Republicons get their way on this one.

Bowfinger

Lifer
Nov 17, 2002
One can only speculate as to whether that's her real motivation, or if there's something else behind the scenes. If she is sincere, however, it only reinforces that she would be a good choice. Washington has far, far too few people who are willing to subordinate their personal ambitions to the best interests of the country.

Farang

Lifer
Jul 7, 2003
I wasn't too thrilled with her, I think a lot of Democrats felt the same way. They would've gone to bat but I don't think anyone saw the purpose. Kerry is really the obvious choice.

Shortly after the election, Obama had dinner with Deval Patrick. I imagine he was either given a choice between multiple positions or they settled on him running for Kerry's senate seat. He'd easily beat Scott Brown.

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
I can remember a thread to the effect, if the GOP discredited Susan Rice for Sec of State, Senator erry of Massachusetts would be next in line for Sec of State. And the GOP could then win Kerry's Senate seat he would have to resign.

Does not now look like a possibility as Obama may next nominate ex Senator Hagel for Sec of State instead.

As the GOP says, curses, foiled again. In the proud tradition of Wile E, Coyare and Snidely Whiplash.

As edit in. http://news.yahoo.com/meet-chuck-hagel-likely-secretary-defense-191347660.htm

As I also maintain, ex-Senators like Richard Lugar and John Warner would also be fine choices for Sec of State, even though they are now probably too old. As, IMHO, when John McCain and Lindsey Graham, could not now collectively amount to a pimple on the ass of those three past American GOP Senators like Hagel, Lugar, and Warner, and are now the best the current Senate GOP has to offer, its a sad sad sad day for the GOP.

Last edited:

Farang

Lifer
Jul 7, 2003
I can remember a thread to the effect, if the GOP discredited Susan Rice for Sec of State, Senator Kerry of Massachusetts would be next in line for Sec of State. And the GOP could then win Kerry's Senate seat he would have to resign.

Does not now look like a possibility as Obama may next nominate ex Senator Hagel for Sec of State instead.

As the GOP says, curses, foiled again. In the proud tradition of Wile E, Coyare and Snidely Whiplash,

The risk of losing the seat to Brown is really overstated. He lost by 7.4 points.

In fact it might be a smart move for Obama to allow him to run in a special election. Brown would be on the national stage, as a moderate Republican, ceding a bunch of liberal issues to win in Massachusetts. He would make Republicans in Washington seem more extreme, relative to the positions he is taking.

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
Kerry doesn't run again until 2015. I don't know if Mass. has a special election or if his replacement gets to serve out his term.
If the replacement gets to serve out the term it gives a huge advantage to whoever gets appointed.
If there is a new election very quickly it also is good for the Dems since it comes shortly after Brown got trounced and the Republican party is still suffering from Romneys' defeat and the expected huge win by Obama over the fiscal cliffl.

monovillage

Diamond Member
Jul 3, 2008
Did anyone get the license number of the bus that Obama threw her under?

Hillary is too smart to lie to cover up for him and ruin her 2016 chances.

bozack

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2000
Kerry doesn't run again until 2015. I don't know if Mass. has a special election or if his replacement gets to serve out his term.
If the replacement gets to serve out the term it gives a huge advantage to whoever gets appointed.
If there is a new election very quickly it also is good for the Dems since it comes shortly after Brown got trounced and the Republican party is still suffering from Romneys' defeat and the expected huge win by Obama over the fiscal cliffl.

I don't think it will be Kerry though I do feel he is a much better choice than Rice, the reality is if it was Kerry there is a good chance Brown could still take it in the special electon...Dems really don't have anyone else here they can run, they wouldn't have the time necessary to build up a candidate like they did with Warren and all the money they threw at that, and they are fresh out of candidates with the last name Kennedy.

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
I give this op the advantage. At least this thread title has the correct label.
" Republicons get their way on this one" could mean anything. Or nothing.
If you are starting a thread on some subject, at least make that clear up front.

So as far as correcting the reposting gastapo, this thread is the accuratly titled thread.

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
I don't think it will be Kerry though I do feel he is a much better choice than Rice, the reality is if it was Kerry there is a good chance Brown could still take it in the special electon...Dems really don't have anyone else here they can run, they wouldn't have the time necessary to build up a candidate like they did with Warren and all the money they threw at that, and they are fresh out of candidates with the last name Kennedy.

Not true. There are several well known democrats that could run.
At least well known to the people of that state.
MSNBC Lawrence O'Donnell covered this on his show tonight.
And there is this trend with these special elections for voters to maintain that vacant seat under the same party, regardless.

bozack

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2000
Not true. There are several well known democrats that could run.
At least well known to the people of that state.
MSNBC Lawrence O'Donnell covered this on his show tonight.
And there is this trend with these special elections for voters to maintain that vacant seat under the same party, regardless.

O'Donnell is to put it plainly is a fucktard...really an embarrassment to anyone from this state....I remember that laughable bit when he started calling out Romney's kid...he is a partisan joke, the lefts version of Hannity only without the ratings.

I live here and I can't think of anyone they could run...least anyone that people would care about.

And also I'd point to Brown getting the seat from Kennedy, might have been an anomaly but still he is "known" here, and many don't think of him as a right winger....the only reason IMHO Warren won was because of the union support and the time/money the Dems put towards getting her out there...but then again I don't think they are going to go with Kerry as I don't think Obama wants to risk losing the seat to Brown even if remote.

monovillage

Diamond Member
Jul 3, 2008
Ausm is just crying his eyes out cause Rice backed down and venting his frustration....

Rice didn't back down, Obama tossed her under the bus. Does anyone really think that Rice volunteered not to take the job of Secretary of State and basically end her political career?

Really?

Aug 14, 2001
Rice didn't back down, Obama tossed her under the bus. Does anyone really think that Rice volunteered not to take the job of Secretary of State and basically end her political career?

Really?

Republican opposition makes a person stronger. Expect big things from Rice, just like Elizabeth Warren who was similarly attacked by the GOP.

People hate Republicans. If Republicans hate you, then it makes you more appealing because it means that you are more legitimate.

The GOP is probably the least favorite thing in the entire country right now.

bozack

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2000

Really?

She backed out amidst political pressure, meaning she wasn't kicked out....either way she is no longer in the running.