Republicans suddenly endorse "Souls to the Polls" as long as it's the white...right people

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Nov 29, 2006
This sounds like something Putin would pull off

The GOP is just following Putin's playbook. Prey on unfounded fears they fed their gullible base and restrict voting.

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
Thinking about it, maybe making it obligatory for employers to give a few hours, maybe half-a-day's, leave to everyone on polling day would work better - then "essential workers" could get it as well with a bit of juggling of work shifts. It shouldn't be necessary to take an entire day to vote, assuming sufficient polling stations are provided.
I don't think you will ever get that passed, not only would practically every big businesses across the spectrum be against it, but it would be a pain in the ass to implement.

The real solution is hinted at in your message, it should not take hours to vote. We spend billions on a single aircraft, and then act like we are being responsible by saving a few thousand by closing polling stations.

Here is my solution. First universal mail in ballots. Every registered voter gets a ballot mailed to them, and they can fill it out and mail it back. For those that don't get their ballot, or don't want to use a mail in ballot have 24/7 polling locations at every post office, library, and DMV open for 2 weeks before election day. It could be as simple as a single person and a single machine, because by spreading it out over enough locations and enough time you would get rid of most of the hassle.

We badly need to take the politics out of the election setup. Voting should be easy and convenient.

Meghan54

Lifer
Oct 18, 2009
I don't think you will ever get that passed, not only would practically every big businesses across the spectrum be against it, but it would be a pain in the ass to implement.

The real solution is hinted at in your message, it should not take hours to vote. We spend billions on a single aircraft, and then act like we are being responsible by saving a few thousand by closing polling stations.

Here is my solution. First universal mail in ballots. Every registered voter gets a ballot mailed to them, and they can fill it out and mail it back. For those that don't get their ballot, or don't want to use a mail in ballot have 24/7 polling locations at every post office, library, and DMV open for 2 weeks before election day. It could be as simple as a single person and a single machine, because by spreading it out over enough locations and enough time you would get rid of most of the hassle.

We badly need to take the politics out of the election setup. Voting should be easy and convenient.

Nice sentiment. Too bad it flies in the face of conservatives believing that only a select few should be able to vote…certainly not everyone. Just ask Greenman…he’ll ass-plain it for you.

Reactions: hal2kilo

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002

Heard an interesting quote a week ago...

We figured out how to fire a missile 500 miles away sent it through an open window without parting the curtains just to kill a terrorist yet we can't figure out how to easily vote.

Reactions: hal2kilo

dainthomas

Lifer
Dec 7, 2004

Obligatory Oregon brag here: I voted at my kitchen table last time sipping a Pelican Cream Ale and listening to David Bowie on the turntable.

Meghan54

Lifer
Oct 18, 2009
Heard an interesting quote a week ago...

We figured out how to fire a missile 500 miles away sent it through an open window without parting the curtains just to kill a terrorist yet we can't figure out how to easily vote.

Of course it'd be quite easy to "figure out" how to easily vote. Sadly, one political party in particular seems hell bent on trying to exclude everyone but geriatric white land owners as voters.

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
Obligatory Oregon brag here: I voted at my kitchen table last time sipping a Pelican Cream Ale and listening to David Bowie on the turntable.
Drinking and voting is a sin against America. You allowed the demon alcohol to influence your vote. This is another reason why all forms of voting that don’t involve standing in a line on a single day when the sale of alcohol is banned so voters can soberly make the most important of decisions must be banned.

some fake Christian state legislator in the South

Roger Wilco

Diamond Member
Mar 20, 2017
Good luck getting some of those souls to the polls.

"Only after the vaccines became widely available, in early 2021 — and liberals were much more willing to get shots than conservatives — did Covid become a disproportionately Republican illness. By the summer of 2021, the gap was soaring:"

"As the chart makes clear, the toll has been even worse in counties where Trump won by a landslide than in counties that he won narrowly.

This phenomenon is an example of how the country’s political polarization has warped people’s thinking, even when their personal safety is at stake. It is a tragedy — and a preventable one, too."

mect

Platinum Member
Jan 5, 2004
Good luck getting some of those souls to the polls.

"Only after the vaccines became widely available, in early 2021 — and liberals were much more willing to get shots than conservatives — did Covid become a disproportionately Republican illness. By the summer of 2021, the gap was soaring:"

"As the chart makes clear, the toll has been even worse in counties where Trump won by a landslide than in counties that he won narrowly.

This phenomenon is an example of how the country’s political polarization has warped people’s thinking, even when their personal safety is at stake. It is a tragedy — and a preventable one, too."

Republicans know how to do it. Just look at what they've been falsely accusing democrats of doing for years, and you'll know what their strategy is.