[Requesting advice] Tiny device for notebook purposes

stateofmind

Aug 24, 2012
www.glj.io
Hi

I'm looking for a device for solely note taking, but with more security (encrypted and requiring login)
Don't want a laptop, but something small, reliable, to save some sensitive data (which is currently on my pc) without it being able to connect to the web or be easily hacked
It doesn't have to have an IPS display, high resolution and such. Not a tablet. Just high quality one-purpose short note taking machine, that can do that only purpose well

It probably has a name, but I don't know it

Thank you very much in advance!

XavierMace

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2013
Tablet is the correct term for what you're looking for. You can generally break devices down into one of the following categories:

1) Computer replacement devices like iPad's and such.
2) Drawing tablets like Wacom's Intuos.
3) Paper replacement devices like the reMarkable.
4) Specialized single purpose devices, like Signature pads.

A paper replacement device would be the closest to what you seem to be looking for as far as having a single purpose goes. But I'm not aware of any ones with encryption, and they're generally $600+ which seems like a lot just for taking some short notes. Drawing tablets don't necessarily make great note taking devices and I'm not aware of any of those supporting encryption either. They're at least cheaper though. Your standard computer replacement device might not make the greatest note taking device, but they do support encryption, they do have login screens, and affordable models are available. Most of the special purpose devices are peripherals that require them to be connected to a normal PC to use.

Mike64

Platinum Member
Apr 22, 2011
solely note taking, but with more security [...] without it being able to connect to the web [...] Don't want a laptop [...] Not a tablet.
I think then what you really want is a trustworthy, 90-year old stenographer who's never used a computer and is afraid of the Internet.:D Ideally one that uses a very uncommon, atypical shorthand method...;) She probably wouldn't be "tiny" though, and it would be rude to refer to a human being as a "device".<lol>

But seriously, what in Steve Jobs' name are you talking about? Assuming you aren't actually talking about a voice recorder;), and further assuming that you don't want to lug around a NUC, and that "no tablet" also means no "phablet"... not wanting "a laptop" or a "tablet" pretty much knocks you totally out of the electronic device ballpark, doesn't it? I think we can take it that this fantasy device of yours has some sort of video display, a computing-type processor, and some sort of internal data storage. Does it also have a keyboard? Or a touch screen? Both? Should you be able to transfer your "notes" from it to an(other) electronic device? Do you care how it does that?

Last edited:

corkyg

Elite Member | Peripherals
Super Moderator
Mar 4, 2000
If no tablet, then maybe a high level smart phone?

stateofmind

Aug 24, 2012
www.glj.io
Tablet is the correct term for what you're looking for. You can generally break devices down into one of the following categories:

1) Computer replacement devices like iPad's and such.
2) Drawing tablets like Wacom's Intuos.
3) Paper replacement devices like the reMarkable.
4) Specialized single purpose devices, like Signature pads.

A paper replacement device would be the closest to what you seem to be looking for as far as having a single purpose goes. But I'm not aware of any ones with encryption, and they're generally $600+ which seems like a lot just for taking some short notes. Drawing tablets don't necessarily make great note taking devices and I'm not aware of any of those supporting encryption either. They're at least cheaper though. Your standard computer replacement device might not make the greatest note taking device, but they do support encryption, they do have login screens, and affordable models are available. Most of the special purpose devices are peripherals that require them to be connected to a normal PC to use.

Thanks man

I understand. Perhaps I'd go with a small laptop. I just hoped for something a lot more reliable, small, and secure.
I think about a device that looks like the old handheld (digital) dictionary

Thanks anyway, I appreciate your effort!!

stateofmind

Aug 24, 2012
www.glj.io
I think then what you really want is a trustworthy, 90-year old stenographer who's never used a computer and is afraid of the Internet.:D Ideally one that uses a very uncommon, atypical shorthand method...;) She probably wouldn't be "tiny" though, and it would be rude to refer to a human being as a "device".<lol>

But seriously, what in Steve Jobs' name are you talking about? Assuming you aren't actually talking about a voice recorder;), and further assuming that you don't want to lug around a NUC, and that "no tablet" also means no "phablet"... not wanting "a laptop" or a "tablet" pretty much knocks you totally out of the electronic device ballpark, doesn't it? I think we can take it that this fantasy device of yours has some sort of video display, a computing-type processor, and some sort of internal data storage. Does it also have a keyboard? Or a touch screen? Both? Should you be able to transfer your "notes" from it to an(other) electronic device? Do you care how it does that?

Don't get so mad.
It's not about the wording, it's about the functionality. A keyboard, AC power-in hole and a two color energy efficient display. That's all. I want to keep some passwords not on my pc or any pc that can connect to the internet and I want it to be reliable. old cheap "smartphones" and "laptops" won't do in this regard.

It's like writing my passwords on a paper, only with much more security

corkyg

Elite Member | Peripherals
Super Moderator
Mar 4, 2000
Not thinking of old cheap smartphones, but new and rather expensive convergent smartphones.

Kartajan

Golden Member
Feb 26, 2001
I take it that your trust level precludes the use of something like LastPass, which I find to be a pretty safe way to keep passwords....

Mike64

Platinum Member
Apr 22, 2011
I guess the humor flew right past you despite the arguably excessive number of smileys? I wasn't mad, just totally confused, and really, I still am. I've been around for a while and my memory's pretty good, but I can't remember the last time I even heard of an electronic computing "device" with a monochrome display and, I assume more or less full, keyboard...

But since at least one person in the thread seems to be able to read your mind if not necessarily your "wording", I'll just leave it to y'all...;)

Last edited: