Research on bicycle saddles and sexual health comes of age in The Journal of Sexual Medicine

IGBT

Lifer
Jul 16, 2001
Text

These three peer-reviewed articles research the pathophysiology of the erectile dysfunction (ED) associated with bicycling. They together report that the high pressures in the perineum while straddling a saddle compress and temporarily occlude penile blood flow. They also hypothesized that the lining vessels of the compressed arteries become damaged, thus leading to potential permanent artery blockage.

However, not all men who ride bicycles will develop erectile dysfunction. One past study suggested that sexual health consequences adversely affect 5% of riders (based on survey data that would therefore include 1,000,000 riding men with ED).

djheater

Lifer
Mar 19, 2001
So, we've just spotted a HUGE market for healthfully designed saddles... Come on engineers, lets start a company and get 'er done.

iamwiz82

Lifer
Jan 10, 2001
Originally posted by: djheater
So, we've just spotted a HUGE market for healthfully designed saddles... Come on engineers, lets start a company and get 'er done.

Crotchless seats, interesting.

CRXican

Diamond Member
Jun 9, 2004
the chode is certainly not happy, I can feel it when I ride, or used to

BMX bike means more standing while pedaling anyway

Fausto

Elite Member
Nov 29, 2000
Uh...they started making saddle with this in mind years ago.

djheater

Lifer
Mar 19, 2001
Originally posted by: Fausto
Uh...they started making saddle with this in mind years ago.

:(

Fausto

Elite Member
Nov 29, 2000
Honestly, if you bike fits properly and you have a good saddle, this isn't much of an issue. If anything, being a fat sedentary blob is probably worse for your dick than doing a lot of cycling. ;)

IGBT

Lifer
Jul 16, 2001
..I have one of those oversized gel seats. Kinda like sitting on a jello bag. Really absorbs shock and bumps in the road.