Republicans say new study belies Obama claim US has 2 percent of world oil

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011
Republican senators are accusing President Obama of pushing a "less-than-honest" claim about the scarcity of domestic oil, after a U.S. Geological Survey study showed the United States might actually hold a quarter of the world's untapped, undiscovered supply.
The president often uses a much different statistic in speeches.
He said Tuesday, as he has before, that "the problem is we use more than 20 percent of the world's oil and we only have 2 percent of the world's proven oil reserves."
"Even if we drilled every square inch of this country right now, we'd still have to rely disproportionately on other countries for their oil," Obama said, while pitching a plan to crack down on oil market speculators.
But a U.S. Geological Survey released Wednesday paints a seemingly different picture. The analysis showed the world outside of the U.S. holds 565 billion barrels of undiscovered conventional oil -- it was the first such study in 12 years. The study did not address U.S. resources, but a prior analysis by the Energy Information Administration pegged the country's supply at 198 billion barrels. That works out to 26 percent of the world supply.
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/201...aim-us-has-2-percent-world-oil/#ixzz1sXGnqCQO

So we use 20% of the world's oil and we have 26% of the world's supply. I have an idea, lets drill our OWN oil and stop sending money to nations which hate us.

Last edited by a moderator:

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
Republicans are less than honest when calling Obama "less than honest?" Shocking :D
Undiscovered oil is not proven oil reserves, dummies.

Jan 25, 2011
Did they also happen to mention how much of that estimate is unrecoverable with current technology, or would require higher oil prices to make it economically feasible to recover?

I'm going to guess not. Wouldn't want people forming informed opinions now would we?

Last edited:

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011
You know why it is undiscovered? The oil companies know they are not allow to recover the oil once they find it. Why throw good money after bad?

So, lets allow them to drill out the oil and they will quickly go out and find where it all is. Energy independence is just around the corner if the government would allow it.

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011
Republicans are less than honest when calling Obama "less than honest?" Shocking :D
Undiscovered oil is not proven oil reserves, dummies.

Remember, Obama said this:

"Even if we drilled every square inch of this country right now, we'd still have to rely disproportionately on other countries for their oil," Obama said

That is obviously not true. We have 6% more oil in our nation than we use. So he is not even close to being correct. We do not have to know where it is when Obama makes such statements...

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
You know why it is undiscovered? The oil companies know they are not allow to recover the oil once they find it. Why throw good money after bad?

So, lets allow them to drill out the oil and they will quickly go out and find where it all is. Energy independence is just around the corner if the government would allow it.

That's like saying a meth addict cooking his own meth has meth independence.

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011
That's like saying a meth addict cooking his own meth has meth independence.

It is understood by everyone who is at least semi-intelligent that energy independence means we are no longer relying on other nations for our energy needs.

lotus503

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2005

Rubbish it's undiscovered because they know the profit margin is horrible within the current market.

They don't want to spend 100 per barrel to extract as an example.

bfdd

Lifer
Feb 3, 2007
They're only "undiscovered" because they aren't allowed to do anything more outside of initial exploratory tests which don't really raise a ruckus. They don't allow full exploration for numerous reasons.

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011
I wonder why the Obamites are ignoring this obviously untrue statement by Obama, and pretending he never said it?

"Even if we drilled every square inch of this country right now, we'd still have to rely disproportionately on other countries for their oil," Obama said

Do you all now agree the thread title is completely accurate?

bfdd

Lifer
Feb 3, 2007
I wonder why the Obamites are ignoring this obviously untrue statement by Obama, and pretending he never said it?

Well we would use next to no oil in California if we weren't tied so tightly with the rest of the Union. We have so much goddamn natural gas here it really irks me that it's so expensive to get a NGV and that NGV pumps are so sparse.

lotus503

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2005

I think it's frothing rw loons, perception.

He was making an exaggerated claim. To prove a point, frothing rw loons, scurry.

I dislike Obama greatly, but think the idiocy from the right is disingenuous.

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011
I think it's frothing rw loons, perception.

He was making an exaggerated claim. To prove a point, frothing rw loons, scurry.

I dislike Obama greatly, but think the idiocy from the right is disingenuous.

So you disagree and say Obama did not say what he said and therefor the thread title is not correct?

Or do you agree that Obama said what he said and therefor the thread title is correct.

Which is it, you are being opaque.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Obama offered facts and the USGS offers maybe's, kinda, well sorta-kinda in a vague wishful thinking sort of way...

"untapped and undiscovered" covers a lot of territory, from oil currently too hard to extract to be commercially viable to the notion that there's much territory in the US that hasn't been gone over with a fine toothed comb by ambitious oilmen...

I live in a nation of idiots who buy a V10 crewcab pickup on a 7 year note as a daily driver when the price of gas dips & then squeal like piglets when the price goes back up, who fantasize that more drilling will bring down the price.

