Resolved... Thank you everyone for their critism!

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

konichiwa

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
The real question is whether YOU bought it from Dell. If not, you can't sell it as a Dell but you can say it is DELL-Like or the exact same as DELL, etc. Glad you made the right decision to refund the poor sap's money ;)

Tom

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: kitkit201
Look, Im going to get the machine back tomorrow, and verify if it works or not. Either way I will refund the money and post up another auction making sure that the machine works and stating that the machine is LIKE DELL 5000

good ! :sun:

RagingBITCH

Lifer
Sep 27, 2003
Originally posted by: Saulbadguy
This is easy. Refund his money. Its not an Inspiron 5000. You ripped him off.

I did not rip him off, 8 days of laps time and he sent it back to me...

I am in t he middle of writing a response back to him... stating.. this..
Walter-

First off, I never had any problems with the install of Windows XP on the unit, and if there was a problem, you should have let me know after I sent a reply back to you on Feb 6th, describing what NTFS utility to use so you can reformat it. You never responded back to me for a week concerning what you found out from the laptop and now you give me this email stating that you have already sent the laptop back to me because you are unsatisified with it.

If you look at my auction listing more carefully, I posted many pictures of the unit itself. On there, there are NO markings, nor did I mention any markings that it is a Dell, other than the fact that I said it on my title. I never had the chance to explain this to you, but back when Dells were not as popular as they are now, they did not create their own line of laptops. Instead, they bought the models from other manufactors in the Far East and Bay Area so Dell was the middlemen for many laptops, including this one. It?s like buying a Scion, (www.scion.com) a Toyota brand over here. It says Scion, but you know the manufacter is from Toyota.

I never got the chance to even explain this to you, but if you check this website right here.. http://kropf.net/i5000/ it explains everything you need to know about the laptop. I sold it as a dell 5000 inspiron because the laptop comes from the same family line as the Compal N38W3. It even has better specs then the Dell 5000 Inspirion to begin with anyways.

Clearly it IS a dell 5000, but it doens't have be marked in order to signify it!

Dell Inspiron 5000 P3 800 Laptop Notebook !!!
You are looking at and bidding for a very well maintained Dell Inspiron 5000.

You said it twice that it is a Dell Inspiron 5000. You then said it's an Inspiron 5000 for the model number. If that's not ChemBook's model number then that's wrong too. You told him to go visit Dell's support site for more information, yet he wouldn't be able to get support for the laptop because it's not a Dell, despite what you say about the innards of it.

Like every other person in this thread said, you're wrong - refund the money back to the guy and consider yourself lucky that he doesn't give you a negative. I know I sure as hell would if I was the buyer. I would be beyond pissed.

kitkit201

Diamond Member
May 31, 2000
Originally posted by: RagingBITCH
Originally posted by: Saulbadguy
This is easy. Refund his money. Its not an Inspiron 5000. You ripped him off.

I did not rip him off, 8 days of laps time and he sent it back to me...

I am in t he middle of writing a response back to him... stating.. this..
Walter-

First off, I never had any problems with the install of Windows XP on the unit, and if there was a problem, you should have let me know after I sent a reply back to you on Feb 6th, describing what NTFS utility to use so you can reformat it. You never responded back to me for a week concerning what you found out from the laptop and now you give me this email stating that you have already sent the laptop back to me because you are unsatisified with it.

If you look at my auction listing more carefully, I posted many pictures of the unit itself. On there, there are NO markings, nor did I mention any markings that it is a Dell, other than the fact that I said it on my title. I never had the chance to explain this to you, but back when Dells were not as popular as they are now, they did not create their own line of laptops. Instead, they bought the models from other manufactors in the Far East and Bay Area so Dell was the middlemen for many laptops, including this one. It?s like buying a Scion, (www.scion.com) a Toyota brand over here. It says Scion, but you know the manufacter is from Toyota.

I never got the chance to even explain this to you, but if you check this website right here.. http://kropf.net/i5000/ it explains everything you need to know about the laptop. I sold it as a dell 5000 inspiron because the laptop comes from the same family line as the Compal N38W3. It even has better specs then the Dell 5000 Inspirion to begin with anyways.

Clearly it IS a dell 5000, but it doens't have be marked in order to signify it!

Dell Inspiron 5000 P3 800 Laptop Notebook !!!
You are looking at and bidding for a very well maintained Dell Inspiron 5000.

You said it twice that it is a Dell Inspiron 5000. You then said it's an Inspiron 5000 for the model number. If that's not ChemBook's model number then that's wrong too. You told him to go visit Dell's support site for more information, yet he wouldn't be able to get support for the laptop because it's not a Dell, despite what you say about the innards of it.

Like every other person in this thread said, you're wrong - refund the money back to the guy and consider yourself lucky that he doesn't give you a negative. I know I sure as hell would if I was the buyer. I would be beyond pissed.

I'm already going to refund his money + shipping charges, and I offered an appology letter to him. Everyone makes mistakes..

Pennstate

Diamond Member
Oct 14, 1999
OK, let close the thread. lessons learned. Taking care of this matter asap will leave you with more time and effort to concentrate on other aspects of your life.

brxndxn

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2001
It's only a DELL if DELL sold it as a DELL product. I mean.. Staples sells Bic pens and Staples brand pens. Is the Bic pen I bought form Staples a Staples pen? NO.. only if Staples re-branded it. If the laptop says Chembook, it was rebranded by Chembook and NOT Dell. IT IS NOT A FVCKING DELL LAPTOP. It's like a Dell.. it's not a Dell. When the guy needs service, he can't get Dell service for it.

You're the type of Ebay scum that sold me a "New Sealed in Box" copy of the ST DS9 Season 2 DVD set only for me to find that it was sealed except the bar code was ripped off the case making it look ugly and the picture taken hid it from view.

The only reason businesses like Ebay - and Capitalism, furthermore - work is because people are generally honest. If I buy a Hilfiger shirt from Ebay and find that the shirt was made in the same factory as Hilfiger but is really a JC Penny shirt and it doesn't have the stupid little Hilfiger logo, I'd be pissed.

You suck at teh Ebay. How you have 100% positive feedback I do not know.. probby cause' people are too pussy to leave negative feedback - even though it's their duty to the Ebay community.

"You are looking at and bidding for a very well maintained Dell Inspiron 5000." No, I am not. I am looking at a Chembook - a lesser laptop.

You should refund the guy's money AND shipping. You owe him a big apology.

kitkit201

Diamond Member
May 31, 2000
Originally posted by: Pennstate
OK, let close the thread. lessons learned. Taking care of this matter asap will leave you with more time and effort to concentrate on other aspects of your life.

Well said Pennstate.. I thank everyone for their critism and comments.. I learned something valuable today and I sure hope some of you did as well.. thanks again for the help...

This is the last post... case resolved!