Resident Evil 4 coming to Xbox One and Playstation 4

HOOfan 1

Platinum Member
Sep 2, 2007
Resident Evil 4 is probably in my top 5 favorite games ever. I played it through twice back to back on the PS2, which for me took about 65 hours. I am not sure Gears of War, Uncharted and The Last of Us would exist without the influence of Resident Evil 4.

It looks like they are bringing over the same lame trophy list from the PS3 version though. Honestly, I still have my PS2, and the PS4 version doesn't seem to look that much better than the original, so the biggest reasons I have to buy the PS4 version are: 1)Ensure I have a backup, because I've already had one PS2 die, 2) Hopefully more modern controls, I went back and toyed around with RE4 on my PS2 after having played GoW and Uncharted, and the controls seemed very unintuitive after that, 2) Trophies

The trophy list for RE4 is horrible, and RE5 and RE6 both have Platinums, so it seems ludicrous a game as big as RE4 doesn't.

I can think of plenty of trophies, and I haven't even played the game in 10 years

Hit 3 Ganados with one kick-Bronze
Kill 5 enemies with one grenade-Bronze
Kill 10 parasites with flashbangs-Bronze
Kill 5 enemies by dropping oil lamps on them-Bronze
Shoot all the pendants and get the Punisher from the Merchant-Bronze
Defeat the Lake Monster-Bronze
Blow 5 enemies by shooting the dynamite in their hand-Bronze
Get the dog to help you fight El Gigante-Bronze
Make Ashley Hide 10 times-Bronze
Try to look up Ashley's skirt-Bronze (trophy name-Pervert)
Lure a Garrador into getting it's claws stuck in a wall and shoot it in the back-Bronze
Kill the Bella Sisters-Bronze
Kill the El Gigante after leaving the house where Ashley, Leon and Louis were ambushed-Bronze
Drop a boulder on the head of the above El Gigante-Bronze
In the first fight with Krauser, don't get cut-Bronze
Collect all the pieces of the Salazar family crown-Bronze
Shoot the Merchant-Bronze
Upgrade any of your weapons to the max-Bronze
Start NewGame+ with the Chicago Typewriter and Ganster outfit and do a pose-Bronze
Take both paths after the house ambush and kill El Gigante and the Bella Sisters-Silver
Kill Bitores Mendes-Silver
Kill the Right hand of Salazar-Silver
Defeat Krauser-Silver
Kill Salazar-Silver
Kill the U-3 monster-Silver
Collect all the bottle caps-Silver
Get a score of 4000 Points at all 4 shooting galleries-Silver
Defeat Saddler and escape the Island-Gold
Unlock all the weapons-Gold
Defeat the game on Professional-Gold

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
GET HYPE FOR YET ANOTHER REMAKE GUYS!!!!

At this point, this is what, triple dipping? Hey if idiots keep on buying the same game multiple times, more power to the gaming companies.

And people wonder why the gaming industry has no innovation...

nurturedhate

Golden Member
Aug 27, 2011
GET HYPE FOR YET ANOTHER REMAKE GUYS!!!!

At this point, this is what, triple dipping? Hey if idiots keep on buying the same game multiple times, more power to the gaming companies.

And people wonder why the gaming industry has no innovation...

Is this really any different from buying a movie on VHS 30 years ago, buying it again on DVD 15 years ago, and then buying it again on bluray this year? Plenty of people do that with no qualms. The same with books, hard copy to paperback to digital. Tech and life progress and people want to bring their memories forward with them.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Is this really any different from buying a movie on VHS 30 years ago, buying it again on DVD 15 years ago, and then buying it again on bluray this year? Plenty of people do that with no qualms. The same with books, hard copy to paperback to digital. Tech and life progress and people want to bring their memories forward with them.

Yes it's quite different. It's an apples to oranges comparison. They are completely different industries with different business plans.

Sulaco

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2003

Yes, and when RE4 is 30 years old and has only been ported to two different formats, you might have more of a point with that analogy.

As it stands, it's just barely over a decade old, and has now been ported onto almost every single gaming device out there. Arguably one of the most ported games ever. With multiple editions of the ports.

