Republicans suddenly endorse "Souls to the Polls" as long as it's the white...right people

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008
And if it was a national paid holiday it would solve all these issues for everyone.

Naw. Bad idea. Less people would vote.
Being a holiday, and a paid holiday (or not), people would leave town for the day to go have fun. A little one day midweek getaway vs wasting the time by sticking around town to vote for some schmuck running for office, with regretting that vote down the road. And people wouldn't see it as a voting holiday, people would see it as VACATION TIME!!! Yee haw.

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
This is it? This is what came out of your mind as a retort? Do you giggle when you hear the word "vagina"?

This is the sort of thing that comes to mind when I mention that there are a lot of people to stupid to vote.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
Being a holiday, and a paid holiday (or not), people would leave town for the day to go have fun. A little one day midweek getaway vs wasting the time by sticking around town to vote for some schmuck running for office, with regretting that vote down the road. And people wouldn't see it as a voting holiday, people would see it as VACATION TIME!!! Yee haw.

I don't think that argument makes sense. The kind of person who would take it as a vacation day, isn't the kind who would be voting anyway, certainly not if it were a normal work-day. Whereas there _would_ be some who were unable to afford time off work who would vote if it were a paid holiday.

However, I think the argument against making it a paid day off is that it would unavoidably be discriminatory, as it would be impossible to make it a day off for _everyone_, as some essential workers would have to stay at work - thus you would skew who got to vote. There have to be other ways to make it easier to vote that don't have that problem.

Reactions: dank69 and Pohemi

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
and having people work makes it easier to vote?

that's some of the most ass-backwards logic ever.

Reactions: Pohemi

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
I don't think that argument makes sense. The kind of person who would take it as a vacation day, isn't the kind who would be voting anyway, certainly not if it were a normal work-day. Whereas there _would_ be some who were unable to afford time off work who would vote if it were a paid holiday.

However, I think the argument against making it a paid day off is that it would unavoidably be discriminatory, as it would be impossible to make it a day off for _everyone_, as some essential workers would have to stay at work - thus you would skew who got to vote. There have to be other ways to make it easier to vote that don't have that problem.

Thinking about it, maybe making it obligatory for employers to give a few hours, maybe half-a-day's, leave to everyone on polling day would work better - then "essential workers" could get it as well with a bit of juggling of work shifts. It shouldn't be necessary to take an entire day to vote, assuming sufficient polling stations are provided.

Reactions: soulcougher73

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
I think the point is "how hypocritical to do this, while simultaneously trying to stop black people voting?".

If _all_ they did was try to mobilize their own voters, while allowing everyone else to do the same, I don't think there'd be any complaints.

Is this a simultaneous effort, or did they give up on stopping Sunday voting and instead embraced it?

A group of Republicans is working to spread Sunday voting hours throughout Georgia
Georgia’s voting law, Senate Bill 202, kept Sundays as optional voting days during three weeks of early voting. County election offices can decide whether to open voting locations on as many as two Sundays.

This topic says they are expanding Sunday voting. That is the information we are presented.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Is this a simultaneous effort, or did they give up on stopping Sunday voting and instead embraced it?

A group of Republicans is working to spread Sunday voting hours throughout Georgia
Georgia’s voting law, Senate Bill 202, kept Sundays as optional voting days during three weeks of early voting. County election offices can decide whether to open voting locations on as many as two Sundays.

This topic says they are expanding Sunday voting. That is the information we are presented.

We're not presented with much, but you should read the whole thing.

Here's some more

The rural voting drive, called "Patriotic Souls to the Polls," was launched Tuesday at the Georgia Capitol by Look Ahead America, a conservative voter mobilization group; Turning Point Faith, a conservative Christian organization, and three Republican state representatives.

Georgia's voting law, Senate Bill 202, kept Sundays as optional voting days during three weeks of early voting. County election offices can decide whether to open voting locations on as many as two Sundays.

"For too long, rural Christians have been disenfranchised in this state because progressive urban counties shave had the opportunity to vote on Sunday and engage in 'Souls to the Polls' operations," said Matt Braynard, executive director for Look Ahead America.

Sunday voting is already an option.

Their motivation is stated.

I'm guessing that Sunday was church day, the day of rest, so they chose not to do it. But since those dirty liberals chose to, and the state has become purple, they want to abandon their classic conservative convictions and open the polls on Sundays. They must hate Jesus and America now.

I like how they claim rural Christians are disenfranchised, lol. You chose the option for no Sundays 🤣

Last edited:

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
We're not presented with much, but you should read the whole thing.

Here's some more

The rural voting drive, called "Patriotic Souls to the Polls," was launched Tuesday at the Georgia Capitol by Look Ahead America, a conservative voter mobilization group; Turning Point Faith, a conservative Christian organization, and three Republican state representatives.

