

Lifer
Jan 20, 2001
Fortunately for Bush the US 'liberal' television stations won't report news which might make him look less perfect. Unfortunately for him (and for Blair) the BBC does.
There's nothing to report . . . America liberated Afghanistan and has invested billions upon billions in rebuilding the nation . . . all is well in Afghanistan:confused:

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Apparently the world heroin supply was getting a little thin, and the profits were going to the wrong people. That's fixed...

A very coherent argument can be made for simply buying up the world's opium supply at the source- it would be a helluva lot cheaper and more effective than the WoD, the perpetual snipe hunt...

Enter the WoT, same whore, different dress...

Czar

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
just pay the locals who are in control $700 million to make it illegal, worked a couple of years ago:p

Dari

Lifer
Oct 25, 2002
what's the point of this thread? If there's a market for drugs, there will be suppliers. Poppy cultivation has always been Afghanistan's main source of export. Regime change won't change that. The only thing that will stop poppy cultivation is either an iron fist or less demand.

IHMO, all drugs should be legalized. Responsibility, the medical industry, market forces, and insurance should be the only ones actively involved in this area. Law enforcement should not.

beer

Lifer
Jun 27, 2000
Cool, no one why I've been having more in my savings account lately. My monthly expendictures are on the fall!

BaliBabyDoc

Lifer
Jan 20, 2001
what's the point of this thread? If there's a market for drugs, there will be suppliers. Poppy cultivation has always been Afghanistan's main source of export. Regime change won't change that. The only thing that will stop poppy cultivation is either an iron fist or less demand.
I doubt the US appetite for heroin abated during 1998-2000 . . . yet production in Afghanistan slowed to a trickle. Apparently regime change does make a difference . . . basically the iron fist of an invested government. The US/Coalition in Afghanistan lacks the will and/or ability to push the poppy trade back across the border to Pakistan by cracking down on Afghan growers.