Resolution honoring Jackson faces GOP opposition

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/200...chael_jackson_congress

By SUZANNE GAMBOA, Associated Press Writer Suzanne Gamboa, Associated Press Writer ? 2 hrs 24 mins ago
WASHINGTON ? Congresswoman Sheila Jackson Lee may have trouble keeping the promise she made at Michael Jackson's public memorial for a House resolution that "forever" honors the late pop star.

Jackson Lee, a Texas Democrat, took the stage Tuesday at the Staples Center in Los Angeles and hoisted a framed copy of the resolution, embossed with a gold seal. The measure will be debated on the House floor, she said.

For that framed, embossed resolution to be completely legit, it must first get past some opposition.

Rep. Peter King, a New York Republican who called Jackson a "pervert, child molester, pedophile" in a video he posted on YouTube this week, vowed Tuesday to do "whatever I have to do" to oppose honoring Jackson.

Without mentioning King by name, Jackson Lee noted at the memorial that Michael Jackson was acquitted of child molestation charges. She blasted critics who "don't understand the hearts of entertainers" and "don't know how they heal the world on behalf of America."

"We understand the Constitution. We understand laws and we know people are innocent until proven otherwise. That is what the Constitution stands for," Jackson Lee said, clutching the framed resolution in front of her shiny white suit.

It was all nice that people paid their respect to perhaps one of the greatest musical icon of our time.

But I would say this Congresswoman is really pushing it!!

It doesn`t matter how many charities he gave to or performed for the bottom line is....
IMO if it was anyone of us we would be in jail right now for the things Michael has been accused of....
When you have money you can afford to be labeled eccentric.......

RIP MJ!!!

Jun 27, 2005
Only a DEMOCRAT would try to honor a drugged out child molester because he was 'talented'.

To be fair to Dems... I'm sure that at least... Oh I don't know... 60% of them (best guess?) rolled their eyes at her proposal, tacitly acknowledging her for the nut she is.

He's dead. Let's all be thankful.

Drift3r

Jun 3, 2003
I have to agree this is about the most stupid idea ever. Like we don't have enough issues to deal with in this country.

Robor

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Whoozyerdaddy
Only a DEMOCRAT would try to honor a drugged out child molester because he was 'talented'.

To be fair to Dems... I'm sure that at least... Oh I don't know... 60% of them (best guess?) rolled their eyes at her proposal, tacitly acknowledging her for the nut she is.

He's dead. Let's all be thankful.

You can count me among the 60% that thinks this is a stupid idea. To the bolded - way to stay classy.

Double Trouble

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
I'm sure glad congress has absolutely nothing more important to do than worry about whether to "honor" Jackson or not. Oh wait, there's this little economic issue, healthcare, immigration, budget deficit, a few wars etc etc etc etc etc etc. Can we just move on past the stupid MJ stuff now that he's finally burried and every assclown pollitician is done pretending how much they cared about him?

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
There's already a day that honors him and all other freaks like him, it's called Halloween.

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
I don't care if they take a vote and let the chips fall where they lie, but there's no way they should spend any time debating this.

rudder

Lifer
Nov 9, 2000
Originally posted by: loki8481
Originally posted by: sapiens74
fix economy please

the control and influence that Washington has over the economy is vastly overrated.

amen... get back to wokring on that resolution for NAMBLA day.

Painman

Diamond Member
Feb 27, 2000
Stupid for anyone in the US Gov't to waste time deifying or vilifying this man. That goes for Rep. King of NY, or Rep. Sheila Jackson Lee of TX.

Jackson was a phenomenon, to be sure, but the Private Sector is more than doing its job of exploiting his memorial (I'm personally sick of seeing his 11 YO daugher's tears everywhere... let the poor girl grieve in private... I feel so terrible for her).

The US Gov't has much bigger "crises" in which to intervene, FFS.

nobodyknows

Diamond Member
Sep 28, 2008
I guess if she wants to use MJ's death as a way to get her name out there then I'll help.

Office Of Congresswoman Sheila Jackson Lee

Washington Office
2160 Rayburn Building
Washington, DC 20515
(202) 225-3816 Phone
(202) 225-3317 Fax

jonks

Lifer
Feb 7, 2005
We don't need a resolution honoring him but if you've looked at the all the evidence and circumstances and came to the conclusion that MJ was a child molester instead of a weirdo who liked spending time with kids then you fail.

RyanPaulShaffer

Diamond Member
Jul 13, 2005
This shows just how out of touch our legislature is with the needs of the country. They have so few real issues to debate that they even have to consider something as silly and trivial as this? There aren't bigger problems to tackle at the moment?

Give me a break.

nobodyknows

Diamond Member
Sep 28, 2008
Originally posted by: jonks
We don't need a resolution honoring him but if you've looked at the all the evidence and circumstances and came to the conclusion that MJ was a child molester instead of a weirdo who liked spending time with kids then you fail.

Did you see the locks he had on his bedroom door??

Wreckem

Diamond Member
Sep 23, 2006
Originally posted by: nobodyknows
I guess if she wants to use MJ's death as a way to get her name out there then I'll help.

Office Of Congresswoman Sheila Jackson Lee

Washington Office
2160 Rayburn Building
Washington, DC 20515
(202) 225-3816 Phone
(202) 225-3317 Fax

Its better than her past attempts like fighting with a flight crew and being banned from flying on certain airlines.