Georgia's voting law, Senate Bill 202, kept Sundays as optional voting days during three weeks of early voting. County election offices can decide whether to open voting locations on as many as two Sundays.

"For too long, rural Christians have been disenfranchised in this state because progressive urban counties shave had the opportunity to vote on Sunday and engage in 'Souls to the Polls' operations," said Matt Braynard, executive director for Look Ahead America.

Sunday voting is already an option.

Their motivation is stated.

I'm guessing that Sunday was church day, the day of rest, so they chose not to do it. But since those dirty liberals chose to, and the state has become purple, they want to abandon their classic conservative convictions and open the polls on Sundays. They must hate Jesus and America now.

I like how they claim rural Christians are disenfranchised, lol. You chose the option for no Sundays 🤣
Also back to the narrative that only rural Christians are “patriotic”.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
This is it? This is what came out of your mind as a retort? Do you giggle when you hear the word "vagina"?

This is the sort of thing that comes to mind when I mention that there are a lot of people to stupid to vote.
Indeed. Quality of the voote and all that.

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999

We're supposed to assume that blacks are excluded because they aren't specifically targeted, and because it's republican's doing it. The assumption of racism is necessary for the assumption of guilt.
It could be the correct conclusion, but there isn't any evidence of it offered.

pauldun170

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2011

There are 2 parts
Sundays as optional voting days during three weeks of early voting.
County election offices can decide whether to open voting locations on as many as two Sundays.

The key difference between Republican strategy and Democratic strategy is the second part.
A year ago

People are suspicious and the natural assumption is that Republicans will push Sunday voting and enable voting access in "specific area with a certain racial demographic" and still continue to look for reasons for closure and consolidation of sites in counties with significant minority presence.

Now it can be said "Well they proposed closing sites in both white rural areas and black areas!!".
Allegedly, closing sites in white rural areas would have less impact than in black neighborhoods. (notice I did not say black rural areas)

Remember, Democrat policy for decades is to push full participation.
Republicans and the southern democrat of old who switched parties in the 60's and 70s? Not so fucking much.

The tactics used are designed to obfuscate the intent by throwing you a few bones here and there to shape the argument.
Never take this stuff at face value.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
White people want to get out the vote, and your response is "how dare they!?"
Is that what this topic is?
Are you normally this ignorant or did you just stay at a Holiday Inn Express?

Why did Republicans after the 2013 Shelby case spend so much effort trying to kill Sunday voting??? That's the predicate for this thread.

But I suspect you already knew that.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Since conservative voters are very good at staying in power with an unpopular minority and that ability is rooted in racism, liberals simply need to apply the same principles. Everywhere liberals hold power they need to keep conservative whites away from the polls.
But I thought we've been told racism is #bothsides.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
Maybe you could campaign white conservatives, that if they disagree with ie. racist gerrymandering and suppression , they could opt to stay home this election, as a solidarity vote with your disenfranchised brothers and sisters and send a message to the establishment that enough is enough.
I'd be surprised if it were 100% ineffective.

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
We're supposed to assume that blacks are excluded because they aren't specifically targeted, and because it's republican's doing it. The assumption of racism is necessary for the assumption of guilt.

Go look at how many polling locations are opened per 1000 people in DeKalb, Fulton or Gwinnett counties, vs how many polling places are open for rural Georgians—as well as average wait times on Election Day.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
I'll re-ask you the same question. Since the 2013 Shelby case why have Republicans across the country try to kill Sunday voting?

"I don't know" isn't an acceptable answer. Use your common sense.

• Haha
Reactions: ch33zw1z

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
But I thought we've been told racism is #bothsides.
Conservatives claim both sides because they project their own racism on others.Because they use that ability to scare themselves to death they will abandon democracy to harm others just so they don’t feel threatened, they need to see there is a difference between projecting their fear and having that threat be real. Everything they do they do because the left cries and moans and rages but delivers no consequence. Look at that fuck, Merrick Garland.

America burns while Garland diddles. Meanwhile the working class right shuts down the highways. Why can anybody move in Washington DC. Where are the millions of progressives marching there and shutting it down? Probably at home kicking their dogs.

The right is committed and serious about destroying the left.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Be a lot better to go to universal, automatic mail voting.

I starting voting by mail in 2020, it's great, every election I get my ballot 4 weeks early, I can take my time and research everything on it, and I never miss an election. And it takes forever to vote at my voting place because the boundaries haven't changed in 20 years, but the population has gone up 5x.
Here in Washington state, we even get a pamphlet in the mail with information about each item on the ballot (with "proponents say" and "opponents say" kind of thing), and information on each candidate (submitted by the candidate). So you still have time to do research, but there's already a bounty of data that just lands in your mailbox. So while I've already been voting by mail since 2004, getting this was a nice bonus after I moved here.

• Love
Reactions: hal2kilo and Zorba