Question reset to 8.1 did not complete

Wheeler43

Jun 14, 2021
i had a Whea_uncorrectable error.. So I started over for a number of complicated reasons., I used my HP OE. 8.1 recovery disk for recovery. All went well until it did not finish and now I have an incomplete windows 8.1 Pro installation. the only choice it gave me was to start over. When I restated and got to that heinous Dialog box for about the 15th time, I finally used control-alt-del and opened the task manager. with this, i was able to get to internet explorer. Now, I need help to fix 8.1. I searched for downloads but the results are that they will not open/install or when i use the catalog , it replies that it is not for this pc. please any help to correct this would be greatly appreciated.
I am disabled so i am limited by a lack of energy, but i will try anything. my computer is my second soul mafte after my wife. Thank you all.

PS: i have changed by hard dive from an array to a solid state.. Sorry , i missed this.

Chiefcrowe

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2008
Is this a fresh install? Maybe you need to clone your install from your HD to the SSD?
Also, it could be a HW issue so I would run diagnostics for that too.

In any event, I would recommend switching to Windows 10. Since they announced the end of support for 10 already (4 more years!), 8.1 is probably reaching EOL pretty soon.

Reactions: Shmee and deustroop

bba-tcg

Apr 8, 2010
computerguyonline.net
i had a Whea_uncorrectable error.. So I started over for a number of complicated reasons., I used my HP OE. 8.1 recovery disk for recovery. All went well until it did not finish and now I have an incomplete windows 8.1 Pro installation. the only choice it gave me was to start over. When I restated and got to that heinous Dialog box for about the 15th time, I finally used control-alt-del and opened the task manager. with this, i was able to get to internet explorer. Now, I need help to fix 8.1. I searched for downloads but the results are that they will not open/install or when i use the catalog , it replies that it is not for this pc. please any help to correct this would be greatly appreciated.
I am disabled so i am limited by a lack of energy, but i will try anything. my computer is my second soul mafte after my wife. Thank you all.

PS: i have changed by hard dive from an array to a solid state.. Sorry , i missed this.
For a clean install of 8.1 or 10, you can link to the required file(s)/tools from here: https://www.howtogeek.com/186775/how-to-download-windows-7-8-and-8.1-installation-media-legally/

I haven't installed 8.1 in a long time. It may require an interim key to be input before it will complete the install. Windows 10 won't present this potential issue.