RESOLVED DSL disconnects every time I get a call on my landline

mdoglol

Jul 7, 2007
The crisis is over, DSL is working again.

This has been happening for the entire year+ I've had dsl. The problem:

Anytime we pick up and connect our landline phone by calling or answering, dsl disconnects. It then reconnects after about 30-40 seconds, but once we hang up it repeats.

This is not how DSL should work; does anyone know what could be wrong or had this problem before?

MORE INFO: I have these "dsl filters" connected to every phone in the house, as the installation guide instructs. I have 3 phones, 2 of which are cordless. I have tried simply disconnecting both of these in case their frequencies somehow interfered (not sure how this happens but I know it can be a problem). Currently, the setup is: phone jack > dsl filter > modem > router.

Edit:
EVEN MORE: My two cordless phones operate on 900 MHz and 2.4 GHz. The 900 MHz one connects to the dsl filter with the modem.

Two computers connect to the router, one via Ethernet and one via wireless antenna. Both are affected by incoming and outgoing land line calls, so I don't think interference from the phones is the problem (even though I know 2.4 GHz can cause issues). Does this all sound right? :(

GaryJohnson

Jun 2, 2006
You shouldn't need a filter between the jack and the modem. Just a filter between the jacks and phones. jack > filter > phone; jack > modem

If the filters you have are the two-way splitter type with a male cable or plug that connects to the jack and two female ports then make sure the phones are connected to the correct female port. Usually one port will be filtered and the other port will not (as the intention is you will use one port for a phone and the other for your DSL modem). The ports will be labeled in some way.

If you still have a problem, try disconnecting all the phones at their jacks but one. Then try calling out from that one phone. Does it still disconnect the DSL? Try this individually with each phone. If you can't find just one phone that causes it to disconnect, then the interference is coming from somewhere behind your wall jacks.

mdoglol

Jul 7, 2007
The DSL filter in my flow diagram does is one of those two-way splitters you mention GaryJohnson, one female port for the modem and one female port for a phone. I just neglected to mention that there was a phone connected to it as well.

I will try what you recommended, and I'm going to add some more info to the original post. Thanks.

OH, GaryJohnson, what exactly do you mean by the interference is coming from somewhere behind the wall jacks?

Modelworks

Lifer
Feb 22, 2007
Unplug all the phones and filters. Plug the modem directly into the wall jack, not through the splitter. Now call the home phone from a cell phone.
Does it still disconnect ?

This is an important test because when someone calls you there is a higher voltage that is sent down the line to make the phone ring. The modem should be filtering that out.

The connection dropping when you make a call out makes me think that the voltage on your phone line is marginal. Look on your phone bill and see if you have inside wire maintenance on the bill. They usually try to add it on for a few $$ a month. If you do then call the phone company and tell them the problem , that fee you pay each month covers wiring problems inside the home as well, so you have nothing to lose by calling.

I advise people that have a lot of phones in the home on different jacks to not use filters at every jack, instead install a outdoor DSL splitter that provides a separate wire for just the modem and you don't need filters in the home at all. Every filter you plug in lowers the quality of the phone line.

Searching ebay the box cost $20 shipped. Not my listing.
http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_n...dsl+splitter&_osacat=0

Very easy to self install.
Mount the box outside.
connect the phone line from the phone companies box , red +green wires to tip ring screws. Connect the phone line going into the home to red + green voice screws and then Yellow+black wires to data.

Inside the home go to the jack that the modem uses and replace it with a two line jack. So that red+green goes to the jack for the phone, and yellow to red and black to green screws on modem jack.

Now you can just plug in the phones like usual and plug the modem into its own special jack.

mdoglol

Jul 7, 2007
Thank you everyone who replied. I ended up calling AT&T and in the end a technician came out to our house to look in our phone box.

Turns out we had an old part that was incompatible with DSL, and this was the source of the problem. The technician was surprised it even worked at all. Everything is working as it should now, no charge too since it was AT&T's fault.

SinxarKnights

Dec 16, 2007
Nice one! Glad you got it all sorted. But for the record the DSL in our area requires the filter to be placed before the modem or it will disconnect when a call comes in.

Kinda strange though because the modem has a 2 jacks, one for line in and one for a phone but the phone jack dont filter and if connectected directly to the landline we get the disconnects. If you connect a phone to the modem it will disconnect when you try to make/receive a call aswell.

Can't wait until low latency satellite is avalible.