If every 15 years you want to bring your favorite movie onto a new medium, have at it. But in the video game world, we're seeing essentially remakes/ports of remakes and ports within a few years of each other.

nurturedhate

Golden Member
Aug 27, 2011
Yes, and when RE4 is 30 years old and has only been ported to two different formats, you might have more of a point with that analogy.

As it stands, it's just barely over a decade old, and has now been ported onto almost every single gaming device out there. Arguably one of the most ported games ever. With multiple editions of the ports.

If every 15 years you want to bring your favorite movie onto a new medium, have at it. But in the video game world, we're seeing essentially remakes/ports of remakes and ports within a few years of each other.

Isn't that more an issue of changes in format/device more than anything else? If there had been several more iterations of media formats over the years we surely would have seen the same things with movies. Actaully, throw in laser disk, beta, HD DVD, special editions, limited releases from Disney, and the rest and the situation is very much the same.

Let's say someone was 8-10 when RE4 came out on PS2 and never had the chance to play it. Should that person now need to go hunt down a functional PS2, a working controller, a non scratched up copy of the game, and don't forget a memory card! just to play the game? That sounds like a brilliant idea. The issue with your assumption is that it assumes the target market for this re-release are people who previously bought the game and while there may be some overlap it isn't the main audience.

What you are proposing is that people should be forced to hunt down an inferior by today's standards means of playing a classic. That is absurd. Wait, let me go and read Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by candlelight so I can get the full effect of the time. Let's make laws that permit me to only play Super Mario 3 on an old Zenith TV from the late 80s and nothing newer with those wonderful square controllers.

I have no plans on buying this myself, but within five or so years my oldest son will be old enough to play through some of this stuff and I'm happy there will be a way to share my past with him in the future.

HOOfan 1

Platinum Member
Sep 2, 2007
Some people like to play older games....some equipment needed to play older games doesn't work anymore. I'd rather spend $16 to buy RE4 for PS4 then go out and spend $70 on a used PS2 that may not even last a year because of the notoriously crappy optical drive.

BTW, you will never hear me whining that the gaming industry doesn't innovate. There are hundreds of new games and new IPs coming out every year.

Last edited:

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Isn't that more an issue of changes in format/device more than anything else? If there had been several more iterations of media formats over the years we surely would have seen the same things with movies. Actaully, throw in laser disk, beta, HD DVD, special editions, limited releases from Disney, and the rest and the situation is very much the same.

Let's say someone was 8-10 when RE4 came out on PS2 and never had the chance to play it. Should that person now need to go hunt down a functional PS2, a working controller, a non scratched up copy of the game, and don't forget a memory card! just to play the game? That sounds like a brilliant idea. The issue with your assumption is that it assumes the target market for this re-release are people who previously bought the game and while there may be some overlap it isn't the main audience.

What you are proposing is that people should be forced to hunt down an inferior by today's standards means of playing a classic. That is absurd. Wait, let me go and read Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by candlelight so I can get the full effect of the time. Let's make laws that permit me to only play Super Mario 3 on an old Zenith TV from the late 80s and nothing newer with those wonderful square controllers.

I have no plans on buying this myself, but within five or so years my oldest son will be old enough to play through some of this stuff and I'm happy there will be a way to share my past with him in the future.

The difference is that movies have staying power over time and a different target audience. Movies are as good today as they were 50 years ago. Games can feel very out of date with core game mechanics and bad AI, bad collision detection, poor animations etc. This is a rerelease, not a remake.

Generally when a studio releases a movie on a new format they clean it up, re-mix the audio, and in some cases re-scan the film negatives with new color timing for the new format. They often will consult with the director or their estate to do the movie the justice it deserves. They don't do that with games. They doll it up with higher resolution and stick a price on it most of the time. Very few games get a proper remake for the new hardware. With games we want to see the benefit of the new hardware and companies aren't always doing that. How many times have we heard "if we had this capability we could make a very cool game" well, where is it? Where is the new and impressive game worlds they told us about? They are happy to take your money but I really don't see much benefit to consumers with their business model. This gen with the PS4 and XB1 have been quite pathetic in terms of getting new releases out there that aren't annual titles.

Last edited: