Republicans trying to set up Rosenstein for Trump to fire

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Republicans have been demanding documents from the DOJ connected with the investigation so they can leak information to Trump thereby helping his defense. Rosenstein has either resisted so far or the staff has redacted parts of documents provided because it contains sensitive information. To counter that Republicans are threatening to impeach Rosenstein. If he is removed Trump can put a stooge in his place and Mueller will either be fired, his budget cut way down hamstringing the probe. Stooge could also bury the pending report.

https://www.vox.com/2018/6/28/17504514/house-republicans-document-war-rosenstein-nunes-trump-mueller

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000
For sake of argument let's say everything you posted is true, what exactly do you propose to do about it? Rosenstein as a political appointee could be fired without recourse by Trump, or impeached if Congress had the needed votes which I highly doubt they do. I guess people could complain or protest about those if they happened (and that's a big if) but it's not like either is illegal. And at this point this is all hypothetical anyway.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
For sake of argument let's say everything you posted is true, what exactly do you propose to do about it? Rosenstein as a political appointee could be fired without recourse by Trump, or impeached if Congress had the needed votes which I highly doubt they do. I guess people could complain or protest about those if they happened (and that's a big if) but it's not like either is illegal. And at this point this is all hypothetical anyway.

Depending on why Trump fires Rosenstein it could definitely be a crime. Just because you have the authority to take an action does not mean it is not a crime for you to do so. Most actions that constitute obstruction of justice would be otherwise legal if not intended to...you know... obstruct justice.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
That "hearing" yesterday with Rosenstein and Wray was a fucking disgrace to our nation. You have federally elected officials virtually foaming at the mouth and shouting over a person trying to give a response to their question. Then when they can't even get an answer out are shouted at again for not answering because they are cut off.

Jim Jordan is walking sack of shit and the people that voted for him should be ashamed of his behavior.

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000
Depending on why Trump fires Rosenstein it could definitely be a crime. Just because you have the authority to take an action does not mean it is not a crime for you to do so. Most actions that constitute obstruction of justice would be otherwise legal if not intended to...you know... obstruct justice.

I highly doubt any court would find the firing of a political appointee to be obstruction since if you make them effectively un-fireable then they're no longer effectively political appointees serving at the pleasure of the President. It's probably extremely bad politics for Trump to fire him and might be referenced in actions against him by Congress (censure or impeachment) but I can't see any court finding it to be a crime.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
I highly doubt any court would find the firing of a political appointee to be obstruction since if you make them effectively un-fireable then they're no longer effectively political appointees serving at the pleasure of the President.

I don’t doubt they would find that at all. Appointees wouldn’t be un-fireable, they are just un-fireable in the service of criminally obstructing an investigation.

Similarly, employees of a business serve at the pleasure of the owner. If the owner fires them in order to obstruct an investigation however, that is a crime.

It's probably extremely bad politics for Trump to fire him and might be referenced in actions against him by Congress (censure or impeachment) but I can't see any court finding it to be a crime.

Had Nixon not been pardoned he likely would have gone to prison for obstruction of justice, in part for firing Archibald Cox.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
I don’t doubt they would find that at all. Appointees wouldn’t be un-fireable, they are just un-fireable in the service of criminally obstructing an investigation.

Similarly, employees of a business serve at the pleasure of the owner. If the owner fires them in order to obstruct an investigation however, that is a crime.

Had Nixon not been pardoned he likely would have gone to prison for obstruction of justice, in part for firing Archibald Cox.
Especially if you admit in pubic I fired him to stop Russian investigation.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Especially if you admit in pubic I fired him to stop Russian investigation.

Yes, usually the primary obstacle to an obstruction of justice case is establishing the corrupt motive behind a person’s actions. It’s a lot easier when the person just comes out and says ‘I obstructed justice’.

