Intel Pentium G2020
ASRock H61MV-ITX
8gb of Ram
Case Coolmaster Elite 120 Adv
PS: SeaSonic SS-300ET Bronze 300W
WD AV-GP WD20EURX 2TB (to be added)

Will be adding a Ceton Infinitv-4 card to the box

Now the questions:

1. Will this configuration work fairly well as a htpc, handling 4 streams?
2. What if any changes should I make?

Jim

Charlie98

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2011
I think it will work fine...

The only thing I might change would be your choice of HDD... if it's going to have the OS on it, I would go with a standard 7200RPM drive like a WD Red or Blue, or a Seagate Barracuda.

What kind of OS are you running, and what do you plan to use for a HTPC front end?

EDIT: The InfiniTV 6 (not your card, the next one up...) recommends a 7200RPM HDD to be able to record live TV. I don't know if the 4 needs that, it doesn't say in the NE specs... but something to think about.

Last edited:

jdstern

Dec 15, 2009
I was going to use windows 7 media center to front end it, as Ceton seems to recommend that, and this is my first foray into htpc.

Jim

Charlie98

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2011
I use W7/WMC as well. There is a snap in called Media Browser that I actually use to stream my movies, I prefer it to the jumbled mess that WMC uses to list movies. It operates out of WMC and works very well. With WMC, you can use a $20 remote to move around in WMC.

There isn't really anything super-duper about an HTPC, it just depends on how you wish it to stream. You have plenty of processor and RAM.

I don't know how many movies you plan to store on your HDD, my primary 2TB is over 3/4 full and has just over 600 movies, etc. If you have a bunch of stuff you may want to consider a 3TB drive.

Charlie98

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2011
There is a sticky at the top of the HTPC section... Assassin's Guide to HTPC. It's free now, and well worth a look. Much of my setup works because of that guide.