Researchers get approval for potential HIV vaccine

Jan 25, 2011
Researchers in London, Ontario, (my hometown) announced yesterday they have received FDA approval for clinical tests of an HIV vaccine that they hope will lead to a marketable drug in 5 years.

http://www.ottawacitizen.com/health/Canadians+start+vaccine+clinical+trials/5890341/story.html

Canadian researchers working on a vaccine to prevent HIV announced Tuesday they have received approval from the U.S. Food and Drug Administration to begin clinical trials on humans in January.

A team led by Dr. Chil-Yong Kang, a virologist at the University of Western Ontario, plans to start Phase 1 of clinical trials on 40 HIV-positive patients to test the safety of the vaccine.

"FDA approval for human clinical trials is an extremely significant milestone for our vaccine, which has the potential to save the lives of millions of people around the world by preventing HIV infection," Kang said in a news release.

It could be about five years before the vaccine goes on the market, Kang told Postmedia News.

The SAV001 vaccine, administered as an injection, has already gone through preliminary toxicology tests on animals. It didn't show any adverse effects or safety concerns and can be produced in large quantities, Kang said.

Hopefully this is successful and will relegate HIV/AIDS to the history books.

Last edited:

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000
so why does a canadian researcher in canada need the FDA in the US to approve the test in canada?

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
so why does a canadian researcher in canada need the FDA in the US to approve the test in canada?

"Lacking their own drug approval and testing organization, Canada has relied on the US FDA to test and approve drugs for use in Canada since 1908. "

Jan 25, 2011
"Lacking their own drug approval and testing organization, Canada has relied on the US FDA to test and approve drugs for use in Canada since 1908. "

Yawn

http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/dhp-mps/prodpharma/activit/fs-fi/reviewfs_examenfd-eng.php

Drugs are authorized for sale in Canada once they have successfully gone through the drug review process. This process is the means by which a drug application is reviewed by scientists in the Therapeutic Products Directorate (TPD) of Health Canada, and on occasion, outside experts, to assess the safety, efficacy and quality of a drug.

Throughout the process, the safety and well-being of Canadians is the paramount concern.

Jan 25, 2011
Last edited:

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
What will be the next big gay disease?

We think of it that way because the first cases of AIDS in this country were among gay men, but it's really a heterosexual affliction, too, particularly in Africa and South Asia, where the vast majority of cases occur.

PeshakJang

Platinum Member
Mar 17, 2010
And if successful, we will increase the poverty and famine of Africa a hundred times, so that people I'm the west can continue having high-risk sex.

Why do gay men hate black people?

Jan 25, 2011
Trolling

The first phrase may have some merit

It may but it could also be argued that HIV/AIDS is contributing to the poverty issues in Africa.

You have the obvious health care cost implications but you also have to consider the impact to families when income earners are afflicted and die as a result. Families may end up without income earners, children will abandon schooling to attempt to assist the family with finances and you also have situations where other family members will bring in additional dependent(s) due to the passing of a parent/parents.

This is all actually well documented in Africa.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
And if successful, we will increase the poverty and famine of Africa a hundred times, so that people I'm the west can continue having high-risk sex.

Why do gay men hate black people?

Using your argument we should bring back small pox. That would cut down on all those people using up your precious resources.

PeshakJang

Platinum Member
Mar 17, 2010
Using your argument we should bring back small pox. That would cut down on all those people using up your precious resources.

Not using my resources. I'm just pointing out the fact that more people in Africa = more suffering in Africa. Either they die from AIDS or they die from starvation and war. Reality isn't always as cozy as people want to think.

Ergo, gay democrats are racists.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Not using my resources. I'm just pointing out the fact that more people in Africa = more suffering in Africa. Either they die from AIDS or they die from starvation and war. Reality isn't always as cozy as people want to think.

Ergo, gay democrats are racists.

This is so dumb that it barely deserves a response, but ah well.

You are in effect claiming there is a linear or better relationship between AIDS victims and deaths from starvation and/or war. Ie: that each person saved from AIDS will be replaced by one or more deaths by starvation or war, this being the only situation in which allowing AIDS to continue to kill people would be preferable. This is an extraordinary claim, and so I am very interested to see where you got this information. Please provide sources.

Understanding reality is sometimes a lot harder than people on the internet think.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
The response to the 9/11 attacks was pointless. New York is overcrowded anyway. D:

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011
This is a great thing, and I hope it is successful AND cheap. Or that some of those horrible 0.01%ers and corps help fund it like they do for many drugs for the poor nations.

AIDS is causing children to live without parents. In very poor nations, this means they have to raise themselves on the streets. This means they must steal to survive. They are also prime candidates for extremists to turn into new extremists.

From a moral standpoint, this is a good thing due to the suffering it can remove. From a selfish standpoint, this will help reduce extremism. It is a win no matter how you look at it.