Resident Evil 7 reviews.

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
I lost all interest in RE games since RE5. Played the first four (and countless others) for years and I still go back and replay RE4 about once a year, but I don't think I've touched RE5 or 6 since I initially played them.

Dankk

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2008
I've been playing RE7 since it unlocked on Steam a few hours ago. If the rest of the game is as good as the first 2 hours, then it's easily GOTY material for me.

It's a masterpiece, from both a design standpoint and a technical standpoint. They did a fantastic job at making you really feel like you're there. The environment has a personality of it's own, and the sound is incredible. Everything feels very "reactive" - without spoiling too much - when enemies in the game are chasing after you, tearing through walls and destroying furniture, it feels a little too real.

The graphics - specifically, the characters, animations, and emotions - are really impressive.

When Shinji Mikami left the series and RE5 and RE6 came out, I thought the series was doomed to mediocrity. Good goddamn this has been a surprise to me though. If you appreciate the older RE games, or you just enjoy survival horror games in general, then this is a must-buy.

Skel

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2001
I lost all interest in RE games since RE5. Played the first four (and countless others) for years and I still go back and replay RE4 about once a year, but I don't think I've touched RE5 or 6 since I initially played them.

I feel the same. I was a huge RE fan until 5 came around. It just didn't click for me, and then 6 had me giving up on trying to keep up with the overly polluted story line.

Tweak155

Lifer
Sep 23, 2003
Seems to be getting solid reviews... while I'd likely play on XB1 (unless there is some other compelling reason not to? usually FPS I prefer KB & M, but this isn't fast paced like that, right?), this would be my first return to the series since RE: Code Veronica on Dreamcast. I've played RE1, 2 and Code Veronica. I heard 4 was pretty good and might try that one too, love the theme and the previous ones I have played, so these reviews have me tempted.

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
I heard 4 was pretty good and might try that one too,

RE4 took the game into an over-the-shoulder action game without sacrificing too much of the survival/horror feel. The ability to manually aim along with reactions from different body parts hit on top of being able to melee attack staggered enemies, make RE4 my all-time favorite RE game. I still love the atmosphere of the first two games (Nemesis didn't do much for me), but I prefer the ease of movement during the action rather than spending three seconds trying to do a 180 when dogs jump over a fence.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
I played the demo on ps4 and I enjoyed it. The last horror game I played was evil within and it took me a while to finish it because I usually take my time in games like that.

If I do get this I was thinking of getting it for ps4 pro, unless the PC offers better visuals/options.

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
I can't think of a single time when a console version offered better visuals or options as opposed to the PC version.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
I can't think of a single time when a console version offered better visuals or options as opposed to the PC version.
Just one of those games I'd rather play from the couch and I could trade it in as soon as I would finish it. Plus it should be upscaled to 4k if anything, the game is a dark one so visuals aren't really anything to decide on.

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
RE7 is nothing like 5 & 6 ...so if you liked the originals you will probably like this one.

Transition to 1st person works better than I thought it would and the VR is super creepy but you don't get as much eye candy.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
I watched some Yakuza 0 videos and I could not get into it. Looked kind of repetitive. Maybe I'll pick that up when it's on sale and just get resident evil for now.

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015

An argument could be made for FF7, which had some pretty impressive visuals when it came out compared to what PC had to offer at that time (until it hit PC at least). Jan1997 for FF7, 1996 gave us diablo, tomb raider, DN3D, Quake, etc. We did get Jedi Knight and Myth in '97 though.

jtvang125

Diamond Member
Nov 10, 2004
I was thinking of picking this up but after the price jumped to $40 after the preorder ended I'm a little hesitant now. Especially since I'm not even half way through GTA5 and just barely touched The Division, two games I bought just recently.
I watched a few minutes of the game play and it does look true to the earlier RE games. Liked RE2 and loved RE3 so I think I'll enjoy this too. Started 4 but don't think I ever finished it. I'm probably in the minority but I loved 5 due to the more open atmosphere. The creepiness and scare factor definitely took a nose dive but I still enjoyed it.

edit: Anyone know if this game supports 21:9 UW resolutions?

Harrod

Golden Member
Apr 3, 2010
I loved re4 and I think I beat re5 on ps3, that said after watching some game play of re7, it really doesn't look like my cup of tea.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
I'm really liking the game so far. Beat the first boss already, took some time and it was intense. I can only imagine it gets worse from here.

I believe you eventually need to deal with everyone in the family to save your girlfriend.

Inventory management is key and knowing when to create what and when to store what you don't need will help you drastically while you explore the areas.

I've also gone back several times to the save rooms to constantly save after gathering new materials or clearing out an area.

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
Seems to be getting solid reviews... while I'd likely play on XB1 (unless there is some other compelling reason not to? usually FPS I prefer KB & M, but this isn't fast paced like that, right?), this would be my first return to the series since RE: Code Veronica on Dreamcast. I've played RE1, 2 and Code Veronica. I heard 4 was pretty good and might try that one too, love the theme and the previous ones I have played, so these reviews have me tempted.
A very good reason to play on PS4 is that VR is exclusive to PS4 and the game was designed for it.

It's amazing in VR.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
A very good reason to play on PS4 is that VR is exclusive to PS4 and the game was designed for it.

It's amazing in VR.
A friend of mine has it for VR. While I don't have a headset myself, I'd like to try it out. Although I think I wouldn't do too well. The camera movement is already kind of stiff without it. Also, I'd probably be more creeped out.

thejunglegod

Golden Member
Feb 12, 2012
Reminds me of The Evil Within, which is a very good thing. Looking forward to getting my hands on this.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
Marguerite is a pain in the butt to beat. I am stuck without a lot of ammo too. I may need to go and equip the grenade launcher after making more room in the inventory.

jtvang125

Diamond Member
Nov 10, 2004
I caved in and picked it up this past Sat. I'm at the part where I've finally escaped the house and so far I'm really enjoying it. It has definitely gone back to its roots and seems to be a mix of 2 and 3 but with a FPV. This minimizes much of the clunky and confusing controls due to the static camera angles of the earlier games. If you're looking for a shoot'em up type game like 5 and 6 then I suggest you look elsewhere.

Ackmed

Diamond Member
Oct 1, 2003
edit: Anyone know if this game supports 21:9 UW resolutions?

It does not. I picked 3440x1440, top and bottom are cut off. Very annoying. Likewise I don't think you can change keys, I was forced to use WASD, I have always used ESDF. Its a fucking PC game, I should be able to change keys to anything I want. I only fired it up for a min before I had to go. Maybe I missed something but I don't think so. Might be another game I buy on PC and PS4 both.

Skel

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2001
I finally broke down and picked this up. They did do the creepy of the middle of no where swamp lands right. The beginning of the game had me creeped out until the action started. Then it kind of lost that magic. I'm hoping it'll come back the further I go.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
I finally broke down and picked this up. They did do the creepy of the middle of no where swamp lands right. The beginning of the game had me creeped out until the action started. Then it kind of lost that magic. I'm hoping it'll come back the further I go.
It gets worse and by worse I mean more creepy.