Not coincidentally, they believe in a lot of other really stupid stuff, too.

lotus503

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2005

In fact he is right, of you drilled every square inch for a numbers of years you would still need foreign oil.

This isn't Beverly hillbillies, where you poke a hole and the shit squirts out.

You drill and mine, have to process and extract, it would take years to actually see any significant oil.

lotus503

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2005
Obama offered facts and the USGS offers maybe's, kinda, well sorta-kinda in a vague wishful thinking sort of way...

"untapped and undiscovered" covers a lot of territory, from oil currently too hard to extract to be commercially viable to the notion that there's much territory in the US that hasn't been gone over with a fine toothed comb by ambitious oilmen...

I live in a nation of idiots who buy a V10 crewcab pickup on a 7 year note as a daily driver when the price of gas dips & then squeal like piglets when the price goes back up, who fantasize that more drilling will bring down the price.

Not coincidentally, they believe in a lot of other really stupid stuff, too.

Exactly Americans don't just want oil, they want cheap oil.

Newsflash the shit we have left over in this country is not cheap oil.

It's very expensive oil.

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011
In fact he is right, of you drilled every square inch for a numbers of years you would still need foreign oil.

This isn't Beverly hillbillies, where you poke a hole and the shit squirts out.

You drill and mine, have to process and extract, it would take years to actually see any significant oil.

So then the USGS is lying, according to you. Do you have anything to back up this powerful claim?

Remember they said we have 26% of the world's oil in the US, and the US only needs 20%, meaning we have 6% MORE than we need...which shows Obama to be completely and utterly wrong.

So please show this information you have which says the USGS is lying.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
It is understood by everyone who is at least semi-intelligent that energy independence means we are no longer relying on other nations for our energy needs.

Everyone who is at least semi intelligent knows that doesn't work. Oil is a global market. Price is set by global supply and demand. Oil companies aren't going to sell it to you any cheaper just because it's from the US and not Canada. So what you'll have is more privatized profits for oil companies, and socialized losses for the environment and public lands. Privatizing profits and socializing losses is what GOP is all about.

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011
Exactly Americans don't just want oil, they want cheap oil.

Newsflash the shit we have left over in this country is not cheap oil.

It's very expensive oil.

Obama did not say cheap oil. He very explicity said "Even if we drilled every square inch of this country right now, we'd still have to rely disproportionately on other countries for their oil."

I do not know why you feel the need to keep adding things to what he said and then pretending he actually said them.

lotus503

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2005
So then the USGS is lying, according to you. Do you have anything to back up this powerful claim?

Remember they said we have 26% of the world's oil in the US, and the US only needs 20%, meaning we have 6% MORE than we need...which shows Obama to be completely and utterly wrong.

I don't need to provide a source.

Any idiot with half a brain knows it takes years to actually get refined oil.

So technically Obama is spot on, drill every inch today and were still on foreign oil.

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011
Everyone who is at least semi intelligent knows that doesn't work. Oil is a global market. Price is set by global supply and demand. Oil companies aren't going to sell it to you any cheaper just because it's from the US and not Canada. So what you'll have is more privatized profits for oil companies, and socialized losses for the environment and public lands. Privatizing profits and socializing losses is what GOP is all about.

Why do you keep bringing up cheap? Obama never made that claim, so it is not part of this discussion.

Pretending he was talking about cheap oil when he was not is intellectually fraudulant.

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011
I don't need to provide a source.

Any idiot with half a brain knows it takes years to actually get refined oil.

So technically Obama is spot on, drill every inch today and were still on foreign oil.

So you are saying oil from other countries magically appears in the US with no transport time involved? See...I can do stupid things with time just like you.

At least we can easily tell you are an Obamite. You refuse to even admit he is wrong when the proof is put before you. You make him proud to be the one you worship.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006

Obama said proven reserves, so he is right, and those who are saying USGS contradicts him are lying.
Fox headline is "new study belies Obama claim US has 2 percent of world oil" that is misleading, since he clearly says proven reserves. Fox headline being misleading is shocking :) Of course, the likes of you keep falling for it, so why stop?
As far as undiscovered reserves, they are undiscovered, so they may not even be there. And if they are, they may not be economical to extract.
"This study does not take into account any other factors such as whether or not a company might find it financially prudent to explore or develop," he said of the USGS analysis.
You conveniently ignored that little tidbit.

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011
Obama said proven reserves, so he is right, and those who are saying USGS contradicts him are lying.

Read Obama's next line, the one I have repeatedly quoted and the one you pretend he did not say.

If we drilled every square inch of this country, we would find all the oil in it. So Obama obviously is wrong...the only way for him to not be wrong is if the USGS is wrong.

You conveniently ignored that little tidbit.

I did not ignore it, it is irrelevant. Cost is not something Obama required, no matter how many times you try and pretend he did.

It is apparent you truest your diety more than the scientists whose job it is to discover such things.

Last edited: