Resistive screen and capacitive screen

Danish Zubair

May 12, 2022
Hi I am really confused about the difference between a resistive touch screen and a capacitive touch screen. I have done lots of research about it, but it confused me even more, Can somebody please tell me the difference between these two types of screen and also where they are used? Thank you

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999

Reactions: GrumpyMan

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
Hi I am really confused about the difference between a resistive touch screen and a capacitive touch screen. I have done lots of research about it, but it confused me even more, Can somebody please tell me the difference between these two types of screen and also where they are used? Thank you

Resistive screens are the 'old' tech; as the name implies, they register feedback based on pressure. They're relatively cheap and can work well with gloves, but the technology is generally imprecise... and of course, requires jabbing the touch layer. You can't really do multi-finger touch or other complex gestures. These days, they tend to be used in industrial settings or other situations where you probably won't be using your bare hands.

Capacitive touch is named that because it responds to the electrical signals coursing through your fingers. It's the go-to choice for nearly every touchscreen device today because it's precise, doesn't require force and enables multi-touch. It's used virtually everywhere — phones, tablets, some laptops, cameras... if you find a consumer-oriented device with resistive touch, it's a rarity.