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005
That "hearing" yesterday with Rosenstein and Wray was a fucking disgrace to our nation. You have federally elected officials virtually foaming at the mouth and shouting over a person trying to give a response to their question. Then when they can't even get an answer out are shouted at again for not answering because they are cut off.

Jim Jordan is walking sack of shit and the people that voted for him should be ashamed of his behavior.
https://twitter.com/twitter/statuses/1012357679447265281

Here's an example of the ass in action...

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
There's nothing to be done if Rosenstein is fired because Boss Tweed owns the cops, AKA, the DOJ at that point.

Interesting poll the other day. 31% see a civil war on the horizon. Just sayin'. I suppose people can always vacation on the steps of the Senate like a bunch of women (bless them) the other day, like x1000, if it came to it.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
There's nothing to be done if Rosenstein is fired because Boss Tweed owns the cops, AKA, the DOJ at that point.

Interesting poll the other day. 31% see a civil war on the horizon. Just sayin'. I suppose people can always vacation on the steps of the Senate like a bunch of women (bless them) the other day, like x1000, if it came to it.

I don't think we'll have a civil war. We'll have a mass talent flight before it comes to that. Some country - Canada, France, Germany....someone is going to offer amnesty and an open border to our most talented and we will see a mass exodus of STEM & healthcare based careers. Then we'll slowly crumble from within on poor infrastructure and lack of development.

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
I don't think we'll have a civil war. We'll have a mass talent flight before it comes to that. Some country - Canada, France, Germany....someone is going to offer amnesty and an open border to our most talented and we will see a mass exodus of STEM & healthcare based careers. Then we'll slowly crumble from within on poor infrastructure and lack of development.

Sure that happens, but that accounts for a small percentage of people. The war happens after that.
But honestly I think that the only way a civil war happens is the same way it did last time, some states decide that they are no longer represented by our government and try to secede from the union. I just don't think that will happen. I think instead we will start to see assassination used as a political tool. The next civil war will be a covert one held mostly by proxy.

emperus

Diamond Member
Apr 6, 2012

How did Jim Jordan ever get elected. Unless he's suddenly lost his mind, it reflects more on his district than him. He's a conspiratorial dumb ass and that is being polite.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
Sure that happens, but that accounts for a small percentage of people. The war happens after that.
But honestly I think that the only way a civil war happens is the same way it did last time, some states decide that they are no longer represented by our government and try to secede from the union. I just don't think that will happen. I think instead we will start to see assassination used as a political tool. The next civil war will be a covert one held mostly by proxy.

There's a shakeup coming, I just have faith that we can do it democratically.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
How did Jim Jordan ever get elected. Unless he's suddenly lost his mind, it reflects more on his district than him. He's a conspiratorial dumb ass and that is being polite.

He's a local legend with a pretty prolific college wrestling career. Small towns clutch to their celebrities. Doubly so when he comes across as a tough guy standing up for them.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
District gerrymandered to promote a race to the right. He's not only a member of the Freedom Caucus, he's also the Chair.

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
There's a shakeup coming, I just have faith that we can do it democratically.

I want to agree with you, but I also understand that all it will take is one person doing something monumentally stupid, and it feels like we have all the pieces in place for monumentally stupid.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
This guy needs to be drug tested. In all his interviews he talks 100 MPH and doesn't take a breath.

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
I guess Jordan doesn't care how ridiculous he looks theatrically grilling Rosenstein the way he did. I really expected to see Jordan start foaming at the mouth and sweating the way he overplayed his role in that little skit of his.

Instead of looking like the sharp witted Perry Mason personified that I think he was going for, he ended up looking like Jerry Lewis trying really hard to be serious in a hilarious kind of way.

What a ham.

*apologies to Mr. Lewis, of course

BUTCH1

Lifer
Jul 15, 2000

Jesus Jordan's a F-ing tool, at least we got to see him humiliate himself 210% with asking about "subpoena a phone call" and it was nice to see RR stick to his guns, if he gets fired/removed we are headed for dark days in this country.